CSC Armbian for RK3318/RK3328 TV box boards

jock

Slightly off-topic...
I am running armbian from external SSD.
I have only u-boot flashed in the internal eMMC.
Now I would like to try the new Android version - just to see what is this.. :-)

Is possible to flash the new Android to the SD card and run it from here?
I wouldn't to harm flashed U-boot in eMMC...

@jockMy following comment in no way is me blaming you or the Armbian project.

But I installed the wrong image with the thought that "Technically, rockchip devices cannot be bricked" as you commented in post Posted April 16. Maybe you can reword this for others if they try too.

And again I DO NOT put any blame on you. You are doing amazing work here! You did start the post as you should with

"DISCLAIMER (PLEASE READ): everything you can find in this thread (binaries, texts, code snippets, etc...) are provided AS-IS and are not part of official Armbian project. For this reason not people from Armbian project nor myself are responsible for misuse or loss of functionality of hardware."

Mark

@markst I understand there is no blame, but the phrase"Technically, rockchip devices cannot be bricked" is followed by a detailed explanation about why this is true.

The whole paragraph is important to read, not just the first few words, in particular you can note:

In most of the rk3318/28 boards, shorting the clock pin is difficult or impossible because eMMC are BGA chips with no exposed pins.

Pay double attention when burning something on the internal flash memory and always test first the image booting from the sdcard to be sure it works before burning anything in internal flash.

Don't know, but it looks to me there are enough warnings :mellow:

@markst

Technically, rockchip devices cannot be bricked...

This sentence is absolutely realistic and I can give to you for sure that ALWAYS there is a way to put those boards in mask rom. Now it cames that I havent' phisically your exact board in my hands otherwise I sure would help you and other friends to discover the emmc pin

That said anyway is a bit like put DIESEL  in a 96 octane engine. The engine is still there but you need open it and clear filtes injectors and so on.

I am sorry it happened to you but just "wait " .......some others on forum will discover the pads of emc clock :beer:

Another day, another Board.  I now have a few of these boards. x88 pro m10 4GB RAM 64GB ROM

1 . Installed to eMMc --- Armbian 21.11 - Debian Bullseye minimal - mainline kernel 5.15.2 Build date: 2021-11-12

WORKED NO PROBLEM

2. Try to get WIFI working. 

NOT WORKING

running  rk3318-config but it indicates  "No WIFI chip has been detected". I go through the menus and try each option rk3318-box-led-conf1  -  rk3318-box-led-conf2  -  rk3318-box-led-conf3 and generic then reboot each time. No luck No WIFI and No leds.

In file /boot/armbianEnv.txt there is overlays=rk3318-box-wlan-ext

Any ideas?

20211204_100141-min.thumb.jpg.8530b96fc17dffe45d229d37c101658c.jpg20211204_100126-min.thumb.jpg.564bb6ee13d60c7ede968f189eb37a41.jpg20211204_135011-min.thumb.jpg.5bc8590e8ff6cf49e5faf60dfda4cdb1.jpg

10 minutes ago, markst said:

Another day, another Board.  I now have a few of these boards. x88 pro m10 4GB RAM 64GB ROM

1 . Installed to eMMc --- Armbian 21.11 - Debian Bullseye minimal - mainline kernel 5.15.2 Build date: 2021-11-12

WORKED NO PROBLEM

NOT WORKING

running  rk3318-config but it indicates  "No WIFI chip has been detected". I go through the menus and try each option rk3318-box-led-conf1  -  rk3318-box-led-conf2  -  rk3318-box-led-conf3 and generic then reboot each time. No luck No WIFI and No leds.

Any ideas?

It seems to be an SP6330 wifi chip, if you look at the chip with the most dust on it.

how do i get this to boot off a usb external hdd or thumbdrive ? do i just flash it to the usb hdd and plug it into the usb 2.0 port ? or the usb 3.0 Port?
my emmc is cooked due to an error i made with the emmc clock ground button mod i did (i learned from that mistake and will improve the basic part of it.)

but now the thing won't boot without a bootable sd card either in multitool

(no eMMC = No Good...)

but in armbian raw flashed to sd card, it boots up and begins the initial setup like username/etc...

i tried before 5.15.2 to boot exclusively from a usb hdd and i had no luck even when the eMMC is empty or inaccessible

(yet again boiling down to clock/gnd pcb track damage

the pad separated from the pcb due to too much heat caused from a crappy soldering iron and a loose wire pulled the track and dot and now the eMMC is kaput unless there is a way to get it working again...Grrr...!)

i've tried to get it to boot from the 2.0 port and nothing...

i tried the 3.0 port and still nothing with the card or the hdd...

i'm at a loss here.

