Libre Computer Tritium H5 does not boot from eMMC

Hello!

I have three Libre Computer Tritium H5 boards and three eMMC modules on hands. All three eMMC modules is flashed with exactly same Armbian image and exactly same uboot. I also use exactly same PSU and cable for all three boards (however I reproduced this issue with four PSU and three microUSB cables, no difference in behavior was found).

1. All three boards start just fine from microSD (so it's not exactly "Your board doesn't work?" case).
  2. One board never boot from eMMC on first power up, but almost always boot on second power up. That reproducible with all three eMMC modules.
  3. Two other boards just never boot from any eMMC module.

When board can not boot from eMMC it just stuck there:

U-Boot SPL 2021.04-armbian (May 06 2021 - 19:52:02 +0000)
DRAM: 2048 MiB
Trying to boot from MMC2

Trying to boot from MMC2

Trying to boot from MMC2

Trying to boot from MMC2

Trying to boot from MMC2

That five power up attempt as you can see.

I tried to rollback uboot to 2020.04, but it behave in exactly same way.`

All three boards was ordered at the same time, in one package.

Is anyone can reproduce this?

Is there anything else to try, or I should just give up and stick with microSD for now? (Although I probably could left uboot and /boot on microSD and then put rootfs on eMMC, but that another story.)

I have troubles booting Tritium H5 myself, but from SD card. I just power cycle it until it works. Sometimes it seems that it helps if HDMI is unplugged, but that might be just red herring. However, once it's booted, all reboots, suspend/resume cycles via Crust work. I have no idea why it's behaving that way.

56 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Personnally, I'm running on eMMC with other boards such OPi-ZeroPlus2-H5 since years ...

ah yeah.. true.... I meant the pluggable emmc modules on the Tritium-Hx boards

@RussianNeuroMancer I didn't see this thread or I would have checked it out. This has to do with the delay in mmc initialization. Sometimes it's too fast and something hasn't stabilized. One method to delay it is to enable SPL debug. I have SD cards that just refuse to work but work flawlessly when I turn on debug. There's a delay somewhere that's missing in the u-boot code.

In sunxi_mmc.c sunxi_mmc_core_init, you need to raise the udelay to 5ms or 10ms. I didn't do extensive testing but it fixes nearly all mmc problems.

Edited by Da Xue

4 часа назад, Da Xue сказал:

@RussianNeuroMancer I didn't see this thread or I would have checked it out. This has to do with the delay in mmc initialization. Sometimes it's too fast and something hasn't stabilized. One method to delay it is to enable SPL debug. I have SD cards that just refuse to work but work flawlessly when I turn on debug. There's a delay somewhere that's missing in the u-boot code.

In sunxi_mmc.c sunxi_mmc_core_init, you need to raise the udelay to 5ms or 10ms. I didn't do extensive testing but it fixes nearly all mmc problems.

Hi! Thanks for advice, but unfortunately I don't have any Tritium H5 left on hands anymore, so I can't test this. If it works for you - maybe it makes sense to submit this change to upstream or at least ask for tests on mail-list?