How to install Docker on a banana-Pi system: ... and separate the config-data in a smart way

malaga

dear community, :)

let me express that i am very very lucky to be here - to be here and being a part of this great and awesome community.  :)

had good times working on Banana-Pi with some stuff like NAS things. But now i want to put on Raspi things that are parts of a IoT-Server.
Therefore i am planning a headstart into docker!

Docker is a tool that allows you to deploy applications inside of software containers. With Docker, images are used to configure the operating system and install an application's dependencies. Then from the image, containers are created to run the application.

Well - running Docker on the Banana Pi seems to be very helpful and useful. It gives me options to run various applications with very little overhead. i am planing to run a pi Server which should be grounded and based on Docker:

it is aimed to run it with (for example the following things and ingredients ( of let us say a IoT-server) - see my whishlist:

- VPN,
- Dropbox backup,
- Influx-database,
- Grafana,
- mosquitto... and so forth

... which are some of the ingredients of a iot-server

i guess that docker helps me to solve the issues and mess with all the dependecies of the above mentioned stuff. I want to manage the fuzz of having all the dependncies _ i want to use docker-containers. The apps are difficult to install and come with a bunch of dependencies.

in earlier times i install the applications into the filesystem of my Banana-Pi. But this drives me nuts sometime. so i decided to go ahead and to work (in future) with docker-containers. The dockercontainers hide all the things inside and the outside of dockers are standardized.

That said - i hope that the the system can handle all the containers (which themselves hold all the preconfigured and prefabricated apps like Dropbox-backup, Grafana and so forth)

With the docker from docker-hub i hope to be fine - dockerhub gives me the option to automatically refresh all my applications. for example Where the container stores its configuratons, datas and the logfiles.

but wait: these configuration-data are stored inside the containers. The bad thing is - we cannot access these data from the outside.
well how to go round this. How to do a workaround

What if, i am willing to access the data from the outside?

So the question is: Is there a way to map the data from the containers to our standard Raspberry-pi system!?
all i want is to do keep the setup of the installation separated from the other data.

How to do that - how to achieve this setup!?

i really look foward to hear from you

regards:)

Malaga

Hi Malaga,

Your question is not directly related to armbian or any relevant OS for a given board, but it is more a question about docker itself and how it manages data: https://docs.docker.com/storage/

On dockerhub, you'll find most images where the data specific to the encapsulated software is binded to a local folder by setting the relevant volume. Look for instance to this image: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/nextcloud where -v /path/to/appdata:/config defines the location where your can access to the config files from the host operating system and -v /path/to/data:/data corresponds to the data stored with nextcloud so that you can target any local drive properly configured and mounted from the host operating system.

29 minutes ago, jeanrhum said:

On dockerhub, you'll find most images where the data specific to the encapsulated software is binded to a local folder by setting the relevant volume. Look for instance to this image: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/nextcloud where -v /path/to/appdata:/config defines the location where your can access to the config files from the host operating system and -v /path/to/data:/data corresponds to the data stored with nextcloud so that you can target any local drive properly configured and mounted from the host operating system.

Hello dear Jeanhuam 

many thanks for the reply  - and for the valuable hints - and the tipps. I will have a closer look a this link and your recommended methods and waiy. 

Many thanks for all!

This forum is such a great place. i am so glad to be here. 

have a great day 

Yours Malaga

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.