CSC Armbian for RK3318/RK3328 TV box boards

jock

I am having a bit of trouble with the backup on the multitool software. Can anyone help me?

Basically so I have a backup saved on my computer and when I use rufus to put the multitool on an sd card it makes the size of the card 2gb even though its a 8gb one. Then when I try to put the backup in the backup folder I cant because the backup file is too big.

I will attach some images to further show my issue:

https://ibb.co/NTPRxYp

https://ibb.co/m9G29kY

https://ibb.co/cYMDKDX

https://ibb.co/kDm7RXb

10 hours ago, Jack853 said:

I am having a bit of trouble with the backup on the multitool software. Can anyone help me?

Basically so I have a backup saved on my computer and when I use rufus to put the multitool on an sd card it makes the size of the card 2gb even though its a 8gb one. Then when I try to put the backup in the backup folder I cant because the backup file is too big.

I will attach some images to further show my issue:

https://ibb.co/NTPRxYp

https://ibb.co/m9G29kY

https://ibb.co/cYMDKDX

https://ibb.co/kDm7RXb

When i had the same problem i just expanded the partition with gparted.

@Jack853 @MR01

Multitool will expand the FAT partition automatically to the size of the medium once it has been run for the first time on the box.

Also you can put compressed images on sdcard and multitool will expand them on the fly during restore/burn process.

Note also that, due to FAT partition limitations, a file cannot be larger than 4GB

Hi everybody and @jock

I flashed the jammy release xfce on SD-card and boot on my old MX10-TvBox. (RK3328)

I checked dmesg and there is some lines in red

[    4.332442] gpio-syscon ff100000.syscon:gpio: can't read the data register offset!
[    5.127442] rk_gmac-dwmac ff550000.ethernet: cannot get clock clk_mac_refout
[    5.128139] rk_gmac-dwmac ff550000.ethernet: cannot get clock clk_mac_speed
[   53.545863] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.4.auto: Only one simultaneous stream supported!
[   53.545903] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.4.auto: ASoC: error at snd_soc_dai_startup on i2s-hifi: -22
[   53.545932]  ff000000.i2s-i2s-hifi: soc_pcm_open() failed (-22)
[   68.738601] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.4.auto: Only one simultaneous stream supported!
[   68.738640] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.4.auto: ASoC: error at snd_soc_dai_startup on i2s-hifi: -22
[   68.738668]  ff000000.i2s-i2s-hifi: soc_pcm_open() failed (-22)

Here is the whole output from 'armbianmonitor -U' ('armbianmonitor -u' can't directly upload..)

https://paste.yunohost.org/oruxuwocub.vbs

I'm not sure this needs to be corrected, maybe it's just this old Chinese box with more or less well-integrated hardware.
Finally I share anyway, thank you again for everything @jock

On 5/19/2022 at 6:54 PM, paradigman said:

I had a problem with this wireless chip. Is this familiar to anyone? In one of the system messages I saw this as BCM 4334B1 / 6334. It can scan networks with the minimal image but cannot connect. Is there an overlay?

some added info, detail from the armbian monitor output:

527  [    9.816528] brcmfmac: F1 signature read @0x18000000=0x16034334
   529  [    9.837294] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac4334-sdio for chip BCM4334/3
   530  [    9.839398] brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac4334-sdio.rockchip,rk3318-box.bin failed with error -2
   531  [    9.843056] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
   533  [   10.097755] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac4334-sdio for chip BCM4334/3
   534  [   10.098076] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_process_clm_blob: no clm_blob available (err=-2), device may have limited channels available
   535  [   10.099292] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware: BCM4334/3 wl0: Jul 24 2019 12:58:36 version 6.10.191 (TOB) (r) FWID 01-b049404e
  1437  [    9.119553] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM4334B0 'brcm/BCM4334B0.hcd' Patch
  1444  [    9.553660] brcmfmac: F1 signature read @0x18000000=0x16034334
  1445  [    9.573816] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac4334-sdio for chip BCM4334/3
  1446  [    9.574117] brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac4334-sdio.rockchip,rk3318-box.bin failed with error -2
  1447  [    9.578548] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
  1449  [    9.787851] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac4334-sdio for chip BCM4334/3
  1450  [    9.788132] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_process_clm_blob: no clm_blob available (err=-2), device may have limited channels available
  1451  [    9.788911] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware: BCM4334/3 wl0: Jul 24 2019 12:58:36 version 6.10.191 (TOB) (r) FWID 01-b049404e

