Is "Asus Tinker Board 2" supported by Armbian?

1 1

Hi there,

as the Chinese market is missing "in stock" OPi4 (not B), RockPi 4B (for more than a month) I am looking for alternative.

Found "Asus Tinker Board 2", same RK3399, 4GB RAM, 4xUSB3 as plus (OPi4 has 2x3.0 + 2x2.0, AFAIK).

https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1005002304966362.html

Is it compatible with Armbian or have I to wait until OPi4 / Rock Pi 4B will be available? (as it is not listed in subforum header).

Laurent.

Armbian is a community driven open source project. Do you like to contribute your code?

6 hours ago, Werner said:

All supported boards are listed here:  https://www.armbian.com/download/

I think @TonyMac32 tinkered with the TB2 a while ago but not sure.

I have a Tinkerboard 2, the only thing causing any issue is the use of a variant of the standard buck converters to power the big cores and the GPU.  I have not gotten this converter to operate properly using the (really ugly and hackish) mainline Linux driver.  Since the existing Mainline Linux driver is pretty much crap, it makes it very difficult to add the variant.

@JMCC a differentiating factor for the Tinker 2 includes it's power input/management, which is extremely robust (it can power all USB ports per specification, unlike any other SBC I am aware of save the Tinker Edge R) and its use of the newer revision RK3399 which supports 2.0 GHz with no overclock and uses less power overall.  The nanoPC T4 would be my only recommendation for an alternate that is currently supported due to its feature set and design.  Ah, it also has a socket for standard PCIe wifi modules, which makes it possible to upgrade.

I will be revisiting the driver code to figure out why I haven't been able to make it happy, the variant is not incredibly different from the normal device.