Jetson Nano

balbes150

Question

Good news.  :)

Thanks to the work of many, there is now a real opportunity to run the Armbian system with the main core on Jetson Nano, and more importantly, it is easy to integrate the image build process into the official GIT Armbian. In the near future, I plan to post ready-made images with the latest kernel 5.10.22 on the download site. To run them, you need to update u-boot to Jetson Nano. This is very easy to do, just run the latest official version of Ubuntu for Jetson Nano from the SD card, it will update itself in SPI (?) u-boot to the latest version (2020.04), after that you can run Armbian from any SD card or USB media. The new u-boot supports automatic system startup from both media or over the network. Also, now you can build an Armbian image for Jetson Nano yourself, easily build the latest kernel with the necessary options, etc.  

https://users.armbian.com/balbes150/

https://mega.nz/#F!j9QSDQSQ!6WpasOlbZYIInfw6yo4phQ

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/XBRXnig7F1M4rw?w=1

On 5/2/2021 at 7:02 PM, TonyMac32 said:

So far my Jetson Nano won't get to desktop using the images on the download site.  I have the original one, is this a device tree issue?

Hello. I have the same problem... No one from armbian images works. Works image from that site .: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/xubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-l4t-r32-3-1-custom-image-for-the-jetson-nano/121768. And of course oryginal linux4tegra from Nvidia...But i would like switch to kernel 5.10 or 5.15, becuse snap does not work properly on 4.9... 

13 часов назад, constantius сказал:

Hello. I have the same problem... No one from armbian images works. Works image from that site .: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/xubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-l4t-r32-3-1-custom-image-for-the-jetson-nano/121768. And of course oryginal linux4tegra from Nvidia...But i would like switch to kernel 5.10 or 5.15, becuse snap does not work properly on 4.9... 

Have you updated u-boot to the latest version? If you have the latest version of u-boot in SPI and Armbian does not start. Perform a complete cleaning of the SD card (please note that a complete cleaning should erase all information up to the last sector). When writing other images to SD\USB that you used, it contains incorrect information from the GPT partition table. This prevents the Armbian version from working properly. Or use a USB drive that has not yet recorded other images for Nano. I tested the startup and it works fine from SD and from USB media with a desktop. You can also try the AltLinux version of images for Nano, it uses two cores 5.10 and 5.15.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/74uKvLsO5wp6Ww

If this does not help, provide the full startup log from the UART console.

@constantius - just two little notes: to upgrade your u-boot which can then boot other systems you'll have to install the latest jetpack image once (it will do the upgrade as part of the installation) and to wipe the disk "sgdisk -Z /dev/xyz" might be helpful - it will destroy all former gpt partition information (also the backup copy at the end of the disk) and is very fast

best wishes - hexdump

12 часов назад, hexdump сказал:

to upgrade your u-boot which can then boot other systems you'll have to install the latest jetpack image once (it will do the upgrade as part of the installation)

To update u-boot, you can simply run the latest official Ubuntu image for Jetson Nano and when launched from an SD card, it will update everything in SPI itself. After that, you can run any system from USB media, which is much faster than an SD card.

Hi, I've updated my jetson nano 4gb to the latest uboot, booting from the latest Ubuntu image for the nano, and i always get stuck at the Nvidia logo after an update or after installing OMV (without updating) from softy option in armbian-config. What am i doing weong to get this to work?

Using  either 21.05 buster current or 21.08 focal current same results.

Edited by Julz24
Additional details

30.12.2021 в 20:47, constantius сказал:

2. Armbian 4.9 stops work

use the correct version with LEGACY kernel (4.9), they work with the new u-boot.

3. Rest of images with newer kernel - if tou upgrade kernal - system stop working - you must disable kernel upgrade via armbian-config

the update is not working yet, there will be a transition to a new version of the used kernel.

4. What a suprise - no audio..... hm

no surprise, there is information about this in the topic, read carefully

10 часов назад, Julz24 сказал:

an update or after installing OMV (without updating) from softy option in armbian-config

Where have you seen that this option works on Jetson Nano ?

