Clearfog build only u-boot?

BarTender
Go to solution Solved by Igor,

I'm trying to enable SATA support on my Clearfog Base that has an eMMC that I boot from. Had a lot of trouble getting the kwboot version that would work and get initial UART boot working with the correct 01001 DIP switch setting. But now it is working with Buster and I have a MSATA SSD that I would like to add for additional storage.

In theory all I should need to do is rename the patch for sata0 :

mv 'patch/u-boot/u-boot-clearfog/clearfog-pci0=msata.patch.disabled' 'patch/u-boot/u-boot-clearfog/clearfog-pci0=msata.patch'

Then build it using: 

./compile.sh  BOARD=clearfogbase BRANCH=current BUILD_MINIMAL=no BUILD_DESKTOP=no KERNEL_ONLY=yes KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no 

The only uboot file that is built is the uart one:

./cache/sources/u-boot-armada/v2018.01-solidrun-a38x/u-boot-spl-uart.kwb

So, how do I specify building the mmc target?

As I am thinking if I copy the target_mmc patch into the target_uart folder and disable the target_uart that would work, but there must be a better way and is there a way to only build u-boot and not need to rebuild the whole kernel?

There is no good way to only build uboot sorry. Regarding the created uboot, I am pretty sure all variants are built. But ./cache/sources/ is not the right place to look for them.

Please check ./output/debs/ for a uboot deb archive. Its should be named somewhat like these: https://beta.armbian.com/pool/main/l/linux-u-boot-clearfogbase-current/

If you unpack the .deb you can find all variants of u-boot inside ./usr/lib/linux-u-boot.../   they should be named accordingly.

EDIT: Just checked by building: Said .deb gets created and contains all needed files. You can also abort the buildscript with ctrl-c after it is done with uboot (and has started the kernel) to not have to build everything all the time.

Awesome Igor, much appreciated. That has saved a whole lot of time rebuilding u-boot and I completely missed that in the documentation .... and I can now see the SATA SSD:

smartctl -a /dev/sda

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     SAMSUNG MZMPA128HMFU-000H1

Fantastic, now I have plenty of storage for the Router / MITM / Docker host.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.