NanoPi R4S 4GB: Network ports have inconsistent behavior on startup with armbian 21.02.1

hive

I'd like some help please.

The ethernet device naming seems inconsistent and sometimes changes following reboots.  

Sometimes one interface comes up as eth0 and sometimes as eth1, and sometimes not at all.  The enp1s0 interface seems to reliably come up, but not with the right config (sometimes it uses the config for enp1s0 and sometimes for eth0).

I am trying to assign status IP addresses (on different networks) to each interface, but because of the unreliable bringup of the network interfaces, I can't get a config that starts up correctly and consistency on reboots or cold boots.

As a test I ran the friendly-core-lite-focal from FriendlyCore and it does not have this issue.

Is there something I need to do on armbian to get the network interface bringup to work?

I have static IP configs in /etc/network/interfaces.d called eth0, eth1 (these are the same, call it network A, because the 2nd network seems to sometimes come up as eth0) , and enp1s0 (configured for my second network, call it network 

I'd greatly appreciate any help in making the network bring up consistent and reliable. 

Hi @mathieuh and @sfx2000

I am running into the same inconsistent bringup of the network interfaces that @mathieuh mentioned in this Armbian Development > Bring Up thread:

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/15932-nanopi-r4s/

Did either of you come up with a resolution and/or have any tips to get consistent initializations of the network interfaces on startup of the R4S?

I'd appreciate any tips or even pointers in the right direction.

Cheers!

For anyone else trying to get the NanoPi R4S working, I built my own Armbian image from trunk (Armbian_21.05.0-trunk_Nanopi-r4s_focal_current_5.10.24.img) and it seems to work correctly.  It does not have the issues that I experienced using the pre-built image.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.