I've ordered a Intel 9560 wifi/bt m.2 module for my Nano which I don't think is supported by Jetpack without patching and rebuilding its kernel so I'm going to be giving Armbian a shot to see if it'll work with that. It's great to see the Nano is officially supported by Armbian now, it wasn't last time I checked.

I have a few questions other than my wifi compat:

Is there not a page showing the status of this port? I can't find it. What isn't working yet, specifically

* HDMI audio

* Displayport

* NVDEC

* Accelerated 3D (OG or Vulkan)

* Re-clocking the CPU / GPU

Someone mentioned audio doesn't work I presume they mean HDMI audio doesn't work?

Does the current kernel include support for the Fe-Pi Audio Z GPIO sound card?

Is Armbian for the nano installed the same way as on every other sbc? I recall reading on the forums that you used to have to install Jetpack first and then replace its root fs with the Armbian one? Is this still the case?

I'm happy to see there is a Ubuntu Jammy test image for the nano that includes kernel 5.16. The 5.16 kernel has support for nvdec video decoding but has this been enabled and has anyone tested the nvdec patched mpv with this yet?

22 часа назад, danboid сказал:

Is there not a page showing the status of this port?

What page are you writing about ?

HDMI audio

It is present in the 5.16 kernel, but it has not been tested in operation (it may not work or requires additional settings)

Displayport

It is not tested because there is no corresponding equipment.

NVDEC

* Accelerated 3D (OG or Vulkan)

* Re-clocking the CPU / GPU

For legacy kernel work (As far as I remember)

For kernel 5.x - no test. Write a script (steps) to check or check for yourself.

Does the current kernel include support for the Fe-Pi Audio Z GPIO sound card?

No

Is Armbian for the nano installed the same way as on every other sbc? I recall reading on the forums that you used to have to install Jetpack first and then replace its root fs with the Armbian one? Is this still the case?

After burning an SD card or USB media (now direct system startup is supported immediately from USB without an SD card), nothing needs to be copied or changed. A prerequisite is updating u-boot to the latest version (this happens automatically when the official Ubuntu NVIDIA image is launched from the SD card once).

has anyone tested the nvdec patched mpv with this yet?

Not tested.

23 hours ago, danboid said:

Is there not a page showing the status of this port? I can't find it. What isn't working yet, specifically

Will you cover expenses of person(s) providing you that? If not, this is what you get:
https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Board-Support-Rules/#benefits-provided-for-a-supported-sbc

Even with platinum support, we can't afford to provide such luxury.

Thanks for your reply Balbes!

I have tested a few of the latest armbian builds now. The Jammy test image didn't boot at all off my USB 3 SSD but I got both the Hirsuite image and the Focal XFCE desktop images to boot but, as Balbes said, neither kernel brought up my Fe-Pi GPIO soundcard and nor do the current kernels seem to have any support compiled in for the i9560 wifi module.

hdparm rates the read speed of my USB 3 SATA 3 disk at about 120 MB/s which is about a third of the speed that I get using this same disk under Jetpack. Why is this? Is there a closed source / non mainline NVIDIA XHCI driver?

The biggest problem I have with armbian currently on the nano is the screen frequently flickers. It flickers when nothing is moving on the screen but the flickering is worse when the screen is updating. This happens under both X and the text console on both of my (4K) HDMI displays, under both Focal and Hirsuite.

Good to hear HDMI audio should be working under the latest kernel!

18.01.2022 в 05:42, danboid сказал:

Is there a closed source / non mainline NVIDIA XHCI driver?

Yes

The biggest problem I have with armbian currently on the nano is the screen frequently flickers. It flickers when nothing is moving on the screen but the flickering is worse when the screen is updating. This happens under both X and the text console on both of my (4K) HDMI displays, under both Focal and Hirsuite.

I do not observe such a problem myself. Two different test TV and monitor are working correctly. What settings are you trying to use?

Try using images from here.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/XBRXnig7F1M4rw

Good to hear HDMI audio should be working under the latest kernel!

At the moment, getting a working HDMI sound is not a top priority. I have not checked its operation, but I see that there are sound devices with a huge number of settings (it takes a lot of time to check them). If you find the correct parameters and provide the resulting settings file (/var/lib/alsa/asound.state), I will be able to include it in the resulting images.

