Is the eMMC chip on my NAS dead ?

Cariboux

Hello everyone,

I’m starting this message by apologizing for my poor English (I am French) and also by informing you that I am a newbie with Linux.

I have a big problem with my NAS Helios64.

At first, I thought this problem was caused by OMV. So I went to the OMV forum to explain my situation. I created the following topic: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php?thread/40252-many-problems-after-an-update/&pageNo=1 . There, a kind moderator (macom) asked me to enter some instructions to try to pinpoint the root of the problem. After giving him some outputs, he told me: "For me it looks like your SD card is dead."

My installation is not on an SD card but on the eMMC chip of the Helios64. (I followed the Kobol wiki instructions exactly from here : https://wiki.kobol.io/helios64/install/emmc/ )

After that, my NAS has become unreachable. I can no longer log into the OMV Dashboard. I cannot reach the NAS by SSH either. I can just tell you that all the LED lights on the NAS are solid blue. No red diode on.

Is the eMMC chip of my NAS dead?

Is there a solution that would prevent me from losing all the data stored on the hard drives? (They are in RAID1 and they are encrypted with the OMV LUKS encryption plugin) (I have not made a data backup elsewhere ... I know, big mistake!)

I thank in advance all those who will take the time to help me.

Hard to tell without digging deeper which is only possible with serial connection. (that is true for all ARM single board computers btw.)

Pickup an USB UART adapter. They are dirt cheap and extremely helpful in debugging boot failures.

While waiting on that thing to arrive you can check the Kobol wiki and disable the eMMC via jumper and write a fresh image to an sd card and boot from that to make sure the unit itself is fine.

14 minutes ago, Werner said:

Hard to tell without digging deeper which is only possible with serial connection. (that is true for all ARM single board computers btw.)

Pickup an USB UART adapter. They are dirt cheap and extremely helpful in debugging boot failures.

Something like that ? 

--> https://www.amazon.fr/AZDelivery-Adaptateur-UART-TTL-conversion-dinterface/dp/B08T24NML9/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=USB+UART+adapter&qid=1631903713&qsid=262-4238766-5218215&sr=8-5&sres=B08T24NML9%2CB07TFSZ3ZP%2CB07BBPX8B8%2CB01CYBHM26%2CB07N2YLH26%2CB07LH6NJSZ%2CB08VRQFNSN%2CB075XK737D%2CB07TXVRQ7V%2CB07WF7BJJH%2CB0773G2K92%2CB01LY97ZM5%2CB08Y8CJRZT%2CB082R9MYV9%2CB07VDSJPKX%2CB01N9RZK6I%2CB00VBOCUIO%2CB07LH54QHM%2CB072K3Z3TL%2CB004ZMYTYC&srpt=ELECTRONIC_ADAPTER

While waiting on that thing to arrive you can check the Kobol wiki and disable the eMMC via jumper and write a fresh image to an sd card and boot from that to make sure the unit itself is fine.

OK, thank you, Werner, I will do that !

I see you updated your Device, there is a known issue with the kernel in question, there is another thread that details how you can revert back to the old .43 kernel to regain access. If you look  the following post/instructions you should be good to go. 

I'm curious  as to why no one referred you to that post. I know the title of the Thread is about upgrading to Bullseye but it also got sidetracked to troubleshooting Armbian 21.08.1 and the EMMC read only error/problem.

On 9/20/2021 at 3:34 AM, IcerJo said:

I see you updated your Device, there is a known issue with the kernel in question, there is another thread that details how you can revert back to the old .43 kernel to regain access. If you look the following post/instructions you should be good to go. 

Thank you, @IcerJo. I will try this today or tomorrow !

Two questions, please : 1/ Can I do this without fear for my data (I have 2 RAID1 encrypted with LUKS encryption plugin from OpenMediaVault) ; 2) Can I do this not with a previous Helios64 image (like the Linux 5.10.43-rockchip64) but with a more recent (like the 5.10.63 or the 5.10.64) ? I’m not sure but it’s seem that @alchemist have do this here