1455  [    9.881905] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM4334B1 37.4 MHz ExtLNA Murata VM

3162  [   10.714799] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM4334B1 37.4 MHz ExtLNA Murata VM
  4014  [   10.135514] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM4334B1 37.4 MHz ExtLNA Murata VM
  6565  [    9.597587] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM4334B1 37.4 MHz ExtLNA Murata VM

7212  [    8.971401] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac4334-sdio for chip BCM4334/3
  7215  [    9.194035] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac4334-sdio for chip BCM4334/3
  7217  [    9.195003] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware: BCM4334/3 wl0: Jul 24 2019 12:58:36 version 6.10.191 (TOB) (r) FWID 01-b049404e
  7222  [    9.597587] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM4334B1 37.4 MHz ExtLNA Murata VM
  7223  [    9.597636] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM4334B0 (002.001.013) build 1852

what can i do to be able to connect to Wi-Fi?

Hi @jock

Congratulations for your colossal work!. It's incredible to have linux on this tv boxes.

I have successfully installed your desktop image on my H96 Max Plus with RK3328. And it's working fine!

I've read in your first post about improve multimedia performance (videos, youtube, browser, desktop performance). With lima the window performance is slow. Do you have the same image for tv boxes with the legacy kernel and other stuff?

I think it could be interesting to test and check the differences.

Note: i've seen that when set on hold the kernel and dtb, it shows that are set on hold "edge" and "legacy". ones Maybe the native kernel and dtb are included on your image but disabled?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, robertoenr said:

Congratulations for your colossal work!. It's incredible to have linux on this tv boxes.

I have successfully installed your desktop image on my H96 Max Plus with RK3328. And it's working fine!

Hello, glad to hear it works for you!

Do you have the same image for tv boxes with the legacy kernel and other stuff?

Nope, legacy kernel is no more interesting nowadays, most of the hardware is already well supported by mainline kernel.

I think it could be interesting to test and check the differences.

You clone the project from git repository and compile by yourself, but the legacy kernel flavour had not received many updates lately.

Note: i've seen that when set on hold the kernel and dtb, it shows that are set on hold "edge" and "legacy". ones Maybe the native kernel and dtb are included on your image but disabled?

No, there are rockchip64 edge and legacy kernel available in the armbian repositories too, they are set "on hold" as much as current (mainline) kernel because if you install them the kernel won't boot anymore.

1 minute ago, dam74 said:

hello, thanks for all the work, my h96 max (rk3318) works very fine on emmc.

Is there any I/O pins we can use on this board ? I2C or other ?

In my experience, no I2C bus is freely routed, such as soldering point. However, if your box has an LCD display, there is a workaround. In 90% of such boxes, the display drive IC is I2C bus, so you can connect it to its corresponding pins (SCK, SDA) with another device.

Hi,

I have a problem of NO_PUBKEY with apt.

Réception de :9 http://armbian.systemonachip.net/apt jammy InRelease [26,8 kB]
Err :9 http://armbian.systemonachip.net/apt jammy InRelease
  Les signatures suivantes n'ont pas pu être vérifiées car la clé publique n'est pas disponible : NO_PUBKEY 93D6889F9F0E78D5
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances... Fait
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
6 paquets peuvent être mis à jour. Exécutez « apt list --upgradable » pour les voir.
W: Une erreur s'est produite lors du contrôle de la signature. Le dépôt n'est pas mis à jour et les fichiers d'index précédents seront utilisés. Erreur de GPG : http://armbian.systemonachip.net/apt jammy InRelease : Les signatures suivantes n'ont pas pu être vérifiées car la clé publique n'est pas disponible : NO_PUBKEY 93D6889F9F0E78D5
W: Impossible de récupérer http://apt.armbian.com/dists/jammy/InRelease Les signatures suivantes n'ont pas pu être vérifiées car la clé publique n'est pas disponible : NO_PUBKEY 93D6889F9F0E78D5
W: Le téléchargement de quelques fichiers d'index a échoué, ils ont été ignorés, ou les anciens ont été utilisés à la place.

