MX10 Box support issues

MX10.AC2N

Hello, and thank you @balbes150 for his great work .. So I have an MX10 Tvbox (MXQ-RK3328-D4_A VER: 1.0 DATE: 20170713) and I was able to install on the Emmc (Armbian_20.07_Rk3328-tv_buster_current_5.7.8.img). It works really well, but I have a problem that I cannot target ... So I made the updates from the firmware of Balbes150, I installed YUNOHOST (great job by the way) and I therefore find myself with my MX10 transformed into a web server (Nextcloud, Jellyfin, Rainloop, ...) it works nickel ... I therefore invested in a 500GB SSD to put on the box ..

And here are the concerns that arrive ... My SSD is recognized as a SCSI disk ?? finally I can build it, assemble it, no worries .. On the other hand, when I start to transfer files to my SSD via sftp after a while everything freezes and I have to unplug the electric adapter. I only managed to reproduce this problem by running a memtester with 2500M but I had to be at the limit of available RAM. Everything works fine, I monitor the values of use CPU, RAM, .. during a transfer and until the moment of freezing, and everything is fine the CPU has never overloaded, and on the RAM it uses between 25 and 35%, everything is good but suddenly I lose everything, freezes ... I wonder if this could not be a power problem, I run the box with its original adapter which gives 5V and 2.5A, shouldn't an adapter with a little more amperage, since I plugged in an SSD drive via a usb3 to SATA adapter ??

I hope to succeed in running this damn machine, but I still look at other SOCs, and I take this opportunity to ask your opinion, which machine is the most suitable today for ARMBIAN in web-server mode for personal use. I looked at the M1 Station but there is only 2G of RAM left to sell, and I also looked at the really interesting Odroid HC4 with its integrated SATA ports but only USB2 and multimedia playback level I do not not really know ..?

What do you think ?

And thank you again for everything you do ..

47 минут назад, MX10.AC2N сказал:

Armbian_20.07_Rk3328-tv_buster_current_5.7.8.img

This is an old image, the latest images already use kernel 5.10.19.

52 минуты назад, MX10.AC2N сказал:

for ARMBIAN in web-server mode for personal use

Sorry, but I don't know what the hardware (resource) requirements are for your use case. You write about large amounts of data copying and I do not understand how this is related to the Web server.

I would not rush to buy Amlogic equipment now, new models based on rk3566 \ 68 should be released soon (developers already have real samples of such models and they are already working on their support).  :)

Thanks for your reply, indeed I am using an old kernel, the last one I could find tag RK3328-tv box download to MEGA but maybe I could use another version ?? Is there a way to update the kernel directly on the box without having to reflash ?
Indeed my concern of "freezing" has nothing to do with the web server use that I make of my box, that's why I thought that maybe the electric adapter would be too weak with its 2,5A ..? (but I'm not sure)

Maybe it's a RAM problem but we can't really fully test the RAM under armbian if I understood correctly ..
I am attaching a copy of my "armbianmonitor -u" me it does not speak to me too much but maybe that will help.
http://ix.io/2Rda
Thanks again for your attention.

And thank you for the info concerning the new models to come RK3566 and RK3568 it seems to be really promising but it will surely also be much more expensive, novelty oblige .. So far I have only seen 2 SOCs with this rk3566 / 68 (geniatech and rock64) are there other manufacturers?

14 часов назад, MX10.AC2N сказал:

I am using an old kernel, the last one I could find tag RK3328-tv box download to MEGA but maybe I could use another version ??

Firefly Station M1 is rk3328, I tried these images on MX10, all the main hardware is working. You can try installing a new kernel (rockchip64) from the network repositories, but look carefully at the settings, the startup data may change (DTB, mount parameters, etc.).

14 часов назад, MX10.AC2N сказал:

Indeed my concern of "freezing" has nothing to do with the web server use that I make of my box, that's why I thought that maybe the electric adapter would be too weak with its 2,5A ..? (but I'm not sure)

Check the heating again, the TV boxes have a disgusting cooling system, it needs to be reworked, only after that the device starts working under load.

13 часов назад, MX10.AC2N сказал:

So far I have only seen 2 SOCs with this rk3566 / 68 (geniatech and rock64) are there other manufacturers?

