eMMC errors after 5.10.60 update

mrjpaxton

Hi,

Ever since updating to kernel version 5.10.60 (#21.08.1), I have been getting these weird kernel error messages. Such error messages pop up constantly when doing certain operations, like:

mmc2: running CQE recovery

And also some of these:

EXT4-fs warning (device mmcblk2p1): ext4_end_bio:349: I/O error 10 writing to inode 256 starting block 968704)

As well as these:

kernel: print_req_error: 47 callbacks suppressed
kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk2, sector 7716864 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x4000 phys_seg 8 prio class 0
kernel: Buffer I/O error on device mmcblk2p1, logical block 954373

And when updating with "apt update", I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):     
  File "/usr/lib/cnf-update-db", line 26, in <module>
    col.create(db)
  File "/usr/share/command-not-found/CommandNotFound/db/creator.py", line 94, in create
    self._fill_commands(con)
  File "/usr/share/command-not-found/CommandNotFound/db/creator.py", line 132, in _fill_commands
    self._parse_single_contents_file(con, f, fp.stdout)
  File "/usr/share/command-not-found/CommandNotFound/db/creator.py", line 228, in _parse_single_contents_file
    l = l.decode("utf-8")
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xff in position 2625: invalid start byte
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Problem executing scripts APT::Update::Post-Invoke-Success 'if /usr/bin/test -w /var/lib/command-not-found/ -a -e /usr/lib/cnf-update-db; then /usr/lib/cnf-update-db > /dev/null; fi'
E: Sub-process returned an error code
E: LZ4F: /var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_buster_updates_main_binary-arm64_Packages.lz4 Read error (18446744073709551600: ERROR_decompressionFailed)
E: LZ4F: /var/lib/apt/lists/us.mirrors.fossho.st_armbian_apt_dists_buster_main_binary-arm64_Packages.lz4 Read error (18446744073709551600: ERROR_decompressionFailed)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: The package cache file is corrupted

Honestly, it's pretty bad. But I did run this:

badblocks -v /dev/mmcblk2

And no errors were found. It makes me think that it was just the upgrade that broke everything.

This one is NOT an attempt to try to upgrade to Bullseye, but just a regular Buster/Armbian upgrade. If anyone else has had a successful upgrade, then let me know... I am not sure how to diagnose or fix any of this. I am indeed running from eMMC, and not the SD card slot.

The big problem is that since APT is completely broken, I can't even downgrade the kernel with it. What do I do to help fix this? I did do a full backup of my system, so I think I might be able to restore from it, but I'm not sure. In any case, it would be nice to know how to solve this without going to my backup, since it boots up and uses the networking stuff just fine, it's just that I can't update or upgrade anymore...

16 minutes ago, mrjpaxton said:

Ever since updating to kernel version 5.10.60 (#21.08.1), I have been getting these weird kernel error messages.

See the parallel thread (I have just changed the thread title). You need to downgrade linux on emmc to 5.10.43.