The kernel source of S905W - TX3 mini

Darknight

Seem the kernel custom source of S905W - TX3 mini no longer maintance and it is removed on the github of @balbes150.

I want to continues develop and apply some bug fix. Anyone have this repository, please share me.

Thank you very much!

I would recommend starting with mainline kernel sources - they work well on s905x devices (that is what I am running on all my devices).  You could also look at the standard armbian meson64 kernel (mainline plus some patches) in the armbian/build tree.

15 hours ago, SteeMan said:

I would recommend starting with mainline kernel sources - they work well on s905x devices (that is what I am running on all my devices).  You could also look at the standard armbian meson64 kernel (mainline plus some patches) in the armbian/build tree.

Thank you! It is difficult to find the kernel version support for S905w, could you tell me detail about the kernel version, and the patch repo which built successfull ?
I tried with the kernel 5.10, 5.11 but no luck. After install the new kernel the box can not boot again.

46 minutes ago, Darknight said:

Thank you! It is difficult to find the kernel version support for S905w, could you tell me detail about the kernel version, and the patch repo which built successfull ?
I tried with the kernel 5.10, 5.11 but no luck. After install the new kernel the box can not boot again.

That's not as easy as compile from repo and push the thing in to let it work.

The mainline kernel of course builts successfully, but there are many things around that must be set to let it work. Talking just about the kernel itself, the first two things that pops in my mind are the kernel configuration and the device trees.

Armbian deals with all those things around, you may take a look into the source code to understand how many things are done to let the finished image boot. It's plenty of work.

Perhaps if you specify what's your need, someone can answer if it is an "easy" task or not.

38 minutes ago, jock said:

That's not as easy as compile from repo and push the thing in to let it work.

The mainline kernel of course builts successfully, but there are many things around that must be set to let it work. Talking just about the kernel itself, the first two things that pops in my mind are the kernel configuration and the device trees.

Armbian deals with all those things around, you may take a look into the source code to understand how many things are done to let the finished image boot. It's plenty of work.

Perhaps if you specify what's your need, someone can answer if it is an "easy" task or not.

I want to change some kernel config and rebuild it.

Currenlty, i am using Armbian_20.05.0-trunk_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.5.1_20200218. So would you like to tell me how to find the fast way to reconfig kernel config?

Thank you!

@DarknightIf you're very lucky nothing changed in the device tree syntax, but considering there are 7 releases between 5.5 and 5.12 I doubt that you're so lucky, standard armbian images provide the kernel config in /boot directory. You can use that one as a .config for a newer kernel.

Beware that the resulting kernel is not guaranteed to work and then debugging is not as easy task at all.

1 hour ago, jock said:

@DarknightIf you're very lucky nothing changed in the device tree syntax, but considering there are 7 releases between 5.5 and 5.12 I doubt that you're so lucky, standard armbian images provide the kernel config in /boot directory. You can use that one as a .config for a newer kernel.

Beware that the resulting kernel is not guaranteed to work and then debugging is not as easy task at all.

Unfortunately, I tried modifing the .config file in /boot, seem it is not effect. I'm looking another way to change.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Darknight said:

Unfortunately, I tried modifing the .config file in /boot, seem it is not effect. I'm looking another way to change.

Thank you!

Of course, changing that file is pointless: it is the configuration of the shipped kernel.

You can use it as a base for a new kernel compilation, but you have to effectively compile the kernel or nothing will change

If you want help (and both jock and I are here to help you), you do need to provide some more information.  Things that would be helpful include:

1) What are you trying to accomplish?  (people don't just change kernel config files and rebuild kernels for no reason)

- what changes do you want to make and why?

2) What experience do you have in building kernels?  Have you built an x86 kernel before?

- knowing where you are starting from experience wise helps us give you the appropriate level of information

I started a year or so ago about where I think you are.  My goal was to get more regular kernel updates following the linux mainline sources.  I spent a couple of months reading a lot of threads in these forums about others who had done similar things and over time built up my knowledge so that I am now able to build mainline kernels for both my test and production boxes. (I just this morning updated one of my test boxes to the just release 5.12.0 kernel).

As jock mentioned above the overall process is more than just compiling and building a kernel image.  You also need to understand the boot process so that your kernel is correctly invoked by the boot process and then you also need to understand enough about dtb files so the kernel knows how to interact with your hardware.

From some of my notes from last year here is a thread I found useful in my learning process: