CSC Armbian for RK3318/RK3328 TV box boards

jock

44 minutes ago, Gausus said:

How did you make the WiFi work ?

I replaced the existing /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4334-sdio.rockchip,rk3318-box.txt with this file. Then it worked in nmcli

#nmcli device wifi list
shows available wifi networks
then 
#nmcli --ask device wifi connect vodafone5CC8
and it asked for the password for my wifi named vodafone5CC8, and now it connected, before it didn't.

My overlays are: overlays=rk3318-box-cpu-hs rk3318-box-emmc-ddr rk3318-box-led-conf1 rk3318-box-wlan-ap6334

2 hours ago, jock said:

@Gausus You have to copy /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4334-sdio.rockchip,rk3318-box.txt over /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4334-sdio.txt and reboot

1 hour ago, curse said:

I replaced the existing /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4334-sdio.rockchip,rk3318-box.txt with this file. Then it worked in nmcli

#nmcli device wifi list
shows available wifi networks
then 
#nmcli --ask device wifi connect vodafone5CC8
and it asked for the password for my wifi named vodafone5CC8, and now it connected, before it didn't.

My overlays are: overlays=rk3318-box-cpu-hs rk3318-box-emmc-ddr rk3318-box-led-conf1 rk3318-box-wlan-ap6334

Thanks for the quick reply.

Did not work , used nmcli.

Even tried to disable password on WiFi.

Error: Connection activation failed: (11) 802.1X supplicant took too long to authenticate.

1. Copied and renamed brcmfmac4334-sdio.rockchip,rk3318-box.txt to brcmfmac4334-sdio.txt

Rebooted:  no wifi

2. Replaced the existing text in /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4334-sdio.rockchip,rk3318-box.txt and brcmfmac4334-sdio.txt with this file

Rebooted:  no wifi

Think I have a different WiFi chip.

Any idea what chip SP2743C is ?

Curse have you opened your box and seen what name is on your wifi chip ?

10 minutes ago, Gausus said:

Curse have you opened your box and seen what name is on your wifi chip ?

No, I'm quite bad at screwing and such because of an injury. Sorry. Oh... I have the H96Max+ RK3328 4GB/64GB Voice Remote version (not that I have tried using voice commands on it). Who knows, the Voice Remote version and the normal remote version might differ.

Jock I have a problem, when I pass the command rk3318-config it opens normal I select all of the chip on my tvbox which is a MX10 RK3328 4GB-RAM/32GB-ROM
Then I reboot, the tvbox doesn't turn on anymore what do I do? already tested all the config settings..

8 hours ago, RiickBrz said:

Jock I have a problem, when I pass the command rk3318-config it opens normal I select all of the chip on my tvbox which is a MX10 RK3328 4GB-RAM/32GB-ROM
Then I reboot, the tvbox doesn't turn on anymore what do I do? already tested all the config settings..

The most offending things are:

1. emmc settings

2. cpu frequency

eMMC settings are the most dangerous. Leave all the options unchecked in the eMMC panel.

CPU frequency safe setting is 1.1Ghz (which is the default). Not all chips can reach 1.3Ghz.

@Gausus

Your chip is definitely an AP6334/BCM4334, it declares that way to the system.

Printings on the chip cages are fantasious chinese characters which does not relate to anything known.

Can't say anything more about, the nvram.txt you took from github is the one which I know is working pretty fine on my box, which is an Ap6334 too, but it can be your board configuration is different and not handled well with that nvram, but fixing this is beyond my possibility.

Good Morning. Just a quick question.

Is it possible that the temperature is shown wrong at login? 

____  _  ____________ _  ___    ____            
|  _ \| |/ /___ /___ // |( _ )  | __ )  _____  __
| |_) | ' /  |_ \ |_ \| |/ _ \  |  _ \ / _ \ \/ /
|  _ <| . \ ___) |__) | | (_) | | |_) | (_) >  < 
|_| \_\_|\_\____/____/|_|\___/  |____/ \___/_/\_\

Welcome to Armbian 21.11.0-trunk Bullseye with Linux 5.10.68-rockchip64

No end-user support: built from trunk

System load:   3%           	Up time:       2 days 21:03	
Memory usage:  4% of 3.88G  	IP:	       192.168.0.35
CPU temp:      68°C           	Usage of /:    8% of 57G    	

It seems to idle at 68 C and when doing stuff goes to 90+. At the same time, "top" sees the CPU going at 270%. While the box feels warm, it doesn't feel hot, which I assume it would be, if it were 90+C a centimeter from my finger.

@curse

Yes, it is possible. Temperatures are quite varying with these chips and reportings are not very reliable IMHO. The problem is very similar with rk322x too.

Cpu usage in top is the sum of all cores/processors, so it can go beyond 100% if your process is doing multithreaded work.

Hi all,
And first THANKS @jock for all that ..
I have an MX10 TvBox first generations MXQ-RK3328-D4_A VER: 1.0 DATE: 20170713 registered on the SOC with 32G Emmc and 4G RAM DDR3

I have been running Armbian on it for a while now first from an RK3328-TVBOX image from @balbes, then I booted from an M1 station image, currently I have station-M1 running on my Emmc, and here I come across this thread ..
So I test from an SD card the image Armbian_21.11.0-trunk_Rk3318-box_bullseye_current_5.10.68_minimal.img

It starts but I don't have an HDMI signal, I was able to connect in SSH and do the update, the upgrade, install armbian-config, install full firmware, install desktop .. I use rk3328-evb.dtb

Copy the diagnostic : http://ix.io/3Bsu

I will continue with the installation and above all try to find the signal on my HDMI output.
Thanks again...

@MX10.AC2N Hello!

Question: does HDMI work on the other armbian images you tried?

Second question: what do you mean with "I use rk3328-evb.dtb"? On other armbian images? Because the images I provide have their own device tree that should not be changed, but can instead be configured with overlays via rk3318-config.

The HDMI problem is often due to uncommon resolution or uncommon timings that the kernel does not support. In other situations it is just a bad cable.

If you have the chance to try other cables or other monitors/TV, it may give a hint of source of issues.

edit:

you may try to install the read-edid package and then run:

sudo get-edid 4 | parse-edid

and paste here the results.

Also, if your box is running X.org, you may try xrandr to try and switch resolution via ssh (your user need to have logged in physically though...)

@jock

Hi and thank you for your reply..
I have the hdmi signal with the other armbian images, here is a copy of the diagnostic when I am under the station-M1 image working from the Emmc. http://ix.io/3BuJ

Following the last armbian 21.8.3 update I only have one screen resolution possible (1024x743 whereas before I had 1080p) but I still have a signal on hdmi, is this problem of screen resolution that made me discover this thread ...

So with your image on SD card, I was able to start without any modification but the processor only had 1000MHz as maximum value, so I changed rk3318-box.dtb by rk3328-evb.dtb in the armbianenv.txt file in /boot .. I found the correct max value for the processor .. ;-) But it might not be the right way to go .. I didn't know about rk3318-config ..

11 hours ago, jock said:
sudo get-edid 4 | parse-edid

get-edid, from read-edid 3.0.2. Licensed under the GPL.
Current version by Matthew Kern <pyrophobicman@gmail.com>
Previous work by John Fremlin <vii@users.sourceforge.net>
and others (See AUTHORS).

Usage:
 -b BUS, --bus BUS      Only scan the i2c bus BUS.
 -h, --help             Display this help
 -q, --quiet            Do not output anything over stderr (messages, essentially)

For help, go to <http://polypux.org/projects/read-edid/> or
email <pyrophobicman@gmail.com>.
Partial Read... Try again

When I try the same command while being started on my emmc I have the exact same result maybe this command was not possible via an ssh connection ..?

3 hours ago, MX10.AC2N said:

So with your image on SD card, I was able to start without any modification but the processor only had 1000MHz as maximum value, so I changed rk3318-box.dtb by rk3328-evb.dtb in the armbianenv.txt file in /boot .. I found the correct max value for the processor .. ;-) But it might not be the right way to go .. I didn't know about rk3318-config ..

Changing the dtb: very bad choice. Restore the right one and try and see if you have HDMI signal.

rk3318-config is clearly described in the first page instructions.

When I try the same command while being started on my emmc I have the exact same result maybe this command was not possible via an ssh connection ..?

No, it has to work within ssh too.

