Odroid C2 does not boot from orange 64GB eMMC module

Firefly

Armbianmonitor:

I recently bought a 64 GB eMMC module (chip on orange board) from Ordoid/Hardkernel but u-boot does not recognize the eMMC.

What I did:

• installed the official Armbian_20.11.10_Odroidc2_focal_current_5.9.14.img.xz with Etcher on SD card
  • booted successfully from SD card, eMMC is accessible from within Armbian/Ubuntu
  • executed nand-sata-install to transfer the system to eMMC, which completed without error messages
  • shutdown the system, removed SDcard and restarted it

The serial console displayed the following:

U-Boot 2020.10-armbian (Jan 05 2021 - 01:40:47 +0100) odroid-c2                                                                

Model: Hardkernel ODROID-C2                                                                                                    
SoC:   Amlogic Meson GXBB (S905) Revision 1f:c (0:1)                                                                           
DRAM:  2 GiB                                                                                                                   
MMC:   mmc@72000: 0, mmc@74000: 1                                                                                              
In:    serial                                                                                                                  
Out:   serial                                                                                                                  
Err:   serial                                                                                                                  
Net:   eth0: ethernet@c9410000                                                                                                 
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0                                                                                               
Card did not respond to voltage select!                                                                                        
Card did not respond to voltage select!                                                                                        
MMC Device 2 not found                                                                                                         
no mmc device at slot 2                                                                                                        
starting USB...                                                                                                                
Bus usb@c9100000: USB DWC2                                                                                                     
scanning bus usb@c9100000 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found                                                                 
       scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found                                                           

and then tried to boot via network.

I then flashed the eMMC with the official Odroid image ubuntu-20.04-3.16-minimal-odroid-c2-20200617.img.xz and the system booted up successfully, so the eMMC module is working fine.

Next step was to try the nightly build (Armbian_21.02.0-trunk.80_Odroidc2_focal_current_5.10.10_gnome_desktop.img.xz, with Etcher flashed on SD, then nand-sata-install) and again the eMMC as not visible in u-boot so the system did not come up.

Therefore I set up an Armbian build environment and first tried to use this promising patch for u-boot https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-amlogic/-/commit/5ccd5d2cc98224108ae9fb09593a862c9caa5e80 but it seemed not to be suficient.

I then replaced the provided u-boot v2020.10 with the new v2021.01 version and after replacing the kernel and uboot packages with the self compiled ones the eMMC was recognised by u-boot and the system boots from the orange 64GB eMMC module.

U-Boot 2021.01-armbian (Feb 01 2021 - 11:57:23 +0100) odroid-c2

Model: Hardkernel ODROID-C2
SoC:   Amlogic Meson GXBB (S905) Revision 1f:c (0:1)
DRAM:  2 GiB
MMC:   mmc@72000: 0, mmc@74000: 1
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   eth0: ethernet@c9410000
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
Card did not respond to voltage select! : -110
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc1(part 0) is current device
Scanning mmc 1:1...
Found U-Boot script /boot/boot.scr
7136 bytes read in 1 ms (6.8 MiB/s)
## Executing script at 08000000
161 bytes read in 1 ms (157.2 KiB/s)
15703885 bytes read in 342 ms (43.8 MiB/s)
25461248 bytes read in 556 ms (43.7 MiB/s)
38868 bytes read in 2 ms (18.5 MiB/s)
232 bytes read in 1 ms (226.6 KiB/s)
Applying kernel provided DT fixup script (meson-fixup.scr)

The "Card did not respond to voltage select" message is from the missing SD card

Therefore I kindly ask to upgrade the u-boot of Odroid C2 to version 2021.01 in the next release.

45 minutes ago, Firefly said:

Therefore I kindly ask to upgrade the u-boot of Odroid C2 to version 2021.01 in the next release.

You only need to do this:
https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/2601 (sometimes there is lots of work, this time I only lost half an hour)

Optional for adding info to release log:

https://armbian.atlassian.net/browse/AR-628