Application Menu Programs Requiring Root Don't Launch

calinb

I'm running Armbian Focal on my Pinebook Pro. With other distros, I'm accustomed to being able to run utilities requiring root privileges like gparted and Synaptic from the Application menu. With Armbian, however, nothing happens after I click on the application. There is no popup window to authenticate with a root password and the application does not launch.

The aps work fine when run from a terminal using sudo, but how can I correct this problem with the Application menu?

Thanks!

On 8/17/2021 at 6:28 AM, Werner said:

Which image? Which version? Which DE? Insufficient information.

It's Focal so XFCE--specifically the current Armbian Focal xfce mainline based kernel 5.10.y for ("no official support") Pinebook Pro.

I can probably learn how correct it by studying the differences between the launcher on my Arbian systems vs. my MX-Linux (x86-64) program launcher on another computer. That will probably take more time than it's worth vs. just launching the root aps from the cli though. MX-Linux uses the Whisker menu so maybe a solution lies in trying to install the Whisker menu in Armbian.

Thanks

I did have this on PBP with GParted. I had to open manually.
Another thing I noticed was my storage device filling up and not making space after deleting files. 2nd time that happened. No idea why it does these things.
My NanoPi M4 seems ok, but running Buster legacy on that. Mainline focal on PBP I think 5.11.

On 8/19/2021 at 4:30 AM, NicoD said:

I did have this on PBP with GParted. I had to open manually.
Another thing I noticed was my storage device filling up and not making space after deleting files. 2nd time that happened. No idea why it does these things.
My NanoPi M4 seems ok, but running Buster legacy on that. Mainline focal on PBP I think 5.11.

Yes, Aps launch from the terminal but the menu selections fail to launch the root password authentication box, as is usual on other distros so aps requiring root do not launch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.