No audio from the analog AV port...

as400

Hi Balbes150 and All,

Thank you very much for your hard work and what you are providing for free to the community!

It's my first post and I have a question.

Have been running the latest build (Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.9.0.img) from eMMC, on couple of my boxes here (AMlogic S905X meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb) and it is very stable. LAN, WiFi, IR, HDMI with audio, all work great without any additional work! THANKS :-)

But there is one feature that I need badly that doesn't work for me: Sound from the analog AV port. For now I have a cheap audio USB dongle plugged in but I'd rather use the onboard audio card if I can (I am making a battery operated internet radio).

I run sound.sh but that did not solve the problem. Any help very much appreciated!

Best regards,
franck

@as400  I was going to point you to read the TV Box club FAQ entry on overall status (https://forum.armbian.com/topic/16976-status-of-armbian-on-tv-boxes-please-read-first)

Honestly you have more working than most users as wifi and ir are not something I would expect to be working for you.  Since you are running Amlogic boxes, you should be aware that balbes150 stopped his support of that CPU back in October.  While he is still involved in Armbian he has mostly gotten out of supporting end users of the TV boxes.  You were actually fortunate to get a response from him directly as that is rare these days in the TV box forums.

I however have a question for you.  Your original post didn't mention which boxes you have running.  If you could take the time, it would be appreciated if you could post your results for others.  I have recently started gathering information of working boxes in a consistent standardized format: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/16814-template-to-report-a-working-tv-box

Hi balbes150 & SteeMan,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Very honored!

Too bad AV out audio is not supported anymore. It was working in older builds like with kernel 3.14.29.

Below is the list of my 4 boxes running your builds, all from eMMC, all headless because I'm building radio as a hobby (FM, DAB, INTERNET, MP3). Bluetooth untested because I don't need it:

(1) MINIX NEO X6 running "Armbian_5.44_S805_Ubuntu_bionic_3.10.108_server_20180521.img" S805 with meson8b_m201_1G.dtb (LAN OK, WIFI OK after modprobe 8723bs, beautiful internal audio thru 3.5 mm jack, IR NO, HDMI NO)

(2) CGV EXP@ND running "Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_buster_current_5.9.0.img" S905X with meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb (LAN OK, WIFI OK, IR OK, HDMI OK, NO audio from AV port ;-)
Previously on this box I had running "Armbian_5.91_Aml-s905_Debian_buster_default_5.1.0_20190708.img" with gxl_p212_2g.dtb and it was working good too but I feel the newest build is better and boot time is faster. Faster boot time is important for a radio :-)

(3) STRONG SRT 2023 running "Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.9.0.img" S905X with meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb (LAN OK, WIFI OK, IR OK, HDMI OK, NO audio from AV port ;-)

(4) EMATIC SRT 202 running "Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_focal_current_5.9.0.img" S905X with meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb (LAN OK, WIFI OK, IR OK, HDMI OK, NO audio from AV port ;-)

Again congratulations for all your work. It works well!

All the best,
franck

1 hour ago, as400 said:

So my question is why did you drop AV out audio feature from kernel 3 to kernel 5?

It wasn't dropped, it was never added.  The legacy 3.x kernels are the vendor supplied kernels which take a base kernel and add a bunch of customizations on top (some with and some without source code).  The mainline kernels are the kernels that have the hardware support integrated into the mainline code base.  Because the vendors don't provide much if any support for their hardware/software, they generally don't care about getting their proprietary code/features into the mainline kernel tree.  Thus while moving from the vendor kernel to the mainline kernel you end up loosing functionality.

1 hour ago, as400 said:

Any concerns in using "3.14.29 messy kernel" for long term use?

I wouldn't personally use a legacy vendor kernel.  There is no support, no bug fixes, no security fixes.