nanopi neo - problems with u-boot

smersh

Armbianmonitor:

Hello,

I have problems with the u-boot both with the prebuild "Armbian_21.05.1_Nanopineo_buster_current_5.10.34" image from the armbian.com and with the "Armbian_21.08.0-trunk_Nanopineo_buster_current_5.10.59_minimal" image built form sources .

First of all, the u-boot versions are different. The prebuilt image has "U-Boot 2021.04-armbian" and the second one - "2020.10"

The board boots ok with the both images, but the u-boot does not see the SD card properly and is not able to load the environment file from it: "Loading Environment from FAT... Card did not respond to voltage select! : -110"

Is there any fix for this problem?

Thanks,

NJ

49 minutes ago, smersh said:
The both do not see the SD card properly and are not able to load the environment file from it: "Loading Environment from FAT... Card did not respond to voltage select! : -110"

because there are normally since many different u-boot versions no problems with that you should consider to tr another SD-Card or Power-Supply.

On my NanoPi Neo I do use 16GB Grey/Red Sandisk-SD-Cards (80x Speed) without any problems.

2 hours ago, smersh said:

First of all, the u-boot versions are different. The prebuilt image has "U-Boot 2021.04-armbian" and the second one - "2020.10"

It's not a bug but bugfix:

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/3036

2 hours ago, smersh said:

Sources are available so I would assume its fixable. Its probably just a configuration or patch issue. Dig in. If you find and fix the problem and when you are sure it doesn't break any other board, send a patch.

Well, I'll try. 

FYI the 2020.10 u-boot is also partially broken for the Nanopi Neo 2 board. It also does not read the environment file, without throuwing error, however, and the u-boot console does not work.

All that was working in older releases of the u-boot: have just checked for Nanopi Neo with 2019.10 u-boot. 

How can I compare 2019.10 and 2020.10 sources?

Regards!

NJ

1 hour ago, smersh said:

FYI the 2020.10 u-boot is also partially broken

I know - it was triaged - since this solution covers the most important aspects - you can boot the board and it doesn't freeze. Which is not nearly granted feature and its not secured when u-boot goes up with its version. For more polishing we ran out of time ... and FYI supporting fixing bugs can cost a lot more. Also doesn't align with carefully planned time expenses for R&D.

tl;dr; With limited time and no budget  it is not possible to fix everything. There are others, more important problems waiting to be addressed.

4 hours ago, Igor said:

With limited time and no budget  it is not possible to fix everything. There are others, more important problems waiting to be addressed.

I understand that and really appreciate your work. The idea of my post was not a request for the fix but rather a search for it.

Is there any method I can use to implement 2019.10 u-boot into the current sources, if not senseless?