How can I solve this error ?

Thank

@MBB I read that you also had a problem with the Wireless chip last month, specifically the drive you used. Can you describe to me exactly how I need to add a symlink so I can try another driver on my box? I have a Wi-fi chip like this: Broadcom brcm4334B1 to which I know @jock hasn't matched the current image yet.
Thenks.

@paradigman Sorry to take a few days to reply - was buried in another project and had put the rockchip boards away.  For me, one issue was Bluetooth, so not sure it is the same issue you see.  Bluetooth appears to be a BCM43342.  And even though the BCM43342.hcd file existed, Bluetooth couldn't find any devices in a scan.  My fix was to symlink the default BCM.hdc to this BCM43342.hcd file, a less-than-clean solution.  But I wasn't able to find anything else that worked.   I believe @awawa ran into the same issue.

For WiFi, I don't recall an issue with any parts that ended in 30 or 34 (eg, sp6330, sp6334, FX8934, or HCY6334).  Also the LG642 worked for me.  Not sure how that relates to the part you have.  

Sorry if this isn't helpful! ;(

hi guys, hope you're all having a great time :D

thank again to @jockfor this great software, I've now got a HK1 max and a H96max+ working and I want to set up a couple of servers with some USB sticks to backup and dump data to....just using NFS shares cos I'm a linux user :thumbup:

the H96max+ box doesn't appear keen on an intenso stick formatted with ext4....I've just got the round HK1 max to mount one of my sticks formatted with exfat

is there a recommendation for what format to use?

cheers 

Edited by mkultra
can't spell durrr

23 hours ago, mkultra said:

is there a recommendation for what format to use?

Well, usually f2fs is the generally recommended filesystem for flash-based devices, but it's a matter of personal opinion, since many people say they get good results with btrfs or even ext4...

@Revsearcher that's a completely new board and it looks like this is the first board with eMCP on rk3318 to me.

Indeed the serial log would be very useful, but I see the serial is buried somewhere and not immediately accessible.

I will take a look to the dtb...

Ah, the photos are quite low resolution, I can't read anything on the board and neither the chip details are readable...

@Revsearcher Also look under the green quality test sticker on the under side if some pads is being hidden there.

You have 2 pads on the upper side hear the unpopulated ram / MMC pads that very likely is forcing mask rom mode but cant being 100% sure if not tested with high impedance  resistor shutting them or oscilloscope. 

I think its one RL3318 box that is super stripped like my and many other RK3228A boxes and the HDMI is not working with armbian then have doing no standard layout of the PCB and need patching the RK chip for getting it working that we dont knowing for the moment. If its so you shall getting the Ethernet requesting one IP-address if waiting some minute with multi too and can connecting with SSH to it but then is normally the LED looking OK.

Some PB is using the SD-card pins for UART if no SD-card is inserted but i think its not supported for all PCBs (its using 2 pin serial = UART if not card is in and 4 pin serial then card is inserted and loading the MMC module for the SD-card).

Thank you very much all.

I could install armbian; the problem was related to the HDMI issue that doesn't work on my device, and the led keep red.

The interesting part is that I bought the device as a 4gb ram (and android shows 4gb) while it only has 1.5GB when I checked by armbian!

On 6/14/2022 at 10:16 AM, jock said:

@Revsearcher that's a completely new board and it looks like this is the first board with eMCP on rk3318 to me.

Indeed the serial log would be very useful, but I see the serial is buried somewhere and not immediately accessible.

I will take a look to the dtb...

Ah, the photos are quite low resolution, I can't read anything on the board and neither the chip details are readable...

I also took another image with a higher quality might be useful:

3.jpg

On 6/14/2022 at 10:19 AM, fabiobassa said:

@Revsearcher

Try to remove heatsink the uart could be there

It is almost impossible to remove the heatsink, but as I checked carefully I could see the bga pins only.

On 6/14/2022 at 11:52 AM, MattWestB said:

@Revsearcher Also look under the green quality test sticker on the under side if some pads is being hidden there.

You have 2 pads on the upper side hear the unpopulated ram / MMC pads that very likely is forcing mask rom mode but cant being 100% sure if not tested with high impedance  resistor shutting them or oscilloscope. 

