RK3288 and RK3188

balbes150

1 hour ago, Billyme said:

I can help with the testing but im newbie so i will need guidance 

I guess you have already updated the file name rk3188-rbox-cs968.dtb in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf (by default it includes  FDT /boot/dtb/rk3188-ugoos-ut2.dtb). If this is the case and you still have no hdmi output, I'm afraid I can't help you.

3 hours ago, vindio74 said:

I guess you have already updated the file name rk3188-rbox-cs968.dtb in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf (by default it includes  FDT /boot/dtb/rk3188-ugoos-ut2.dtb). If this is the case and you still have no hdmi output, I'm afraid I can't help you.

I managed to install it and hdmi is working with an issue. I can login to desktop but when i open a video or a program the hdmi display disappears but the box is still working. I can access it via ssh but no hdmi output. If i restart I can see the desktop normally until i run a program or so. 
below the armbianmonitor file
http://ix.io/3J3W
can any
one help?

update. I havent changed the dtb file and what i described is happening, If I change it to the cs968b one I dont have hdmi output at all

30.12.2021 в 19:43, maksymk сказал:

do you have kernel, ramdisk and rootfs as separate files? I am looking to flash them to the nand instead of using sdcard. I am having hard time trying to unpack uboot image.

No, I don't have them.

56 минут назад, Billyme сказал:

I managed to extract an old android 4.4 firmware for my box will this help to build a new img that will be compatible?

No

On my Minix Neo X7 I was able to get images of Armbian Hirsute up and running, after changing 'rk3188-ugoos-ut2.dtb' into 'rk3188-rbox-cs968.dtb' in the '/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf' file.

However, all of these cause my X7 to hang sooner or later. This can differ from hanging during the boot procedure to hanging after using the system for about 30 minutes.  I even played an mp4 video once.

I tested several uSD cards and adapters from SanDisk to Samsung evo plus,  from 4GB to 128GB. All with the same result. 

When booting my X7 to run the X250 Android image from NAND,  it runs for hours and hours, so I guess I can rule out a hardware issue. 

Is there some way to flash the Armbian Hirsute image to NAND to see if that might run it more stable?

4 hours ago, Capeschae said:

On my Minix Neo X7 I was able to get images of Armbian Hirsute up and running, after changing 'rk3188-ugoos-ut2.dtb' into 'rk3188-rbox-cs968.dtb' in the '/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf' file.

However, all of these cause my X7 to hang sooner or later. This can differ from hanging during the boot procedure to hanging after using the system for about 30 minutes.  I even played an mp4 video once.

I tested several uSD cards and adapters from SanDisk to Samsung evo plus,  from 4GB to 128GB. All with the same result. 

When booting my X7 to run the X250 Android image from NAND,  it runs for hours and hours, so I guess I can rule out a hardware issue. 

Is there some way to flash the Armbian Hirsute image to NAND to see if that might run it more stable?

I have exactly the same problem. Does your screen hows black?

On 1/16/2022 at 1:50 PM, Billyme said:

I have exactly the same problem. Does your screen hows black?

Sometimes it goes black, but more often I get a sort of vertical lines,  as if some pixels of a line are repeated in every line all over the screen. 

When I only connect using SSH this also occurs sooner or later.  Normally within 30 minutes or less.  Also the system is hanging; there is no connection anymore over SSH. The only solution is rebooting. 

As mentioned before this can happen during booting of the system or later,  f/I after login. 

I never have this when running the android from NAND.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? 

On 1/23/2022 at 8:36 AM, Billyme said:

I think it has to do with the drivers or something. I have the same thing and i dont believe it has to do with nand

Hi Billyme,

After looking into the dts file ( de-compiled dtb file),  I found a power supply configuration that was set too low (1.1Volt instead of 1.2 Volt) for the IT66121FN HDMI chip.  I changed this, compiled it into a dtb file and now everything seems to run stable for hours.  However,  a lot of things don't run yet. No audio, no Bluetooth,  no internal WiFi and no internal LAN.

Unfortunately I have no schematic diagrams or address map of the Minix Neo X7, so it's educated guessing and "changeneering". I don't know if will succeed to get these working in the future, but for me this is more fun than solving a sudoku.

I will first run my X7 for a couple of days to see if there are no drawbacks. I will let you know. 

@balbes150 Please let me know if you want me to change this to a new thread.  Thanks for providing this fantastic new Armbian for our RK3188 devices!

1 hour ago, Capeschae said:

Hi Billyme,

After looking into the dts file ( de-compiled dtb file),  I found a power supply configuration that was set too low (1.1Volt instead of 1.2 Volt) for the IT66121FN HDMI chip.  I changed this, compiled it into a dtb file and now everything seems to run stable for hours.  However,  a lot of things don't run yet. No audio, no Bluetooth,  no internal WiFi and no internal LAN.

