Enable Lima hardware acceleration

Dolence
Go to solution Solved by Igor,

Hi! I'm sorry, didn't noticed I had posted in wrong section, so here we go again!

I'm trying to activate X11 hardware acceleration on this board. It's running an RT PREEMPT Kernel from the project AllwinCNC  which aim to run linuxcnc software using ARISC core to generate steps in realtime. Unfortunately, I'm getting very bad performance in X11 with lima driver. It seems to be running on software and not the lima driver itself and I'd like to know if it is possible to have the graphics acceleration done in hardware instead. CPU usage is going to 100% and it is resulting in errors on the aforementioned CNC controller software due to this.

BOARD: Orange Pi PC 1GB

armbianmonitor -U output -> https://we.tl/t-RKjLXMHAGt

orangepipc:~:% uname -a
Linux orangepipc 5.10.21-rt34-sunxi #trunk SMP PREEMPT_RT Thu Apr 1 12:25:28 +06 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux

orangepipc:~:% lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:        10
Codename:       buster

I got this on glxgears:

111 frames in 5.0 seconds = 22.122 FPS
184 frames in 5.0 seconds = 36.786 FPS

It seems to be handled in software:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    Vendor: VMware, Inc. (0xffffffff)
    Device: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0, 128 bits) (0xffffffff)
    Version: 18.3.6
    Accelerated: no
    Video memory: 999MB
    Unified memory: no
    Preferred profile: core (0x1)
    Max core profile version: 3.3
    Max compat profile version: 3.1
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.0
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0, 128 bits)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.3.6
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 18.3.6
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
OpenGL context flags: (none)

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 18.3.6
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00

How can I have hardware acceleration on X11 using Lima? Is it possible?

31 minutes ago, Dolence said:

didn't noticed I had posted in wrong section

Many other things can be wrong - like lack of most important data for example. @Werner have provided you link to some page where you have to go trough few steps to understand what is minimum requirements to ask for technical oriented help on this forum. Ofc you can also choose to provide no data, data you think is relevant or just vague description of the problem.

tl;dr; There is too little information about software you are using, so nobody with competence can give you valuable data. If you count on our supernatural skills of mind reading - don't know anyone around to have that :P

Welcome!

26 minutes ago, Igor said:

Many other things can be wrong - like lack of most important data for example. @Werner have provided you link to some page where you have to go trough few steps to understand what is minimum requirements to ask for technical oriented help on this forum. Ofc you can also choose to provide no data, data you think is relevant or just vague description of the problem.

tl;dr; There is too little information about software you are using, so nobody with competence can give you valuable data. If you count on our supernatural skills of mind reading - don't know anyone around to have that :P

Welcome!

You are right! I've been searching for help on too many places for too many time. Totally forgot this isn't the project forum. I'm sorry for the initial lack of information. I made an update to this topic giving some background and details about everything. Is there anything else I could be doing to make things easier?

56 minutes ago, Dolence said:

How can I have hardware acceleration on X11 using Lima? Is it possible?

General rules:  we only try to support our builds / work. That is already close to impossible due to lack of resources. When you are using custom build, support costs goes sky high and its again problematic to ask for support. Too much resources to understand what was changed. IIRC 3D support works OOB on Focal user land or higher. If you build image with our tools and enable 3D, it should work but I am not sure if there are 32bit packages for this. I know it works on 64bit. That's all i can help you here.

1 minute ago, Igor said:

General rules:  we only try to support our builds / work. That is already close to impossible due to lack of resources. When you are using custom build, support costs goes sky high and its again problematic to ask for support. Too much resources to understand what was changed. IIRC 3D support works OOB on Focal user land or higher. If you build image with our tools and enable 3D, it should work but I am not sure if there are 32bit packages for this. I know it works on 64bit. That's all i can help you here.

It is the local image downloaded from Armbian site. It's only using an preemptive kernel. linuxcnc software is just a package isntalled later. Putting this aside, let's assume I'm running a completely clean image (actually it is Armbian_21.02.3_Orangepipc_buster_current_5.10.21_xfce_desktop_h3) the problem is exactly the same. It's not anyone else build. I'm missing something?

• Solution
11 hours ago, Dolence said:

I'm missing something?

IIRC there were some issues on Debian user land and 3d acceleration and I assume they still exists (Buster is too old for fancy stuff). Its known that it works on Focal  / Hirsute. Since we just started on adding 3D support, this is certainly not present on images that are currently available. Its coming with a next release 21.08 / this month. We only have packages for Ubuntu based builds - they came from here. We have no plans to support 3d on Debian desktops since this represent extra work and maintenance burden.

As i notice https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/config/targets.conf#L522-L530 we didn't enable on 32bit probably because we need someone to test if it works. Build from sources is needed at this point. And remember to enable 3D since its not enabled by default.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.