Hi @jock

Thank you again for everything you do and even more for your responsiveness.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:53 PM, jock said:

Moreover there is the specification of this other ir led, which I don't know if it is present on your board or it isn't

I was wondering if this could not be the infra-red receive led on the remote ?

On 11/30/2021 at 10:53 PM, jock said:

it is expected you change them for your needs using /sys/class/leds filesystem objects at startup.

This is where I got it wrong, the user has to make these changes in a folder that does not exist with the rk3318 image you built ??
Do I need to create this folder /sys/class/leds and paste the triggers into it ?

Does the value set in the linux trigger, default-trigger predominate over the others ? Cannot change this trigger value even if I am logged in as root.

On 11/29/2021 at 12:40 PM, MX10.AC2N said:
 /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/gpio-leds/ir/linux,default-trigger
0       /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/gpio-leds/working/linux,default-trigger
0       /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/gpio-leds/net/linux,default-trigger

And finally, I confirm the same state of the leds when I use the station m1 image, I can set the trigger for led2 (my red led) but led1 (my blue led) remains on permanently despite the changes in the trigger, I noticed that led1 is set to "default-on" in linux, default-trigger ..

I hope your pull request will be accepted.

Have a nice Sunday everyone.

15 hours ago, markst said:

WORKED NO PROBLEM

NOT WORKING

Any ideas?

20211204_100141-min.thumb.jpg.8530b96fc17dffe45d229d37c101658c.jpg20211204_100126-min.thumb.jpg.564bb6ee13d60c7ede968f189eb37a41.jpg20211204_135011-min.thumb.jpg.5bc8590e8ff6cf49e5faf60dfda4cdb1.jpg

@markst I have the same wifi chip on my 2 boards and here is part of my armbianEnv.txt if it can help:

overlay_prefix=rockchip
fdtfile=rockchip/rk3318-box.dtb
[...]
overlays=rk3318-box-wlan-ext rk3318-box-led-conf2 rk3318-box-wlan-ap6330

15 hours ago, markst said:

Any ideas?

No logs = no ideas. armbian-monitor -u and post here the link

Also you must stay stick to led-conf2, the one for your very specific board.

Other led-conf are not for your board and may prevent the system from boot.

SP6330 is a sort-of clone of AP6330, at least it should be. It happened in the past that the cover plate told something and the chip inside was another. Happens with chinese crap.

7 hours ago, RetroFan90 said:

how do i get this to boot off a usb external hdd or thumbdrive ? do i just flash it to the usb hdd and plug it into the usb 2.0 port ? or the usb 3.0 Port?
my emmc is cooked due to an error i made with the emmc clock ground button mod i did (i learned from that mistake and will improve the basic part of it.)

but now the thing won't boot without a bootable sd card either in multitool

(no eMMC = No Good...)

but in armbian raw flashed to sd card, it boots up and begins the initial setup like username/etc...

i tried before 5.15.2 to boot exclusively from a usb hdd and i had no luck even when the eMMC is empty or inaccessible

(yet again boiling down to clock/gnd pcb track damage

the pad separated from the pcb due to too much heat caused from a crappy soldering iron and a loose wire pulled the track and dot and now the eMMC is kaput unless there is a way to get it working again...Grrr...!)

i've tried to get it to boot from the 2.0 port and nothing...

i tried the 3.0 port and still nothing with the card or the hdd...

i'm at a loss here.

USB boot is a peculiarity of the u-boot shipped with armbian.

Normally you need to install armbian on eMMC and you get both SD and USB boot.

Since your eMMC in not functional, the only way to do USB boot on your board is to keep an sdcard with u-boot only in the slot (ie: delete the armbian partition from sdcard) and the hdd in the USB 2.0 plug.

USB 3.0 is not supported yet in u-boot.

