Upgrade install on Rock Pi S. No serial console with Focal Edge image.

ballsystemlord
Go to solution Solved by Igor,

Hi,

I've already installed Armbian once before onto the SD card of my Rock PI S (Non-flash version). Before upgrading to Focal, I plugged it into my serial receiver in order to verify that I got the procedures correct so when I upgrade I'd get a console. I was glad I did that as I had forgotten I couldn't get screen(1) to work with my serial device as it can't send and receive data at the 1.5Mbs. I ended up using minicom(1).

I downloaded the Focal Edge version of Armbian, verified the data with the ASC key, and wrote it to the Micro-SD card. I then booted it and the blue LED started blinking indicating an alive and working kernel.

But I got no data over the serial console. I tried re-writting the image and reversing the RX and TX lines with no success. I then double-checked that my initial wiring was correct for my board and it was. I tried again without success.

My procedure is as follows.

1: Plug in the serial adapter which is connected to the board.

2: Start minicom.

3: Plug in the SBCs power cable.

How do I get a serial console on my Rock Pi S?

Thanks!

1 - Did you disable hardware flow control on the serial port? Minicom enables it by default, and you won't get data via 3-wire 232 serial, unless you did.

2 - Are you using the right voltage level for your serial port? They might be 3.3V, 5V, or full RS232 (8-15V) ranges.

1: Flow control, both HW and SW, is disabled.

2: Considering it worked with one of the previous Armbian releases, yes I'm certain I am using the right voltage.

Could the serial interface have been disabled by accident in the latest focal release? Or perhaps the serial port is a different set of pins now? I'm using the v1.2 PCB which uses different pins than the v1.0 board. See:

https://wiki.radxa.com/RockpiS/dev/serial-console

• Solution
56 minutes ago, ballsystemlord said:

Or perhaps the serial port is a different set of pins now?

Yes. It is clearly written on the download pages https://www.armbian.com/rockpi-s/ (Modern kernel serial console is on UART2) I have personally lost a week trying to fix this "small" problem and I will not repeat this ever again. Armbian is dropping official support for this hardware, images and upgrade will be no more ... Not your fault - we also made mistake trusting this vendor. You (anyone) can pick up and proceed with support to keep it at least on this level as now.

5 hours ago, Igor said:

Armbian is dropping official support for this hardware, images and upgrade will be no more ... Not your fault - we also made mistake trusting this vendor.

Why was it a mistake to trust the Rock Pi vendor? I ask because it seems to me that I'd need to know what's going on if I were to help support the project's efforts for this SBC.