Odroid HC4 - linux headers not found Armbian Buster

Dr33p
Go to solution Solved by TRS-80,

Hello all, I'm trying to install a WireGuard docker's container on my Odroid HC4 with installed "Armbian 21.02.3 Buster" with "Linux 5.10.21-meson64", but I have a problem...

When I try to deploy, I get this error in the log:

**** Kernel headers don't seem to be available, can't compile the module. Sleeping now. . . ****,
**** No kernel headers found in the Ubuntu or Debian repos!! Will try the headers from host (if mapped), may or may not work ****

I tried to run:

sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

but the result is:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-5.10.21-meson64
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-5.10.21-meson64'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-5.10.21-meson64'

Looking at /usr/src the folder is empty.

Are the linux headers maybe already present but in another location?

Or is there a way to install them?

Thank you very much to anyone who can help me...I'm very new to Linux and I still have to learn really a lot!

Thank you for the quick replies!

I apologize but I have a limit of 1 post post per day :( and I couldn't answer before...(I don't know if that's normal or if I should do anything to remove it).

Anyway, I wanted to containerize WireGuard just because I have OMV installed and I'm running already different services in docker (nginx, pihole, qbittorrent, ...).

I honestly didn't even think to use it directly from Armbian (I'm so noob).

Yesterday I SSHed in the Odroid and configured WireGuard. Like you said, nothing needed to be installed: wg and wg-quick are already available. I tested it with my phone and the link is working.

Thank you very much!!!

Being a noob is not a problem, mate.  Only nasty / entitled attitudes are.  And expecting people to do things for you.  Neither of which I see here (in fact you seem grateful, which is proper IMO).  As long as you are making some sort of effort to learn, more experienced people will (generally) be happy to help (see also "how to ask questions" link in my sig for more on this).

Some more strategic level things are also not immediately apparent to the newcomer.  But we were all there at one point.  Just keep trying to learn as much as you can.  Lurking the forums (and/or IRC) is really good for that, studying ancient scrolls of wisdom (man pages, documentation, wikis, etc.) you will learn a lot.

WireGuard is pretty low level kernel networking stuff.  I don't know as much as lanefu about containerization, but the sense I get is that WireGuard will need to (or maybe because of permissions it is easier to) configure directly on the host, because of those low level kernel networking permissions.  And I feel like it's harder to containerize that.  I could be wrong of course.

Anyway, good luck with it, and have fun!  :thumbup:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.