Unfortunately I have no schematic diagrams or address map of the Minix Neo X7, so it's educated guessing and "changeneering". I don't know if will succeed to get these working in the future, but for me this is more fun than solving a sudoku.

I will first run my X7 for a couple of days to see if there are no drawbacks. I will let you know. 

@balbes150 Please let me know if you want me to change this to a new thread.  Thanks for providing this fantastic new Armbian for our RK3188 devices!

Thank you for your reply. If you like can you send me the dts file in order to check it?

On 1/25/2022 at 11:34 PM, Capeschae said:

However,  a lot of things don't run yet. No audio, no Bluetooth,  no internal WiFi and no internal LAN.

You managed to patch dts files, so probably this comment should help you with internal LAN.

4 hours ago, BOBAH said:

You managed to patch dts files, so probably this comment should help you with internal LAN.

Unfortunately the Minix X7 seems to use internally some kind of LAN via USB, based on the Realtek8152B. I doubt if this solution will work for the X7.

At this moment I have no idea how to bind the 8152B in the dts to make it work. 

The strange thing is that I have an old Debian Wheezy that functions properly with internal LAN, but this build is not stable for long term use. The (older) Armbian version (also by Balbes) that I use now is running for days without problems, although LAN, audio, internal WiFi and reboot are not working. Momentarily I use Wifi via a USB adapter.

18 hours ago, balbes150 said:

show the output "lsmod", maybe there is a module that serves LAN.

I just reflashed my Minix X7 to the old Debian Wheezy. Unfortunately the lsmod command does not give any info:

root@debian:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
root@debian:~#

Anything else I can do?

6 hours ago, BOBAH said:

Have you output of lsusb command?

Here you go:

root@debian:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:8152 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

6 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

try to pull out the kernel configuration on the old system

cat /proc/config.gz  > config.gz

and attach the received file

No succes:

root@debian:~# cat /proc/config.gz  > config.gz
cat: /proc/config.gz: No such file or directory

Might some info from dmesg help?

1 hour ago, Capeschae said:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:8152 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

You right - 0bda:8152 is "RTL8152 Fast Ethernet Adapter"
And because it is USB device, it is Plug&Play devices, so you don't need to update dts file.

But to support this device, your Armbian build should contain this driver (module).

1 hour ago, BOBAH said:

You right - 0bda:8152 is "RTL8152 Fast Ethernet Adapter"
And because it is USB device, it is Plug&Play devices, so you don't need to update dts file.

But to support this device, your Armbian build should contain this driver (module).

So, if it is supported in the build, it actually should work without any entry in the dts file. That makes sense as it is recognised as a USB device.

Should any LAN references in the dts be removed? Could the LAN references in the dts somehow interfere?

3 hours ago, balbes150 said:

No, a full kernel configuration is needed for analysis. Try other options for getting the configuration, maybe there are other ways on the Internet.

Whatever I try I get errors like:  could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/3.0.36+/modules.dep.bin'

Errors always refer to version 3.0.36+.

When checking my version I get:

root@debian:/lib/modules# uname --kernel-name --kernel-release --machine
Linux 3.0.36+ armv7l

HOWEVER...

In /lib/moddules I found following folders:

root@debian:/lib/modules# ls
3.2.0-4-vexpress  3.4.79-r0-s-rm1+

But no 3.0.36+.

Might there be files in those folders that could help for a kernel configuration analysis?

19 hours ago, BOBAH said:

if output of ifconfig don't contain eth0 or similar, you may left the dts file as is

ifconfig does NOT contain eth0, only "lo" and "wlan0"(external USB-Wifi)

In dmesg I find that the USB devices found include the internal USB Hub (USB2514B) and the EXTERNAL WLAN stick (Ralink RT3571). The internal LAN via USB (8152B) is NOT detected during boot.

Hardware is OK as it works properly with my original Minix X7 firmware.

Also , when using lsmod there is no 8152B.

Edited by Capeschae
Additional info.

13 minutes ago, BOBAH said:

can you please show usb devices with they drivers:lsusb -t

This is the output for "lsusb -t" on the ARMBIAN system:

/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc2/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
        |__ Port 3: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=rt2800usb, 480M
        |__ Port 4: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc2/1p, 480M

Currently an external Wifi adapter and an external HDD are connected to the USB.

It seems like the internal LAN adapter is not recognised or the corresponding drivers are not available.

@BOBAH I just installed vncserver to have an easier way to edit the dts. However, when I go into the editor I find a different dts that does not reflect my modifications, to be the current dts. It is different than the one I referred to in extlinux.conf (FDT /boot/dtb/X7alpha1.dtb), which is from a dts modified to get my system run stable.

Any idea which DTS is used?