Booting legacy kernel with current U-Boot (OrangePi A20 board)

phelum
Go to solution Solved by phelum,

Hi,

I'm trying to boot a legacy 3.4 kernel using the current Armbian U-Boot but progress stops after U-Boot starts the kernel.  The last line displayed is "Starting kernel ...".

I believe the kernel (uImage) is being loaded at 0x48000000 and the script.bin is being loaded at 0x43000000.  These values seem correct to me.

Does anybody know if booting these old kernels is still supported with newer U-Boot ?  I'd like to have one U-Boot that can handle both old and new.

Thanks,

Steven

• Solution

To enable U-Boot to boot an old kernel the U-Boot option CONFIG_ARMV7_NONSEC must NOT be selected.  I suspect it is selected in the Armbian U-Boot.

There is also the CONFIG_OLD_SUNXI_KERNEL_COMPAT option that apparently slows DRAM access and is sub-optimal for new kernels.  I've tested with this option not selected and the OrangePi A20 board here works fine with both old and new kernels booting with this new U-Boot.

Cheers,

Steven

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.