1 hour ago, MX10.AC2N said:

I was wondering if this could not be the infra-red receive led on the remote ?

No, it is led: Light Emitting Diode. The infrared receiver is not emitting anything, hence it is not a led.

Probably there are other variants of your board which have a led that must be react on remote controller activity.

Your board hasn't this led, but the chinese guy that wrote the dtb thought that the ir node may be left there.

1 hour ago, MX10.AC2N said:

This is where I got it wrong, the user has to make these changes in a folder that does not exist with the rk3318 image you built ??
Do I need to create this folder /sys/class/leds and paste the triggers into it ?

Does the value set in the linux trigger, default-trigger predominate over the others ? Cannot change this trigger value even if I am logged in as root.

That's not possible: /sys is a virtual filesystem exported by kernel itself.

Files in that directory does not really exist on partition but are generated by kernel.

This is what I get on my board (with a keyboard attached):

root@rk3318-box:~# cd /sys/class/leds/
root@rk3318-box:/sys/class/leds# ls
input0::capslock  input0::numlock  input0::scrolllock  working

And this is the content of working directory:

root@rk3318-box:/sys/class/leds# cd working
root@rk3318-box:/sys/class/leds/working# ls
brightness  device  max_brightness  power  subsystem  trigger  uevent
root@rk3318-box:/sys/class/leds/working# cat trigger 
none usb-gadget usb-host kbd-scrolllock kbd-numlock kbd-capslock kbd-kanalock kbd-shiftlock kbd-altgrlock kbd-ctrllock kbd-altlock kbd-shiftllock kbd-shiftrlock kbd-ctrlllock kbd-ctrlrlock usbport disk-activity disk-read disk-write ide-disk mtd nand-disk heartbeat cpu cpu0 cpu1 cpu2 cpu3 [mmc2] mmc1 activity default-on panic mmc0 mmc3 rfkill-any rfkill-none rc-feedback bluetooth-power hci0-power rfkill0 rfkill1 stmmac-1:00:link stmmac-1:00:100Mbps stmmac-1:00:10Mbps

Thank @jock

for this information I'm starting to see more clearly.
Too bad that I cannot change the state of the "working" led (my blue led) but it's not a drama, as long as I can put "net" (my red led) in "heartbeat" or "activity "I have visual feedback on the front of my MX10 TVbox via my red led for system activity. :thumbup:

Now after having tested a lot of things I have my 64G sd card almost full, I will soon start from scratch in order to keep only what can be really useful. So I was wondering if there was a way (a bit like on a windows) to reset the system (that would be good)?

And again a huge thank you for everything you do ..

10 hours ago, RetroFan90 said:

is it possible to boot android from usb?

when i flashed the image with sdboot tool 1.69 it boots up partially and fails in short of no eMMC...

if i flash android to my 16gb usb thumbdrive and leave the micro sd card inserted so it can boot from usb....

android 9 is the first one i wanna try

You should ask Android people then.

AFAIK Android images have some hardwired settings that make it work only on internal eMMC.

These settings should be changed to make it work, but don't ask me: never dig into.

@lucky62 : I have a board with a 3318 CPU and a 7-segment display, driven by a 6334 controller. I would like to ask if the openvfd driver you created will be good for this too? If so, am I still asking that your openvfd driver is already included in the jock's bullseye minimal image? I want to set up and control this display.

Sucessfully booted armbian from sdcard in my rk3318 tv box 

My tv box

thanks to Jock.

when i tried to use chromium browser (installed from apt ) and accessed websites, it was slow like working in pentium computer

How  to use hardware acceleration to speed up. or any specific browser. Tried firefox too and very slow.

In general tv box is slow.

I plan to use for youtube and playing videos from pendrive

How can I force the resolution on these boards? My board is RK3318 (x88 pro 10)

The board is not automatically getting the maximum resolution the HDMI monitor can show. Is Armbian preventing this somewhere?

Can I set this somewhere I am no expert. Any help would b appreciated. u-boot? armbianEnv.txt?

Hi,

I took backup of the tv box using multitool.

The tv box has 64 gb rom.  The resultant gz file is of 4gb.

When i tried to gzip -d it gives unexpected end of file.

