dtc crash on /sys/firmware/devicetree/base on multiple boards, fixed upstream

Dennboy

Dear all,

My system logs: http://ix.io/2Pgj

I consistency get a crash with dtc on both orangepi, nanopi neo+2, nanopi neo3 when I try to see the current devicetree via the filesystem, e.g.:

$ dtc -I fs /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/
<stdout>: Warning (unit_address_vs_reg): /memory: node has a reg or ranges property, but no unit name
<stdout>: Warning (clocks_property): /soc/spdif@1c21000:clocks: cell 0 is not a phandle reference
<stdout>: Warning (clocks_property): /soc/spdif@1c21000:clocks: cell 2 is not a phandle reference
/dts-v1/;
/ {
[1]    16929 segmentation fault  dtc -I fs /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/

My current work-around is to install the kernel headers and start dtc from there, but headers takes quite long to install:

$ sudo apt install linux-headers-current-sunxi
$ /lib/modules/5.10.12-sunxi/build/scripts/dtc/dtc -I fs /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/
/dts-v1/;

/ {
        compatible = "xunlong,orangepi-zero\0allwinner,sun8i-h2-plus";
        serial-number = "02c000421661c2d2";
        model = "Xunlong Orange Pi Zero";
        interrupt-parent = <0x01>;
        #address-cells = <0x01>;
        #size-cells = <0x01>;
};

I could also try to install an upstream version of dtc, but it would be great if the supplied dtc doesn't crash.

Kind regards,

Dennis

The supplied device tree compiler is from the upstream Debian / Ubuntu repositories. Bugs in those versions should be reported with the appropriate upstream bug tracker.

While it's possible to package a newer version of dtc for Armbian, no one has volunteered the time to prepare and maintain that package going forward.

Armbian is a community supported project. Perhaps you'd be interested?

If not, perhaps this would better be asked in Feature Requests.

Hi tparys,

Thanks for your reply pointing to the upstream debian repo's, and sorry for posting an upstream bug here. I just looked up the dtc package in debian, and they appear to have it fixed in their newest update 1.4.7-4 from 27 january 2021 (see DTC debian changelog), it is now available in Armbian too, and seems to be working. Apparently it took some time to travel to the repo/mirrors, it wasn't yet available when I posted here.

Kind regards,

Dennis

• Dennboy changed the title to dtc crash on /sys/firmware/devicetree/base on multiple boards, fixed upstream
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.