Finally I started again from zero, reflash on the SD card, and start without any modification .. I found the hdmi signal, but I have the processor with 1000MHz for maximum value ..
update & upgrade ok, install desktop ok but graphical restart which bug with lightdm which I replaced by lxdm and there everything is fine ..
I will continue my tests but it seems to have started well this time.

Thank again.

Finally I started again from zero, reflash on the SD card, and start without any modification .. I found the hdmi signal, but I have the processor with 1000MHz for maximum value ..
update & upgrade ok, install desktop ok but graphical restart which bug with lightdm which I replaced by lxdm and there everything is fine ..
I will continue my tests but it seems to have started well this time.

Thank again.

Read the instructions!! rk3318-config to configure it for 1.3 ghz !!

3 hours ago, jock said:

Read the instructions!! rk3318-config to configure it for 1.3 ghz !!

OK no worries I have already read the 15 pages of this thread ...
Now the problem is that when I run rk3318-config at the end it requires a reboot and there starts the bug, my box bug during the boot process .. only solution I found, delete all the overlays line which a was added in the armbianEnv.txt (luckily I can connect my SD card to my computer) ..

1 hour ago, MX10.AC2N said:

OK no worries I have already read the 15 pages of this thread ...
Now the problem is that when I run rk3318-config at the end it requires a reboot and there starts the bug, my box bug during the boot process .. only solution I found, delete all the overlays line which a was added in the armbianEnv.txt (luckily I can connect my SD card to my computer) ..

The cpu-hs overlay is responsible for the 1.3ghz clock. If it is causing you issues, then the cpu is not really happy running with that frequency :unsure:

12 hours ago, jock said:

The cpu-hs overlay is responsible for the 1.3ghz clock. If it is causing you issues, then the cpu is not really happy running with that frequency :unsure:

It's strange I never had any problem using the 1.3GHz processor with the other armbian images. The Station-M1 system installed on Emmc works at 1.3GHz without any particular problem.
When I had put rk3328-evb.dtb in armbianEnv.txt I had found the max value at 1.3 GHz and the system started up without worries (but no hdmi signal).
In any case for the moment the system is stable, I left it running all night without any problems (but at 1GHz) .. I will continue ..

Something a little off topic:
Any idea why lightdm crashes startup when lxdm is running fine ..?

Thank you again for the job, great ..!

14 minutes ago, MX10.AC2N said:

It's strange I never had any problem using the 1.3GHz processor with the other armbian images. The Station-M1 system installed on Emmc works at 1.3GHz without any particular problem.
When I had put rk3328-evb.dtb in armbianEnv.txt I had found the max value at 1.3 GHz and the system started up without worries (but no hdmi signal).
In any case for the moment the system is stable, I left it running all night without any problems (but at 1GHz) .. I will continue ..

Something a little off topic:
Any idea why lightdm crashes startup when lxdm is running fine ..?

Thank you again for the job, great ..!

Need to check out the station m1 dtb though. Maybe your board has a dedicated PMIC to control the CPU voltage and not the common cheap PWM voltage regulation.

It would be the first case for rk3318, but it could definitely could be.

Or the other dtbs are just giving more voltage to the CPU, that could be also...

I'm not having problems with lightdm right now; in the recent past lightdm-gtk-greeter caused some issues with hangs and crashes, but on arm64 it should be fine right now. Try to upgrade the package with apt (take care not to upgrade the kernel and dtbs though!)

2 minutes ago, MX10.AC2N said:

Here is the .dtb file that I use with the Station-M1 image, I just modify rk3328-box.dtb  a little to have a correct use of the leds on my MX10 box (a red led "off" and a led blue "on")

rk3328-mx10.dtb 38.05 kB · 0 downloads rk3328-mx10.dts 47.05 kB · 0 downloads

You should also provide some detailed photos of the board, in particular report if you see a small chip with the rk805 printing on it.

Also the device tree of the original firmware (or the original firmware itself) would be useful.

@MX10.AC2N Okay, so that's the reason your board works fine with Station M1 device tree.

Your board seems to be better constructed than regular rk3318 boards, maybe is it rk3328? (rk3318-config will tell you)

Another non-common thing is the GL850G USB2 hub chip, but that should not be a problem.

I need a bit of time to study and prepare an appropriate overlay specific for your board, so you have to be patient...