"Please be patient and do not interrupt the first reboot" (Odroid C2)

KodiakFi

Folks,

I've flashed a 16GB eMMC 5.0 card with Armbian and it's booted up on a Rev 2 Odroid C2, but it only gets as far as the attached picture shows.  I've left it overnight to see if it gets any better and it's still stalled.  The blue LED ("disk" activity) is a steady 2-beat heartbeat which to me sounds like it's stuck trying to seek whatever happens next. 

I wanted to leave it overnight and also post here before attempting to fix via rebooting, then re-flashing if I have to. 

Anyone see this before?  Sorry this is my first go at Armbian and it's on a brand new device - I come from the mx6 world.

post-1767-0-33971700-1470139473_thumb.jpg

The "problem" is that it does not need to reboot. I think only our message is not at corect place. I think its safe to ignore.

Wrote on mobile phone

Thanks Igor.  I'll try the "hitting enter numerous times" method of continuing the boot process.  Based off what I read here though, it looks like the first order of business here will be preventing any updates?! :/ (Since I'm using eMMC)

http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1585-upgrading-fresh-514-to-516-fails-on-my-odroid-c2/

Yes. This problem is not fixed yet. I need to update repository and try ... if I do manually update from latest development build, it works fine.

Yes. This problem is not fixed yet. I need to update repository and try ... if I do manually update from latest development build, it works fine.

OK no problem.  Am I better off to wait and re-flash, or is that problem the sort that can be solved purely upstream and when you fix, it is also fixed for existing hosts?

Thanks!

@KodiakFi

Just in case you have the special USB/UART plug for Odroid, you could try to log in with serial console OR if you can find the IP of the ethernet card (using nmap) you could try ssh login

I'm going to order a UART serial cable from Ameridroid today.  I'm hoping not to need it, but I'm sure it will be good to have in the event that the 4.6/4.7+ kernels are made available for Amlogic s905 and we can start trying to make those work. :)

Just posting back in this thread that hitting 'enter' once did the trick, it's a full-fledged OS now.  I've temporarily commented out the Armbian deb repo until I see the all-clear on here that updating won't softbrick my C2.

@KodiakFi

"Please be patient and press Enter"

:ph34r::thumbup::P

Now my question is:  How does the original confusing message show on the console anyway?  Is it from the upstream distro, or the Upstart(?) program, or something that the Armbian devs added?  If it's from the Armbian project I would assert that it can be worded in a less confusing way :)

Now my question is:  How does the original confusing message show on the console anyway?  Is it from the upstream distro, or the Upstart(?) program, or something that the Armbian devs added?  If it's from the Armbian project I would assert that it can be worded in a less confusing way :)

Some messages are from Armbian's firstrun script, others are from standard components and services. IMO this part should be reworked a little bit, especially since now we have proper logging in firstrun, and removing messages that go directly to /dev/tty1 may actually improve user experience.