Yes, there is, but everything has its time.  :)

7 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Firefly Station M1 is rk3328, I tried these images on MX10, all the main hardware is working. You can try installing a new kernel (rockchip64) from the network repositories, but look carefully at the settings, the startup data may change (DTB, mount parameters, etc.).

Check the heating again, the TV boxes have a disgusting cooling system, it needs to be reworked, only after that the device starts working under load.

Yes, there is, but everything has its time.  :)

Thanks @balbes150 ,

I am going to test your image for M1 station, however I have to stay under Buster to allow me to set up https://github.com/YunoHost

Concerning the cooling of CPU, I add another bigger heatsink to the heatsink, it's a bit of a hack but during my check with htop the CPU never heats too much (~40-45°C)
I don't think the "freezes" is due to the overheating of the proc ..

I will test this Station m1 image on SD-Card and I will see ..
Thanks again..

Hi,

I tried

Armbian_21.05.0-trunk_Station-m1_hirsute_current_5.10.19_xfce_desktop.img

Armbian_21.05.0-trunk_Station-m1_bullseye_current_5.10.19.img

It boot but there are errors and therefore does not work on my MX10.. :(

is there any need to make a modification once we have flashed .img on a sd card ..?

Thanks

11 часов назад, MX10.AC2N сказал:

is there any need to make a modification once we have flashed .img on a sd card ..?

I tested without making any changes. There are a large number of different sets of equipment and components, which are all called MX10. Perhaps you have an option with bad components. I found that on my instance, everything works fine with increased memory and frequency parameters, but this does not mean that it will work for everyone.

Hello, and thank you @balbes150.
Yes indeed there are plenty of different MX10s, mine seems to be from the first generations MXQ-RK3328-D4_A VER: 1.0 DATE: 20170713 registered on the SOC with 32G Emmc and 4G RAM DDR3.
Having said that, I start well with your old Armbian_20.07_Rk3328-tv_buster_current_5.7.8.img it works pretty well but I have this problem from time to time "freezes" and I do not have the necessary knowledge to fix it ..I'm disappointed because without this problem everything seemed to work fine for web-server use ...
I have to choose another SOC for a personal web server type installation, I am thinking about the Odroid HC4 which with its SATA ports (transfer to my SSDs faster than USB3 ..) but will it be sufficiently powerful CPU and GPU for Jellyfin (which I want to install on my server) ..?
I really have trouble choosing from the lot of existing SOCs, all your opinions are welcome, I hope I can find something for less than 80 € but hey ...
Thanks again for everything..

1 час назад, MX10.AC2N сказал:

Having said that, I start well with your old Armbian_20.07_Rk3328-tv_buster_current_5.7.8.img it works pretty well but I have this problem from time to time "freezes" and I do not have the necessary knowledge to fix it ..I'm disappointed because without this problem everything seemed to work fine for web-server use ...

Try using different dtbs from my Libreelec image for rk3328 on the latest version of ArmbianTV (kernel 5.10.19). There are more different dtbs in LE that may work better with your model variant. There's an mx10 version out there, try it out.

And thank you again @balbes150
I am not sure I have mastered the method to do what you explained to me, especially with the last .img Station M1 that I found on your MEGA, once flashed I cannot access it my SD card, I only have an ext4 partition (as I am under win10 to flash with BalenaEtcher). When I flash the old Armbian_20.07_Rk3328-tv_buster_current_5.7.8.img after I can access the boot partition even under Win10 ..?
Can you give me the link to your libreelec builds please.

And thank you again ..

12 минут назад, MX10.AC2N сказал:

I only have an ext4 partition

Yes, I moved all the builds to a single version with the official Armbian, one ext4 partition. To work with it, you either need to have Linux (you can run it without installing it on a PC via LiveCD), or install EXT4-enabled drivers in windows.

