RK3566 and Armbian

ghoul

In terms of mainline support this should be possible if the device tree is known since lots of stuff for rk3568 has been spotted in the Linux ARM mailing list.

However it seems like only initial support has been approved yet and is up to being released with 5.13.

4 hours ago, Werner said:

In terms of mainline support this should be possible if the device tree is known since lots of stuff for rk3568 has been spotted in the Linux ARM mailing list.

However it seems like only initial support has been approved yet and is up to being released with 5.13.

So we basically need only to be patient and wait, and this is great because GNU/Linux on RK3566 and RK3568 should give a truly enjoyable experience. Anyway, thanks for the reply!

I wonder why RK3566 and even RK3228A TV boxes come with 8GB RAM, but the vastly superior RK3399 is only ever seen with 4GB.
Also, this may interest some people here (whoops if already posted).
It's a random(?) putting what appears to be a @balbes150's RK3566 build on X96 X6, a 8GB TV box, and claiming that even WiFi/Bluetooth works? Unclear.

10 hours ago, qm3ster said:

I wonder why RK3566 and even RK3228A TV boxes come with 8GB RAM, but the vastly superior RK3399 is only ever seen with 4GB.

Because rk3228a with 8gb ram has huge fakes. The chip cannot address more than 2gb of ram and that's a fact.

> mmie4jbcu has reported armbian on x88 pro 20

Thanks @maka for mentioning :)

@Lelle I usually use the Station M2 edge images from the community builds: https://github.com/armbian/community

I prefer the Ubuntu based images (lunar as of now).

Most importantly, you'd need a proper dtb to point to. I have attached the rk3566-box-demo dtb (and its source dts) that I'm using right now. This dts is the latest from mainline kernel with an additional patch to allow the usb 2.0 port to function.

I assume you know where to place the dtb file and how to update your extlinux.conf file to point to it. If not, then please feel free to ask further questions.

rk3566-box-demo.zip

Hello :)  (i'm new on Armbian )

@mmie4jbcu : I will be interested to know more about how to work with dtb file and update extlinux.conf file using an existing armbian img.

I have a tv box with rk3566/4Gb RAM (btw: the seller was promoting it as 8Gb RAM...in reality it is 4...)

Thank you in advance for guidance

Hi @Petru Susa

As @hotnikq mentioned in his comment, please go through the links he shared. Feel free to ask here about any follow up questions.

To directly answer your question, dtb files are found usually under the dtb directory in the /boot directory. If you have written an armbian image onto a sdcard, you can insert in your computer and browse to where it is mounted. The dtb files for rockchip will be in /boot/dtb/rockchip directory.

The extlinux.conf file is used to define the path to kernel as well as the dtb file. In extlinux.conf, you can update the dtb path  to whatever dtb you want to use.

What is the box that you have got? Can you share some pictures of the board? This way, awesome people in this community will be able to help - someone may recognize this board or offer some more hints to where to look further.

Hi @FuSan

what version of armbian is best for x88 pro 20? Can you share the dtb too?

The latest version of Armbian will work just fine. The mainline dtb named rk3566-box-demo.dtb has pretty much everything working for a x88 pro 20 box (except BT and USB 2.0 port)

asking this even after you mentioned some suggestions regarding this; because I can't seem to make the wifi or Bluetooth to work in any of the versions.

I have attached the dtb file that I use (and its source dts file too, in case you want to have a look). This dtb enables the bluetooth to work and also USB 2.0 port.

Try it out and let us know.

rk3566-box-demo.dtb rk3566-box-demo.dts

@mmie4jbcu Yeah, it seems wifi and bluetooth aren't working for me. My memory configuration is also weird. I was supposed to have 8gb ram but it shows 5.53gb ram and 2.77gb swap.

image.png.8b2346340b6057de71659bef791e19a2.png

I do have the 6221A-SRC metal cover which should be the same RTL8821CS network chip. Any idea how to debug the wifi?

On the sidenote, I saw that many of the updated stock android firmware (x88 pro 20) from 4pda didn't work for me. Only the initial firmware worked for me. I did manage to flash t95plus android firmware and it booted.

Edited by FuSan

@FuSan Please share the output of the dmesg command just after you log in into Armbian.

I recall that the swap configuration can be changed by editing the file /etc/default/armbian-zram-config. If you disable zram, then you will see almost 8GB ram in your htop output.

Edited by mmie4jbcu
additional info

@FuSan So, you have kernel 6.1.x running on your Armbian install. The driver for RTL8821CS chip was added in version 6.3 or 6.4 in the mainline kernel. You can change to a kernel with version 6.6 or later. Try searching for 'linux-image-rockchip64' using apt search command and install that kernel. I usually prefer the edge kernels because I like to stay on the bleeding edge ;)

Then, also install 'armbian-firmware-full' because it has firmware blobs to enable both wifi and bt for 8821cs.

@mmie4jbcu I think it was rebased to 6.1.x for some reason. I am on an automated nightly build.

[Armbian build PR] - Rockchip64 reinstate kernel configs for current 6.6 and edge 6.7 - SBC News - Armbian Community Forums

I can't find linux-image-rockchip64 kernel anymore. You know anyway to upgrade kernel at this stage? Can't find any image that has 6.3+ kernel.

Edit: Well according to this post rtw88 should work even in 6.1 kernel. Which it is not.

Edited by FuSan

@mmie4jbcu It was linux-image-edge-rockchip64. So couldn't find it as I used linux-image-rockchip64. Installing this fixed everything. Thank you so much for everything.

Btw which device build did you start with? By that I mean device source ig.

Edited by FuSan

@FuSan Cheers! Have fun with your device :)

13 hours ago, FuSan said:

Btw which device build did you start with? By that I mean device source ig

Do you mean which Armbian build I started with for my device? I started with Station M2 community builds (edge), because it is also a rk3566 device.

These days I run Fedora on my box.

Edited by mmie4jbcu