Orange Pi Prime 21.08.1 5.10.60-sunxi64 sometime failed to boot

Alex0z

Armbianmonitor:

Hi!

Armbian_21.08.1_Orangepiprime_focal_current_5.10.60_xfce_desktop sometime failed to boot. No green indicator, and black screen.

Tried to decrease CPU max frequency

sudo nano /etc/default/cpufrequtils
###
ENABLE=true
MIN_SPEED=480000
MAX_SPEED=1200000
GOVERNOR=ondemand
###

but still failed to boot sometimes.

Armbian_5.75_Orangepiprime_Debian_stretch_next_4.19.20_desktop have been installed before and boot fine during 2 years.

Thank you. Currently I don't have a serial console but possible I'll try to get it.

I suspect that it is a problem of CPU settings, because old kernel had maximum 1.1 GHz and had no problems with booting.

Would you please tell me, is the /etc/default/cpufrequtils settings relied to boot, or I should try to change cpufreq-dt driver?

Now I can say for sure that the problem begins with 21.08.

Armbian_21.05.1_Orangepiprime_focal_current_5.10.34_xfce_desktop boots up fine, 40+ tests of booting.

OPP and other content of DTS are not the cause of the problem, I have tested it.

Also I have tried another available kernels with 21.08 (5.4, 5.13, etc) and the same problem of boot stability was occurring.

Also I have tried to flash 21.08 into another SD card, the same problem was occurred.

It would be good if anyone identify the difference between 21.05.1 and 21.08 that causes the unstable booting.