Setting up Static IP address not working

Vin

Hello everybody,

im running a Helios64 with most current Debian Buster5.10.16 image.

I was freshly setting up the device and i am now failing to assign a static ip address to it.

I installed Pi-hole, Home assistant and openmediavault over softy.

During the pihole installation i can setup a static ip address, but after a reboot i still get the old DHCP addess.

I assigned it over the OMV interface but its not applied after a reboot, the armbian-config tool doesnt open when i want to change to static and i also tried netplan.

DHCP is also turned off on my router and switch. i rebooted all of the devices multiple times.

OMV

1186219897_UnbenanntesBild.thumb.png.5d25bb6e789820c2178ea786e9a556c9.png

netplan

network:

ethernets:

eth0:

match:

macaddress: 64:62:66:d0:0a:e0

addresses:

- 192.168.2.64/24

gateway4: 192.168.2.1

dhcp4: false

dhcp6: false

link-local: []

nameservers:

addresses:

/etc/network/interfaces

# This file is auto-generated by openmediavault (https://www.openmediavault.org)

# WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

# Better use netplan.io or systemd-networkd to configure additional interface stanzas.

# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:

source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

Hello tparys,

thank you for you reply

service network status
Unit network.service could not be found.

/etc/network/interfaces.d

its empty

armbianmonitor -u

http://ix.io/2POV

tried

nmcli con mod "Wired connection 1"  ipv4.addresses "192.168.2.64/24"  ipv4.gateway "192.168.2.1"  ipv4.dns "127.0.0.1,192.168.2.1"  ipv4.dns-search "lan" ipv4.method "manual"

didnt do the trick

EDIT2: I just tried a fresh install and apparently the OMV installation breaks something regarding networking.

I setup a static ip via armbian-config and i worked, but when i installed OMV over softy, the CPU run on 100% on one core and the system crashed.

After the automated reboot its back to its DHCP IP 192.168.2.101 instead of 192.168.2.64

grafik.thumb.png.ab87fd869578fcd63acb0713d4f539ad.png

So I'm not super familiar with OMV, so take al this with a grain of salt.

However, I find it easiest to set static IP's via ifupdown. Based on the "source-directory" line you might just put the below in "/etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0", and enable via "systemctl enable networking", and see if that works for you.

iface eth0 inet static
            address 192.168.2.64/24
            gateway 192.168.2.1

Another option for NetworkManager is to use the "nm-connection-editor" application. There's a lot of options for specifying network configurations. I'd check that your IPv4 settings are set up correctly, and you tick the "Connect Automatically" and "All users may connect" tick boxes.

I'm not at all familiar with netplan. But it might be as simple as checking to see if "io.netplan.Netplan.service" is enabled/started?

Failing that, it might just be easier to set a static IP on your home router?

> nmcli con mod "Wired connection 1"  ipv4.addresses "192.168.2.64/24"  ipv4.gateway "192.168.2.1"  ipv4.dns "127.0.0.1,192.168.2.1"  ipv4.dns-search "lan" ipv4.method "manual"

This tells me you're still using NetworkManager - one option as tparys suggested is to configure that properly - but I'm thinking you probably don't need it anyway?

Just do `systemctl disable NetworkManager.service` and it should get out of your way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.