Unable to upgrade linux-image-current-rockchip64

jorgesilva

Armbianmonitor:

Hi, I am running armbian on a RockPi4 C with a penta-sata hat and OMV5 - I am unable to upgrade the kernel , other than this the system is stable

apt upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  linux-image-current-rockchip64
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/39.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 19.5 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 61066 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-current-rockchip64_21.02.2_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-current-rockchip64 (21.02.2) over (21.02.1) ...
Kernel configuration : earlyprintk console=ttyFIQ0,1500000n8 rw init=/sbin/init rootfstype=ext4 rootwait root=PARTUUID=B921B045-1DF0-41C3-AF44-4C6F280D3FAE

Creating new extlinux.conf...
cp: cannot stat '/usr/lib/linux-image-5.10.16-rockchip64': No such file or directory
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-extlinux exited with return code 1
dpkg: warning: old linux-image-current-rockchip64 package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: trying script from the new package instead ...
Kernel configuration : earlyprintk console=ttyFIQ0,1500000n8 rw init=/sbin/init rootfstype=ext4 rootwait root=PARTUUID=B921B045-1DF0-41C3-AF44-4C6F280D3FAE

cp: cannot stat '/usr/lib/linux-image-5.10.16-rockchip64': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-current-rockchip64_21.02.2_arm64.deb (--unpack):
 new linux-image-current-rockchip64 package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1

cp: cannot stat '/usr/lib/linux-image-5.10.12-rockchip64': No such file or directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 new linux-image-current-rockchip64 package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-current-rockchip64_21.02.2_arm64.deb

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

1 hour ago, jorgesilva said:

with a penta-sata hat and OMV5

Does Armbian works and upgrades without severe changes (OMV) to the OS? I assume it does. If it wouldn't, then we will try to do something about. Support terms https://github.com/armbian/build#support 

Personally, I don't known nothing about OMV and Armbian does not support 3rd party software suites, not even software packages that are a part of the OS. Sorry. Already without that its waaaaay too much.

Moving to general section.

Hi yes, OMV is working flawlessly, with docker (even have Plex server running, with transcoding of 4k videos, no problem).  The installation of OMV was done by installing the vanilla armbian image and running a script to isnatll, the kernel upgrade is the only thing not working. Thanks for the help.. I'll look into it further.

I have figured out part of the problem, not sure how it got to this state, stock armbian installed the linux image to :

/usr/lib/linux-image-current-rockchip64

When upgrading to :linux-image-5.10.16-rockchip64, when updating the kernel, It was expected to find linux-image-5.10.12-rockchip64 directory and since it couldn't find it the install script bombed.

What I did to "fix" it, moved linux-image-current-rockchip64 to linux-image-5.10.12-rockchip64 and linked linux-image-current-rockchip64 to linux-image-5.10.12-rockchip64.

and created the links necessary:

/usr/lib/linux-image-current-rockchip64 -> linux-image-5.10.12-rockchip64,

/boot/uInitrd -> uInitrd-5.10.16-rockchip64

/boot/Image -> vmlinuz-5.10.16-rockchip64

it didn't create the :

/boot/dtb -> dtbs/5.10.16-rockchip64

even though it copied the overlays to the dtbs directory. I managed to boot off usb and create the link and the system booted up.

I notice that the script below is responsible for creating the above links, but it doesn't creat the dtb one - is this a bug?

/etc/initramfs/post-update.d/99-uboot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.