Orange PI mini - USB doesn't work as expected on Debian

radosek21

As soon as I installed the latest version of the Wheezy I have found that there is some problem with an USB. When I start my Orange PI I can see that USB devices are power supplied from the bus only first a few seconds (when the bootloader is active I guess) and then being switched off. When I plug an USB device and supply it externally then it seems to be working well. 
My question is: how to switch on power supply of the USB port on my Orange PI?
I have read a number of linux forums and found nothing.
Very promising seems a command
echo on > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/power/level

or similar but unfortunately it has no effect.

Any hint, guys?
Thanks a lot.
Radek

Latest U-boot has direct support for Orange Pi mini while there is no support for it in kernel. In any of it - talking about stable kernels. Haven't search the dev zone.

My question is: how to switch on power supply of the USB port on my Orange PI?

For which kernel?

Dear Igor, please, can You explain me step-by-step (because I'm a noob) how can I make usable with Orange Pi mini your Desktop Trusty image (Kernel 3.4.108 with HW accelerated video playback)?

When I just boot image, I have dead USB, even OTG, when I try to do according your recommendation (maybe I do it wrong), I have nothing.

The solution we are talking here is for a new / vanilla kernel (www.kernel.org) which uses standard Device Tree.

I don't have a proven .fex file for Orange PI mini , neither I have a board to adjust .fex.

If you can tell me which official / semi official image is working ok, I / you can salvage that file (script.bin).

... and your USB ports will be operational.

If it may be helpfull, my Orange Pi mini now is operating under Lubuntu from this link. But it based on kernel 3.4.90 armv7l.

Also I've a bit tried to use your Debian image for Orange Pi (not mini)  from your site

Both have working USB

I beg your pardon for stupid questions, but it is hard way of beginner - to be a clown for Masters :)

Ahaa, you are using image designed for Cubietruck or Banana. There are small differences between those boards. You can simply relink board definitions. Login as root and type:

ln -sf /boot/bin/orangepi.bin /root/script.bin
reboot

Or use this image:

http://mirror.igorpecovnik.com/Armbian_4.2_Orangepi_Ubuntu_trusty_3.4.108_desktop.zip

Not yet officially released and also you might need to wait for a file to get mirrored to the server. Up to one hour from now.

Igor, it's awesome, thank You :)

Bit of features - HW mouse pointer not working, but SW works fine. And what about sound over HDMI? Do You know if can it works with this core or there is no sense to try?

And one more question - how can I check to be sure about HW video acceleration is working? Mplayer with "-zoom" option is very slow. If HW acceleration works in this case, my hope about multimedia capabilities of Orange under Linux is crashed :)

I've fixed a sound over HDMI according your recommendation without any problem, but about HW acceleration of video I have no enough experience to understand WTF:

Step-by-step all was checked and done, but...

root@orangepi:~# mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffmpeg12vdpau,ffh264vdpau, *avi

MPlayer 1.1-4.8 © 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
__blah-blah-blah__
Playing The.Simpsons_S03_E01_Stark.Raving.Dad.avi.
libavformat version 54.20.4 (external)
Mismatching header version 54.20.3
AVI file format detected.
[aviheader] Video stream found, -vid 0
[aviheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
VIDEO:  [XVID]  640x480  12bpp  23.976 fps  941.3 kbps (114.9 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
__blah-blah-blah__
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
__blah-blah-blah__

...and sound only, no video