Turn off monitor AFTER system Halted

Dante Alighieri

Armbianmonitor:

So, here is the problem:

I'm running the latest version of Armbian buster on an Orange PI PC+2E and as you know this piece of crap doesn't even support a proper shutdown function: all what is does is "reboot: system halted" and the screen remains on.

Is there a way to turn the screen off (at least) after system halted? maybe a script that runs right before shutdown ? I've reas several discussion but non of the solutions worked 

5 hours ago, Dante Alighieri said:

and as you know this piece of crap doesn't even support a proper shutdown function

It certainly works with their legacy (partially closed) stock SW / kernel interface, but for providing this function on a modern kernel, a complicated technical problem is waiting for you. Things has to be reverse engineered and port toward modern kernel base. Current status / more info here: https://linux-sunxi.org/AR100 and here.

21 hours ago, Igor said:

It certainly works with their legacy (partially closed) stock SW / kernel interface, but for providing this function on a modern kernel, a complicated technical problem is waiting for you. Things has to be reverse engineered and port toward modern kernel base. Current status / more info here: https://linux-sunxi.org/AR100 and here.

I know this.

What I want to achieve is to turn off at least the monitor.

If I from tty type "setterm -blank force" the monitor goes off, but if I type "sudo setterm -blank force && sudo poweroff" the screen turns off and then back on and stays on. Why?

Is there a command that survives the halt without turning the monitor back on again?

None of the solutions posted here https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/48973/execute-a-command-before-shutdown worked.

10 minutes ago, Dante Alighieri said:

So, no solution? Unbelievable!

I told you what a solution is. If you put lets say 10.000 USD on the table for solving this problem, I would immediately decline you with: "have a nice day". But you think this is a tiny problem amateurs just wait to solve for you over the weekend? :D I know it looks like, but its not and this should be clear if you would go and read about the problem. Researching generic stuff on https://unix.stackexchange.com/ without knowing any background is pure waste of time. This problem is below Linux.

14 minutes ago, Dante Alighieri said:

What a junk board!

This is the best Allwinner H3 board ever made. And one of the best at the time it was introduced since it was co-designed by this community. Enjoy proprietary "open source" Linux where this feature works. If you want proper Linux, hire R&D resources to fix this and that for you. We do that all the time, but "you" don't even notice.

Well, if this is the best board, then I will definitely put it in the trash and move again in the RaspberryPi world. It's so much better and functional, and the last one is also much more powerful than any other OrangePi junk.

I bought this because at the time it was slightly better than the Raspberry 2.

For me a board that doesn't support even the most basic stuff (in this case a simple proper shutdown) is only good for the trash.

Just now, Dante Alighieri said:

Well, if this is the best board, then I will definitely put it in the trash and move again in the RaspberryPi world. It's so much better and functional, and the last one is also much more powerful than any other OrangePi junk.

Install stock software and stop complaining here - we didn't took any of your money. I would rather do something else than wasting my time for explaining you this. I don't care if you will use Rpi where you can only run proprietary software anyway, so there will be no big diff.

1 minute ago, Dante Alighieri said:

I bought this because at the time it was slightly better than the Raspberry 2.

Why don't you just get a virtual machine and install Linux there?
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/483-support-of-raspberry-pi/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-121145

6 minutes ago, Dante Alighieri said:

For me a board that doesn't support even the most basic stuff (in this case a simple proper shutdown) is only good for the trash.

All H3 boards running mainline based firmware has this problem and there are million+ of them. Obviously not that critical problem, but you want to have perfect functioning and we would also like to accomplish that ... 

On 3/21/2021 at 12:26 PM, Igor said:

we didn't took any of your money.

That's the last straw.

I don't care if you will use Rpi where you can only run proprietary software anyway, so there will be no big diff.

yeah, software that at least works

Obviously not that critical problem,

we have different opinions about what's critical. A device that remains on when not needed is a waste of energy

Install stock software and stop complaining here

what a nice solution, fits perfectly to the philosophy of this community!

1 hour ago, Dante Alighieri said:

what a nice solution, fits perfectly to the philosophy of this community!

You are welcome to propose a better solution. It is you that wants something.

I've found this old thread https://forum.armbian.com/topic/6757-wake-up-on-gpio-pins/ where you said that "h3fakeoff works out of the box on a legacy kernel, while on mainline you need to secure boot."

What do you mean with secure boot? how can I enable it? If I run from the command line all I get is an error

• Werner locked this topic