14 минут назад, MX10.AC2N сказал:

Can you give me the link to your libreelec builds please.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/8vNYuuxynz1L0w?w=1

On 3/4/2021 at 1:35 PM, balbes150 said:

Yes, I moved all the builds to a single version with the official Armbian, one ext4 partition. To work with it, you either need to have Linux (you can run it without installing it on a PC via LiveCD), or install EXT4-enabled drivers in windows.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/8vNYuuxynz1L0w?w=1

Thank you again and again, I managed to boot my old MX10 with the image for Station M1 with the rk3328-box.dtb file taken in your last libreelec image .. It starts I did an apt update / upgrade and j I started a transfer of large files via sftp to see if my previous problem was present or not, and very good surprise I was able to make my transfers without problem .. I will test the transfers to my SSD (but it should be good. .)
I still have some errors, here is a copy of my armbianmonitor -u
http://ix.io/2ROk

Maybe I need use rk3328-evb.dtb ?

I have this kind of messages but I'm not sure if this is really annoying ..

systemd-sysv-generator[336]: SysV service '/etc/init.d/hostapd' lacks a native systemd unit file. Automatically generating a unit file for compatibility. Please update package to include a native systemd unit file, in order to make it more safe and robust.

[ 6.661760] systemd-sysv-generator[336]: SysV service '/etc/init.d/sysfsutils' lacks a native systemd unit file. Automatically generating a unit file for compatibility. Please update package to include a native systemd unit file, in order to make it more safe and robust.

[ 6.664647] systemd-sysv-generator[336]: SysV service '/etc/init.d/cpufrequtils' lacks a native systemd unit file. Automatically generating a unit file for compatibility. Please update package to include a native systemd unit file, in order to make it more safe and robust.

[ 6.680000] systemd-sysv-generator[336]: SysV service '/etc/init.d/loadcpufreq' lacks a native systemd unit file. Automatically generating a unit file for compatibility. Please update package to include a native systemd unit file, in order to make it more safe and robust.

@balbes150 and i take this opportunity to ask you another question, i would like to test jellyfin but i am not sure which method used to install it with support for hardware decoding? Can you explain to me how you installed jellyfin on your M1 station (dockers, snap, others, ...)
Thank you

Hello, I encounter a problem again but I have trouble understanding I had succeeded in booting the .img bullseye desktop from the station M1 with the rk3328-box.dtb taken in the last libreelec ..

I am trying this time to boot the buster version of station M1 without a desktop by also placing the libreelec rk3328-box.dtb, but this time I have no boot (nothing.. only black screen) .. Is it since the kernel used in the Buster is old I have to find another one .dtb adapted to this kernel ..?

something else since I can start Armbian from my Emmc, isn't there a command line allowing to reboot directly to the SD card ..?

I can boot station M1 on my MX10, first I boot directly after flashed sd-card but I don't have eth0, so I try rk3328-evb.dtb and I can boot with eth0, I start testing (installation of yunohost) Thanks again @balbes150

And shit I still have problems, so I'm looking for the right .dtb for my mx10 for this buster image of the station M1, I'm a bit lost to tell the truth, but I found an old post

If anyone still has .dtb files for the mx10 I'm very interested ...
Otherwise I tested several dtb with different results
Boot OK but no eth with rk3328-roc-pc.dtb and rk3328-rock64.dtb (I noticed that rk3328-rock6.dtb is the only version that uses the led of my box in the correct blue way in operation and red in standby)
Boot OK and eth OK but problems with the usb using the 3 versions rk3328-evb.dtb
No boot with rk3328-box-liantong.dtb, nor with the dtb taken in the latest version of libreelec (rk3328-box.dtb)
What a misery to find this damn .dtb ...

Thank again..

21 minutes ago, MX10.AC2N said:

On my Emmc install with Armbian_20.07_Rk3328-tv_buster_current_5.7.8.img

I use this dtbrk3328-box.dtb but don't work with Armbian_21.05.0-trunk_Station-m1_buster_legacy_4.4.213.img

DTBs are kernel version specific as they are the mapping between the physical hardware and the kernel.  While you might be OK with a minor different in kernel versions, a dtb from a 5.x kernel will not work with a 4.4 kernel (4.4 is about five years older than a current 5.x kernel).

thank @SteeMan 

Indeed I got a little lost in my post .. Thank you for having put it back in the right place in the forum ..
regarding DTBs that's what I thought, and that's why I'm looking for the dtb rk3328-mx10 for kernel 4.4.213 (to use with the buster version of the station m1 image)