I think its one RL3318 box that is super stripped like my and many other RK3228A boxes and the HDMI is not working with armbian then have doing no standard layout of the PCB and need patching the RK chip for getting it working that we dont knowing for the moment. If its so you shall getting the Ethernet requesting one IP-address if waiting some minute with multi too and can connecting with SSH to it but then is normally the LED looking OK.

Some PB is using the SD-card pins for UART if no SD-card is inserted but i think its not supported for all PCBs (its using 2 pin serial = UART if not card is in and 4 pin serial then card is inserted and loading the MMC module for the SD-card).

Thanks. You solved my problem. I checked all the SD-card/USBs and Ethernet pins for the UART part, but I couldn't get any result.

11 minutes ago, Revsearcher said:

The interesting part is that I bought the device as a 4gb ram (and android shows 4gb) while it only has 1.5GB when I checked by armbian!

That's so, the eMCP part has 16GB of flash memory and 1.5GB of RAM; that's just another fake like many others.

Hi @jock and everyone

I am trying to install Anbox https://docs.anbox.io/userguide/install.html but the current kernel is not compatible. Modules are missing..

I tried to install these modules as shown here https://github.com/anbox/anbox-modules but it fails..

I see on github armbian build that .config need add CONFIG_KPROBES=y https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/369b0909f6d268375eb17ecec6f0e71975001a33

and I find https://github.com/SoulInfernoDE/compile-kernel-from-source/blob/main/nogui/.config-fragment

It seems to me that it would also be necessary to add these different lines in the .config of the kernel compilation, but I may be wrong..

Any help is welcome.

Would it be possible to modify the kernel config in order to be able to install and use Anbox.

Thank again and again..

Have a nice day..

Edited by MX10.AC2N

Hello, I am going to try again with my RK3328 MX10 box with the SV6051P wifi and see if I can get it working this time around. I was trying to compile @jockArmbian fork and I encountered this compile error.

I am trying to compile for the legacy kernel and it spit out this error.

LD      drivers/net/wireless/rockchip_wlan/ssv6xxx/built-in.o

CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rockchip_wlan/ssv6xxx/ssvdevice/ssvdevice.o

CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rockchip_wlan/ssv6xxx/ssvdevice/ssv_cmd.o

scripts/extract-cert.c: In function ‘display_openssl_errors’:

scripts/extract-cert.c:46:9: warning: ‘ERR_get_error_line’ is deprecated: Since OpenSSL 3.0 [-Wdeprecated-declarations]

46 |         while ((e = ERR_get_error_line(&file, &line))) {

411 | unsigned long ERR_get_error_line(const char **file, int *line);

scripts/extract-cert.c: In function ‘drain_openssl_errors’:

scripts/extract-cert.c:59:9: warning: ‘ERR_get_error_line’ is deprecated: Since OpenSSL 3.0 [-Wdeprecated-declarations]

59 |         while (ERR_get_error_line(&file, &line)) {}

411 | unsigned long ERR_get_error_line(const char **file, int *line);

drivers/net/wireless/rockchip_wlan/ssv6xxx/ssvdevice/ssv_cmd.c:1544:43: error: argument to ‘sizeof’ in ‘strncat’ call is the same expression as the source; did you mean to use the size of the destination? [-Werror=sizeof-pointer-memaccess]

cc1: all warnings being treated as errors

make[5]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:278: drivers/net/wireless/rockchip_wlan/ssv6xxx/ssvdevice/ssv_cmd.o] Error 1

make[4]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:484: drivers/net/wireless/rockchip_wlan/ssv6xxx] Error 2

make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:484: drivers/net/wireless/rockchip_wlan] Error 2

make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:484: drivers/net/wireless] Error 2

make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:484: drivers/net] Error 2

make: *** [Makefile:1048: drivers] Error 2

[ error ] ERROR in function compile_kernel [ main.sh:588 -> main.sh:489 -> compilation.sh:508 -> general.sh:0 ]

[ error ] Kernel was not built [ @host ]

[ o.k. ] Process terminated 

On 6/2/2022 at 7:03 AM, paradigman said:

In my experience, no I2C bus is freely routed, such as soldering point. However, if your box has an LCD display, there is a workaround. In 90% of such boxes, the display drive IC is I2C bus, so you can connect it to its corresponding pins (SCK, SDA) with another device.

