Rock64 not shutting down with Armbian installed

firewire10000

Hi

I've just downloaded Armbian_21.02.3_Rock64_buster_current_5.10.21.img.xz for my Rock64 and flashed the image to a microSD card using BalenaEtcher. Over the last couple of days I've been writing a menu based script that creates a shutdown script to spin down HDDs during the shutdown phase on Linux based SoC PC. The reason behind the script is to get around an apparent problem whereby HDDs are forcefully being shut off when SoC PCs power off. I have posted this problem myself on the Open Media Vault forums, I have come across it here on the Armbian forums, the ODROID forums and also the Stack Exchange forums.

During my script development and testing I have been using ayufan's Rock64 images found [here](https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build) as they've always worked for me compared to the Armbian ones which sometimes never booted up or froze halfway through booting.

Unfortunately OMV 5 decided to play up overnight and the web-GUI stopped working all together. After several different fixes I decided it was best to wipe the OS and start again. Whilst I had the opportunity, I thought I could try Armbian again. The good news is it actually boots now and I'm able to install OMV 5. Sadly I don't seem to be able to shutdown my Rock64 at all unless I unplug the power barrel connector which of course damages the files and is causing the HDD's to re-spin up.

I first noticed the Rock64 not shutting down when I tried to shutdown from OMV's web-GUI. To rule OMV being the problem I tried some of the shutdown commands from the CLI:

reboot -p
shutdown -P
poweroff -p

As shown in the video below you can see it goes to shutdown but soon after it starts back up.

https://youtu.be/h-fi7iHLMBI

With ayufan's Rock64 image with the same shutdown command it shuts down with literally 5 seconds and then remains off. Does anyone know what's going on here?

@firewire10000

Hi, I can confirm this behaviour, both with the Stable image (kernel 5.10.21) and with the latest Unstable from yesterday (kernel 5.11.15).

Unfortunately I don't know how to fix it.

I tried rebuliding the kernel from the latest "Edge", with CPU Power Management enabled, but nothing changed.

The Rock64 is not supported by Armbian, so if powerdown is important to you, I would advice sticking with Ayufan images.

My Rock64 using Armbian_21.02.3_Rock64_buster_current_5.10.21.img.xz works fine.
It didn't used to. I had the same shutdown, autorestart problem.
Last year, my problem first occurred with the Armbian_20.08.1_Rock64_buster_current_5.8.6.img.xz version when I upgraded to the 5.9.14 kernel.
I used the armbian-config program to back out the kernel to the 5.9.11 version and the poweroff then worked.
One thing that I noticed when I restored the kernel is that my hardware ethernet address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx changed.
I had OMV5 installed and had to run omv-firstaid to fix the ethernet definition.
My Rock64 with Armbian has worked ever since. I don't know why the address changed or why it is now working.

So, I now decided to install the current Armbian_21.02.3_Rock64_buster_current_5.10.21.img.xz on a new SD card.
Everything works just fine. Using 'sudo poweroff', it shuts down immediately without restarting.
I also installed OMV5 and the shutdown from OMV works also.
Could that restoring of the kernel and some process changing the hardware ethernet address have fixed it ?

Maybe my problem is a bit different then.

My Rock64 (with both Armbian Stable and Unstable) does not reboot after "sudo poweroff": it performs the shutdown sequence, but does not really "power off". It is halted, does not respond to login or ping, but the peripherals are still powered and the board still draws the typical idle current (about 220 mA); the heatsink stays warm too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.