The Jammy test image didn't boot at all off my USB 3 SSD but

I checked the latest test version and found a bug in u-boot that prevents the system from starting correctly. By default, too little space is allocated for Initrd when loading, so the kernel file (Image) is superimposed on the Initrd address range, which causes its destruction. A temporary solution. Open the UART console and run two commands that will fix the problem and they will allow you to run any system in the future..

setenv kernel_addr_r 0x85000000

saveenv

10 hours ago, balbes150 said:

I checked the latest test version and found a bug in u-boot that prevents the system from starting correctly. By default, too little space is allocated for Initrd when loading, so the kernel file (Image) is superimposed on the Initrd address range, which causes its destruction. A temporary solution. Open the UART console and run two commands that will fix the problem and they will allow you to run any system in the future..

setenv kernel_addr_r 0x85000000

saveenv

I'm not sure how to do this. Do I need to connect a USB or serial cable and do a boot ritual to run these commands?

On 1/19/2022 at 12:12 PM, balbes150 said:

Yes

I do not observe such a problem myself. Two different test TV and monitor are working correctly. What settings are you trying to use?

Try using images from here.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/XBRXnig7F1M4rw

At the moment, getting a working HDMI sound is not a top priority. I have not checked its operation, but I see that there are sound devices with a huge number of settings (it takes a lot of time to check them). If you find the correct parameters and provide the resulting settings file (/var/lib/alsa/asound.state), I will be able to include it in the resulting images.

I tried three more Armbian images tonight:

Armbian_21.11.0-trunk_Jetson-nano_hirsute_edge_5.15.10_xfce_desktop.img - Didn't boot at all

Armbian_21.11.0-trunk_Jetson-nano_hirsute_current_5.10.84_xfce_desktop.img - Boots but display flickers

Armbian_21.08.0-trunk_Jetson-nano_focal_edge_5.12.13_xfce_desktop.img - Boots but display flickers

Both of my displays are 4K, one is 120 Hz, the other is 60 Hz. Are your displays 4K or UHD capable? It might not happen at 1080p.

9 часов назад, danboid сказал:

I'm not sure how to do this. Do I need to connect a USB or serial cable and do a boot ritual to run these commands?

Yes, these are commands for the UART console. But in the near future I will publish another solution to this problem, which does not need a UART console.

9 часов назад, danboid сказал:

Are your displays 4K or UHD capable?

No. I'm only testing for 1080p

try switching in the settings. in fact, 120 Hz is a useless trick of marketers \ manufacturers, which has nothing useful for the human eye.

The procedure for updating (fixing) the latest version of u-boot for Jetson Nano. Fixes the system startup error when the Initrd size is more than 14 MB.

1. Download the boot.scr file from the link.

2. Prepare any clean media (you can use any media SD card or USB flash drive of any size). The media must be formatted in FAT32 or EXT2\3\4.

3. Write the boot.scr file to the media

4. Connect the media to the Jetson Nano and turn on the power.

5 Wait 3-4 Minutes and turn off the power, disconnect the media.

This is a one-time procedure that automatically fixes an error in u-boot SPI. After that, you can use any systems from external media.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/p1uI2wyAfpoLRA

I ran boot.scr and then tried Armbian_22.02.0-trunk.0016_Jetson-nano_jammy_edge_5.16.2.img and it booted so I think your script worked but 5.16.2 is still flickering.

4K support is the hill I will die on unfortunately. Without working 4K HDMI output I can't use my nano for video playback which is exactly what I bought it for. Hopefully you have a friend with a 4K TV who you might be able to try your Nano on to see if you get the same results.

Armbian only needs to support USB class compliant sound cards really. I'll test that when the flickering gets fixed.

I'll attach a boot log.

10 часов назад, danboid сказал:

5.16.2 is still flickering.

Have you checked the setting of different output frequencies ?

4K support is the hill I will die on unfortunately. Without working 4K HDMI output I can't use my nano for video playback which is exactly what I bought it for.

have you checked the legacy kernel version ?

Armbian only needs to support USB class compliant sound cards really.