Interesting !! I have a couple of H96Max with LCD. I'll check and Let you know people. If this is posible we may add a GPIO Expander like the PCF8575 (16 Pin).

This is the H96MAX display driver ( more precise LED driver) I couldn't find yet the PDFspecs. I'm asumming this is a sort of TM1637 Led Driver which is by the way I2C or The Two-Wire Interface (TWI) is similar to the I2C interface with a few differences.

image.png.c29227e45055ddd050c43000251021c7.png

12 hours ago, zero48 said:

This is the H96MAX display driver ( more precise LED driver) I couldn't find yet the PDFspecs. I'm asumming this is a sort of TM1637 Led Driver which is by the way I2C or The Two-Wire Interface (TWI) is similar to the I2C interface with a few differences.

Yes, in my (limited) experience, those chips use either a two wire interface (sort-of i2c bus, but with some more limitations) or a surrogate of SPI bus.

The chip in the photo looks like a fd6551, which I have on a rk3318 box here and uses the two-wire interface that has to be "emulated" via software using bit-banging (= triggering up & down the GPIOs) by the kernel driver.

You can emulate any of these simple buses using bit-banging, but clearly it is less accurate and more cpu-consuming than proper hardware support, nonetheless it works.

AFAIK the kernel already has a driver to do i2c via bit-banging (old article: https://lwn.net/Articles/230571/ , documentation of the device tree to "create" such bus: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/i2c/i2c-gpio.txt )

But beware, since fd6551 (and friends) does not use i2c but the limited two-wire version, i2c-gpio would probably not work (at least, when I tried, I didn't succeed)

13 hours ago, zero48 said:

Ez a H96MAX kijelző illesztőprogramja ( pontosabban LED meghajtó ) A PDF specifikációt még nem találtam meg. Feltételezem, hogy ez egyfajta TM1637 Led Driver, amely egyébként I2C vagy a The Two-Wire Interface (TWI) hasonló az I2C interfészhez, néhány különbséggel.

I have attached the data sheet for the chip. The thing I wrote above really works is that you can connect another I2C device to the two appropriate pins on the chip. However, this is not enough, you need to use the OpenVFD driver (in place compile) and modify it in small dips to be able to send commands to the other device.

FD6551_Datasheet.pdf

UPDATE!!

Hello, I'm pleased to announce that rk3318 CSC configuration has been accepted into mainline kernel!.

This means that next Armbian release (probably August) will provide regular kernel upgrades offered by Armbian ecosystem via normal apt upgrade command.

Until then, please stay stick to the usual manual upgrade!

But there is something more: new update for the rk3318/rk3328 images!

Most important changes:

• Kernel upgraded to version v5.18.6
  • Memory clock set to 667 MHz (was 333 MHz), providing a nice boost in general, desktop and GPU performance; despite this works fine on my board I always warn you to test images first via sdcard ;)
  • Introduces MGLRU patches from @yuzhaogoogle (you can read about here and search google for more details), which should provide much snappier experience especially on low-memory devices

You can find the images and deb packages for upgrades browsing the directory pointed on first page as usual.

You can visit the Armbian MGLRU topic, if you have questions about the features or kernel issues (like crash dumps which involve kswapd, for example)

1 hour ago, jock said:

UPDATE!!

Hello, I'm pleased to announce that rk3318 CSC configuration has been accepted into mainline kernel!.

This means that next Armbian release (probably August) will provide regular kernel upgrades offered by Armbian ecosystem via normal apt upgrade command.

Until then, please stay stick to the usual manual upgrade!

But there is something more: new update for the rk3318/rk3328 images!

Most important changes:

• Kernel upgraded to version v5.18.6
  • Memory clock set to 667 MHz (was 333 MHz), providing a nice boost in general, desktop and GPU performance; despite this works fine on my board I always warn you to test images first via sdcard ;)
  • Introduces MGLRU patches from @yuzhaogoogle (you can read about here and search google for more details), which should provide much snappier experience especially on low-memory devices

You can find the images and deb packages for upgrades browsing the directory pointed on first page as usual.

You can visit the Armbian MGLRU topic, if you have questions about the features or kernel issues (like crash dumps which involve kswapd, for example)

Congrats