RK3399 RAM overclocking rockpro64

Salvador Liébana

Hi guys! 

so, i've noted a major difference between the friendlyarm rk3399 sbcs and the other models, ant that's bc the friendly arm rk3399s run at 1866 mhz while the other models run at 1600 mhz. 

that means 100 glmark2 points less, for example.I would like to know how to use this bootloader instead, and even then, how to even go further.

I overclocked my rockpro64 to 2.2 ghz for the big cores and 1.8 for the low power cores.

Its interesting how much performance we can get with this cosmetic changes. obviously,its at my own risk. 

the rockpro64 was tested at higher frequencies than 1866 mhz, so I would expect at least that armbian should bump the ram freq of the bootloader up to that frequency.

I would like to know how to unpack this bootloader, and how to ... use it, basically.. 

best regards!!

rk3399_ddr_933MHz_v1.11.bin

Overclocking the cpu was easy from the dtb with the right values from somewhere else. but the ram speeds are inside the bootloader. something I have no cluw on how it works.

we have that bootloader from pine64, but no idea how to actually use it. 

I modified the values and replaced this optional overlay. if it doesnt go up to 2.2 ghz on the big cores its bc the regulator it's pulling down that request.

it will not work on every model. the 1.8 ghz on the low power cores will do. 

also, use a good fan hahaha.. i doesnt need to spin fast.. you just need a fan. 

rockchip-rk3399-opp-2ghz.dtbo

@Salvador Liébana:

Please don't use 1.5 Volts. You will destroy your Rockpro64! If your CPU can't handle 2.2GHz at 1.3 Volt then it can't handle it at all. 1.5 Volts is .25 Volts above the RK3399 specifications. 1.5 Volt will not only wear your CPU much more than needed it will also make the system unstable. Run 'stress -c 6' and you will see.

On 5/20/2021 at 4:12 AM, Salvador Liébana said:

Hi guys! 

so, i've noted a major difference between the friendlyarm rk3399 sbcs and the other models, ant that's bc the friendly arm rk3399s run at 1866 mhz while the other models run at 1600 mhz. 

that means 100 glmark2 points less, for example.I would like to know how to use this bootloader instead, and even then, how to even go further.

I overclocked my rockpro64 to 2.2 ghz for the big cores and 1.8 for the low power cores.

Its interesting how much performance we can get with this cosmetic changes. obviously,its at my own risk. 

the rockpro64 was tested at higher frequencies than 1866 mhz, so I would expect at least that armbian should bump the ram freq of the bootloader up to that frequency.

I would like to know how to unpack this bootloader, and how to ... use it, basically.. 

best regards!!

rk3399_ddr_933MHz_v1.11.bin 68.28 kB · 35 downloads

Hi!

I was also trying to do overclocking on the rockpro64, /boot/armbianEnv.txt now looks like:

verbosity=1
bootlogo=false
overlay_prefix=rockchip-rk3399
rootdev=UUID=73fac48d-4f73-4ac1-b899-e67dc98b5794
rootfstype=ext4
overlays=opp-2ghz
extraargs=net.ifnames=0
usbstoragequirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u

I am using the file in /boot/dtb-5.10.43-rockchip64/rockchip/overlay/rockchip-rk3399-opp-2ghz.dtbo that was already there (I guess came with Armbian)

But now I am getting this at boot (see screenshot), which seems like an error for "fdt", which I guess something goes wrong here in boot.scr:

Screenshot_20210822-201352.thumb.jpg.5449dc2e5e6addbce9b17cf58b239474.jpg

root@rockpro64:/boot# cat boot.cmd | grep fdt
load ${devtype} ${devnum} ${fdt_addr_r} ${prefix}dtb/${fdtfile}
fdt addr ${fdt_addr_r}
fdt resize 65536
                fdt apply ${load_addr} || setenv overlay_error "true"
                fdt apply ${load_addr} || setenv overlay_error "true"
        load ${devtype} ${devnum} ${fdt_addr_r} ${prefix}dtb/${fdtfile}
booti ${kernel_addr_r} ${ramdisk_addr_r} ${fdt_addr_r}

Any idea? Does armbianEnv.txt need more parameters to pass to boot.scr?

Thanks in advance!

The rk3399-opp-2ghz overlay is currently broken on all RK3399 SBCs since Linux 5.15 kernel btw (including both, "current" 5.15 and "edge" 5.18). Another report on this forum: 

And we replicated on NanoPi R4S and got reports on ROCK Pi 4 and NanoPi M4.

I've also noticed using an overlay to overclock the RK3399 on 5.15.y doesn't work, although in my testing it does work fine on 5.17 / 5.18.y. One solution is to patch the rk3399-opp.dtsi and add a turbo-mode switch. This way the board can be overclocked on the fly with a simple `echo "1" > sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/boost`.

013-rk3399-opp-overclock-2GHz-turbo-mode.patch