<edited>

when i use zcat to dump to a file it gets uncompressed uptp 11GB there after unexpected end of file

</edited>

I used another sdcard to backup and there also the compressed file is 4gb and when uncompress it gives same error.

Does the fat partition of sdcard limits the file size to 4gb?!

Any idea how to uncompress it.

will it be safe to restore in  tvbox using this backup in multitool.

Edited by vkkindia
when i use zcat to dump to a file it gets uncompressed uptp 11GB there after unexpected end of file

On 12/11/2021 at 7:34 PM, paradigman said:

@lucky62 : I have a board with a 3318 CPU and a 7-segment display, driven by a 6334 controller. I would like to ask if the openvfd driver you created will be good for this too? If so, am I still asking that your openvfd driver is already included in the jock's bullseye minimal image? I want to set up and control this display.

@paradigman, 6334 looks like a WIFI chip, not as a display controller.. so I don't know..
openvfd driver was not created by me. I just compiled it from source. Info about supported controllers can be found here.

With help form everyone here I now have everything working with the x88 pro 10.

Using the image Armbian 21.11 - Debian Bullseye desktop [xfce] - mainline kernel 5.15.2

WIFI works

Display resolution works

I could not get rockchip drivers to work with startx/Xsession and Armbian 21.11 - Debian Bullseye minimal - mainline kernel 5.15.2

WIFI NO

display resolution NO

One question?

I cannot figure out how to autologin to the Desktop GUI. The system boots and waits at the login screen with the username. 

Where is the autologin setting?? 

EDIT

Found the answer to my own question

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf 

uncomment

autologin-user=username  #replace with your username
autologin-user-timeout=0

@jock Sorry for getting back to the thread with a lot of delay, my laptop broke down... So it should be possible to use your tree as a basis to patch the current mainline and compile it (provided that the patches still apply cleanly?) I'll look into the armbian documentation to see if this can be done in an automatized way when a new stable release for the kernel series comes out... Just in case there is a quick recipe, please let me have a pointer to it ;-)

On 12/16/2021 at 6:54 PM, callegar said:

@jock Sorry for getting back to the thread with a lot of delay, my laptop broke down... So it should be possible to use your tree as a basis to patch the current mainline and compile it (provided that the patches still apply cleanly?) I'll look into the armbian documentation to see if this can be done in an automatized way when a new stable release for the kernel series comes out... Just in case there is a quick recipe, please let me have a pointer to it ;-)

My branch is already kept aligned with mainline armbian often. It should be already possible to merge with mainline with no hassle at all.

It requires some minor tidy up though, since had to make some "shortcuts" to let rk3318 be seen as rk3328 in armbian scripts, and that needs to be fixed properly first before trying to merge: I'm sure that the trick works for rk3318, but I'm not sure that the trick does not break some other board.

On 12/14/2021 at 12:41 PM, vkkindia said:

Does the fat partition of sdcard limits the file size to 4gb?!

Any idea how to uncompress it.

will it be safe to restore in  tvbox using this backup in multitool.

Yes, the FAT partition is limiting the size of the backup to 4gb. Probably your box has some content in it that is not easily compressible and this results in a very large backup.

The problem is not of easy solution: except splitting the gzipped file every 4gb (which I don't know how it could be done automatically via gzip command), the other proper solution would be another partition type.

Other options are NTFS, ext4 or exFAT.

NTFS is cumbersome on some linux systems, especially with some very old distros which may not have the write capability.

ext4 is not available on windows

exFAT cuts away Windows XP, but there should be a separate MS driver for it. This could be the way to go, but in this case the same drill as ntfs applies, with the malus that exfat is much more recent, there are less tools and older distributions may not work as well.

On 12/14/2021 at 10:06 PM, lucky62 said:

@paradigman, 6334 looks like a WIFI chip, not as a display controller.. so I don't know..
openvfd driver was not created by me. I just compiled it from source. Info about supported controllers can be found here.

You're right, the driver IC isn't that, it's the FD6551. I don't see this type in the linked repo among the supported ICs. Is it a hopeless thing or should I try the source of the FD650?

21 minutes ago, paradigman said:

You're right, the driver IC isn't that, it's the FD6551. I don't see this type in the linked repo among the supported ICs. Is it a hopeless thing or should I try the source of the FD650?

It is supported by openvfd driver