Faster SD card support

Mangix

Anyone know why it's not supported out of the box? The wiki provides a patch but does not mention why it's not upstream or in Armbian.

The bus-width being 4 is also quite suspect. All the other Armada 38x devices have it at 8. Armada 37x ones have it at 4.

bus-width 4 because of microsd card, not eMMC.

As we already put warning note on our wiki, it is not supported out of box, because it could break the system. There are several cards that are not compatible and show error during the test. When those card used as boot drive (for the test, Helios4 boot from USB drive), it won't boot.

Too risky to be included out of box.

IMO, the card and the host controller should try to use lower/normal speed if higher one failed. but we don't see such case during our test.

Weird. Are you saying those SD cards fail to boot with high speed support and succeed at normal?

Weird thing is, I have a lexar SD card here that is not compatible (probably because it's UHS-1). My USB SD card reader can read it.

Hi,

any news about this?

It states in the wiki:

Zitat

From Linux Kernel 4.19 onwards, High Speed and UHS-I modes for Helios4 do NOT work. It requires further work on our side.

Will there still be work on "your" side, given that the model seems to be End-of-Life?

If not, is there any way we could still make it work? I would take the risk, especially since the wiki provides a recovery method....