For the current and edge versions, all sound devices available in the USB core are included.

Try the AltLinux versions (there is a link to the images above in the topic), it's interesting to fuck up the behavior with the screen flickering.

regular-mate-tegra-arm-20211217-aarch64.img - screen flickers

Armbian_21.08.1_Jetson-nano_focal_legacy_4.9.201_xfce_desktop.img.xz - no flickering

It looks like the mainline kernel has issues with 4K displays on the Nano.

Is support for the Intel 9560NGW enabled in the Armbian kernel? I think it needs the iwlwifi-9000 modules.

I was unable to update the latest jammy test image due to the attached apt errors.

Thanks Balbes!

jammy-apt-warnings.jpg

jammy-apt-error.jpg

32 минуты назад, danboid сказал:

Is support for the Intel 9560NGW enabled in the Armbian kernel? I think it needs the iwlwifi-9000 modules.

there is a kernel config in the /boot directory that is used during the build, you can check it for the necessary options. You can also rebuild the kernel yourself on Jetson Nano itself (using the Armbian build system it's very easy) using your kernel config changes.

35 минут назад, danboid сказал:

I was unable to update the latest jammy test image due to the attached apt errors.

maybe there are problems with your provider ?

2 минуты назад, Igor сказал:

Perhaps sum relevant information - how to 100% successfully boot Nano - at the download pages. I also didn't have success booting any recent image. Only one partially via USB and official Ubuntu.

Yes, I plan to create a PR with a new set of images (targets.conf) and edit the download page and add information about the fix.

Have you launched the u-boot fix (the order of which is described above) after upgrading u-boot to the latest official version?

4 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Have you launched the u-boot fix (the order of which is described above) after upgrading u-boot to the latest official version?

I have booted stock Ubuntu, then our images - from SD and USB. Didn't know anything else is needed ... I went on this strictly from user perspective ;) Also there is nothing on default UART when booting mainline. 

8 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Yes, I plan to create a PR with a new set of images (targets.conf) and edit the download page and add information about the fix.

Perfect and I will rebuild them at once.

1 минуту назад, Igor сказал:

I have booted stock Ubuntu, then our images - from SD and USB. Didn't know anything else is needed ... I went on this strictly from user perspective ;) Also there is nothing on default UART when booting mainline. 

The launch of the correction is a forced temporary measure, until the moment when a new version of the Initrd formation will be used. We discussed this with @rpardini on github. :)

The problem there is that by default, little space is allocated to Initrd in u-boot, and if its size is larger than 14 MB, then the subsequent loading of the kernel file is superimposed on it and spoils it. It's strange, my UART output works without problems on all cores\images.

Hi,

Thanks for your work here.  I've been playing with the 5.1x kernels on my Jetson Nano and using your configuration has solved some problems for me.  One outstanding issue is that I can't power the unit off.  "halt -p" goes through the shutdown motions but I end up with the error list below.  The standard Nvidia 4.9 kernels do work here.

