2.5 GbE switch recommendations

hartraft

I'm in the process of upgrading my network and with the Helios64 capable of 2.5 GbE, what are some people's switch recommendations? My needs aren't really too high so I think 5 ports should be enough until the rest of the infrastructure catches up in my home network. 

My short-list are:

* QNAP QSW-1105-5T

* TP Link TL-SG105-M2

* TRENDnet TEG-S350

Article from servethehome

There are few more brands offering 5 ports 2.5GbE network switch. Most likely they are all based on the same exact network chip.

2.5GbE doesn't require any special high quality component, so my guess it's the build quality is more or less the same of all those models. So end of the day you are just buying the name among all those 5x port 2.5Gbe models.

You could also consider maybe a switch with more ports even though some of them might only be 1Gbps. But if you don't have the need for more ports, then any model you listed will do the job.

I have the Netgear MS510TXPP which has POE, 4 x 1Gbe, 2 x 2.5Gbe, 2 x 2.5/5Gbe, 1 x 2.5/5/10Gbe, 1 x 10 Gbe SFP

Works well but is noisy for home environment, louder than the Helios64 or rather because of a small fan with a noise that is higher pitched so not great. It did negotiate 2.5Gbe with the Helios though.

7 hours ago, retrack said:

I have the Netgear MS510TXPP which has POE, 4 x 1Gbe, 2 x 2.5Gbe, 2 x 2.5/5Gbe, 1 x 2.5/5/10Gbe, 1 x 10 Gbe SFP

Works well but is noisy for home environment, louder than the Helios64 or rather because of a small fan with a noise that is higher pitched so not great

Thanks for that feedback, noise is something I would want to indeed avoid and I'm not ready to upgrade to 10Gbe (not enough devices). 

That's reassuring that between vendors there isn't anything to watch out for in particular, since these are mainly unmanaged switches there isn't really an interface to compare between them. 

I did see this on reddit though for the QNAP so just monitoring if there's other potential faults. But whatever I can easy source seems in the EU seems fine for my case. Thanks all!