Zram not enabled/No Swap

SenorSmartyPants

I'm finally realizing that I have no swap and zram is not enabled. I just checked /etc/default/armbian-zram-config and ENABLED=false

I'm running Armbian buster with Linux 5.4.49-rockchip64 on a RockPi4A. 

Is zram turned off by default?

Did I screw up/miss a step when setting up my system (quite a while back)?

My system boots from an SD card. I have no SSD in the system just SATA and USB HDD.

I've been having system hangs when memory runs out (which has not been frequent but is very annoying)

I run most things in Docker, so if I needed to rebuild from scratch it's not the worst thing in the world. Especially if there is a way to enable hardware video accelleration in a headless setup.

22 minutes ago, SenorSmartyPants said:

Did I screw up/miss a step when setting up my system (quite a while back)?

Probably you missed this 

and this https://www.armbian.com/bugs Logs logs logs. Then someone can have some clue what is the issue.

24 minutes ago, SenorSmartyPants said:

Is zram turned off by default?

Yes, since many years. You must have started with some preview build where things were not finished or break somehow ...

5 minutes ago, Igor said:

Yes, since many years. You must have started with some preview build where things were not finished or break somehow ...

I thought I remembered that zram was supposed to be off. But should htop and free -m report no swap? Just trying to figure out if that's how it should look, or if that's definitely messed up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.