[[36minfo[39;49m] Will now halt.
[ 1727.490264] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
[ 1727.537882] pci_generic_config_write32: 16 callbacks suppressed
[ 1727.537896] pci_bus 0000:00: 2-byte config write to 0000:00:02.0 offset 0x9c may corrupt adjacent RW1C bits
[ 1727.553677] pci_bus 0000:00: 2-byte config write to 0000:00:02.0 offset 0x88 may corrupt adjacent RW1C bits
[ 1727.563691] pci_bus 0000:00: 2-byte config write to 0000:00:02.0 offset 0x4 may corrupt adjacent RW1C bits
[ 1727.575332] reboot: Power down
ERROR:   Tegra System Off: operation not handled.
PANIC in EL3 at x30 = 0x00000000ff8024c8
x0 =		0x0000000000000000
x1 =		0x0000000070006000
x2 =		0x0000000000000060
x3 =		0x00000000ff805570
x4 =		0x00000000ff8054f0
x5 =		0x0000000084000008
x6 =		0x00000000ff80fd40
x7 =		0x0000000000000001
x8 =		0x0000000000017fe8
x9 =		0xffff800011fa5f70
x10 =		0x0000000000000040
x11 =		0x00000000ff80c810
x12 =		0x00000000ff80d5c0
x13 =		0x00000000ffffffea
x14 =		0x00000000ff814e28
x15 =		0x00000000ff803b94
x16 =		0x0000000060000085
x17 =		0xffff80001002593c
x18 =		0x0000000000000735
x19 =		0x00000000ff815000
x20 =		0xffff800011f31948
x21 =		0x0000000028121969
x22 =		0xffff800011f4b590
x23 =		0x00000000fee1dead
x24 =		0x0000000000000802
x25 =		0x0000000000000000
x26 =		0x0000000000000000
x27 =		0x0000000000000000
x28 =		0xffff000085308e40
x29 =		0x00000000ff80d550
scr_el3 =		0x0000000000000735
sctlr_el3 =		0x0000000000cd183f
cptr_el3 =		0x0000000000000000
tcr_el3 =		0x000000008081351d
daif =		0x00000000000002c0
mair_el3 =		0x00000000004404ff
spsr_el3 =		0x0000000060000085
elr_el3 =		0xffff80001002593c
ttbr0_el3 =		0x00000000ff814b00
esr_el3 =		0x000000005e000000
far_el3 =		0x0000000000000000
spsr_el1 =		0x0000000020000005
elr_el1 =		0xffff8000100f1cf8
spsr_abt =		0x0000000000000000
spsr_und =		0x0000000000000000
spsr_irq =		0x0000000000000000
spsr_fiq =		0x0000000000000000
sctlr_el1 =		0x0000000034d4d91d
actlr_el1 =		0x0000000000000000
cpacr_el1 =		0x0000000000300000
csselr_el1 =		0x0000000000000000
sp_el1 =		0xffff800014043c50
esr_el1 =		0x0000000000000000
ttbr0_el1 =		0x00000001075d8000
ttbr1_el1 =		0x1edc000085b22000
mair_el1 =		0x000c0400bb44ffff
amair_el1 =		0x0000000000000000
tcr_el1 =		0x00000034b5503510
tpidr_el1 =		0xffff8000ecd0b000
tpidr_el0 =		0x0000ffff80cd02c0
tpidrro_el0 =		0x0000000000000000
dacr32_el2 =		0x0000000000000000
ifsr32_el2 =		0x0000000000000000
par_el1 =		0x0000000000000000
mpidr_el1 =		0x0000000080000000
afsr0_el1 =		0x0000000000000000
afsr1_el1 =		0x0000000000000000
contextidr_el1 =		0x0000000000000000
vbar_el1 =		0xffff800010010800
cntp_ctl_el0 =		0x0000000000000000
cntp_cval_el0 =		0x0000000000000000
cntv_ctl_el0 =		0x0000000000000000
cntv_cval_el0 =		0x0000000000000000
cntkctl_el1 =		0x00000000000000a6
fpexc32_el2 =		0x0000000000000700
sp_el0 =		0x00000000ff80d550
isr_el1 =		0x0000000000000080
cpuectlr_el1 =		0x0000001b00000047
cpumerrsr_el1 =		0x0000000000000000
l2merrsr_el1 =		0x0000000000000000
gicc_hppir =		0x00000000000003fe
gicc_ahppir =		0x00000000000000d0
gicc_ctlr =		0x00000000000005eb
gicd_ispendr regs (Offsets 0x200 - 0x278)
 Offset:			value
0000000000000200:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000204:		0x0000000000000400
0000000000000208:		0x0000000000000000
000000000000020c:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000210:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000214:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000218:		0x00000000000b0000
000000000000021c:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000220:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000224:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000228:		0x0000000000000000
000000000000022c:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000230:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000234:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000238:		0x0000000000000000
000000000000023c:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000240:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000244:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000248:		0x0000000000000000
000000000000024c:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000250:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000254:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000258:		0x0000000000000000
000000000000025c:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000260:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000264:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000268:		0x0000000000000000
000000000000026c:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000270:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000274:		0x0000000000000000
0000000000000278:		0x0000000000000000
000000000000027c:		0x0000000000000000

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Are you using the standard kernel or are patches required ?

Thanks,

Steven