Which tag should I use the latest stable kernel version on Banana Pi M1 ?

J.M.

Hi all,

Which branch or tag should I use if I'm willing to work on the latest stable linux version on Banana Pi M1 ?

How do I choose between legacy / current / dev, and what are the differences between them ?

Is there some guide that explain these issues ?

If someone is willing to answer by giving an example, then lets assume I want to build from source kernel 5.10.32 on Banana Pi M1. 

Thanks in advance

5 hours ago, J.M. said:

Which branch or tag should I use if I'm willing to work on the latest stable linux version on Banana Pi M1 ?

How do I choose between legacy / current / dev, and what are the differences between them ?

For that you build with expert=yes

6 hours ago, J.M. said:

If someone is willing to answer by giving an example, then lets assume I want to build from source kernel 5.10.32 on Banana Pi M1. 

I made videos showing how to do this. 

It is now also possible to build Armbian with an ARM64 SBC. Tho best to use Balbes images for that.
https://users.armbian.com/balbes150/

I think the main build script now can do that. In this video I had to use another branch. So that info is outdated. All others should still be valid. 

10 hours ago, J.M. said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

if you wanted to build last stable release that would be LIB_TAG=v21.02 .. but you probably just want to stick with building from MASTER and use "current" as your kernel branch.

Building from tags may fail and is not supported. The reason is because 3rd party sources Armbian relies on may change any time (mainline kernel for example) and patches may fail.

We cannot afford to fork all those sources and freeze them at a certain point due to lack of (human) ressources.

16 hours ago, NicoD said:

For that you build with expert=yes

I made videos showing how to do this. 

That's a great video, thanks!

However, something is still wrong, but I can't tell why.

I've cloned the armbian-build, and ran the compile.sh (I'm on the master branch) and did exactly the same as you did in your video (even choose the same board, just for testing), but no matter what is the configuration I choose, I get this message: 

[ error ] ERROR in function prepare_host [ general.sh:1052 ]
[ error ] It seems you ignore documentation and run an unsupported build system: bionic 

After reviewing general.sh:1052 , I understand I must compile it on Ubuntu 20.04, right ? (I ran it on Ubuntu 18.04 - same as you did in your video). 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.