RK3318 wont reboot after shutdown when installed on eMMc

Eddy_T

i have armbian image Armbian_21.11.0-trunk_Rk3318-box_bullseye_edge_5.14.14_minimal.img installed on an N5 Nova TV box.

I tested it running from the sd card and it works fine and reboots without any issues.

however, when i installed it to the eMMC using the burn image selection from Mulitool, it boots the first time OK but then never boots on its own afterwards. 

My only recourse was to re-install it to an sd card again

Has anyone seen this issue and any comments would be greatly appreciated

It appears that the eMMc is not getting fully erased with Multitool

After selecting erase flash with multitool, it reports that the flash has been erased successfully (Note that it did not take too long to erase the flash).

I then burned the Armbian_21.11.0-trunk_Rk3318-box_bullseye_edge_5.14.14_minimal.img to flash, which took about 1 minute to complete, and Multitool reported that the image had been successfully burnt to eMMc.

Then choosing shuttdown properly shut the box down.

Then i removed the sd card and rebooted the box by recycling the power. After 40 seconds, Armbian started the usual .boot, and i changed the root password and all looked wonderful !

I ssh'ed into the box, did the upgrades.. etc

then....................

i issued sudo shutdown -h now and again, the system shutdown as it should.

When i recycled to power to restart it, it never restarted.

I have tried this 4 times today, both while booting from eMMc and sd card.

I believe its a uboot issue

Can someone help?

thanks!

8 hours ago, Eddy_T said:

Then i removed the sd card and rebooted the box by recycling the power. After 40 seconds, Armbian started the usual .boot, and i changed the root password and all looked wonderful !

I ssh'ed into the box, did the upgrades.. etc

This is probably the mistake.

rk3318 images are "experimental" and absolutely not yet into armbian official repository.

When you do upgrades and a kernel upgrade happens, the system breaks.

That's my mistake not including the lines to block apt from upgrading kernel.

You can however reinstall and then mark packages to hold with the following command:

sudo apt-mark hold linux-image-current-rockchip64 linux-dtb-current-rockchip64 linux-u-boot-current-rk3318-box 

Then doing upgrades should be right fine.

Hi Jock and thank you very much for your reply. It certainly explains why the issue is happening.

I tried you recommended hold command and got the following result:

sudo apt-mark hold linux-image-current-rockchip64 linux-dtb-current-rockchip64 linux-u-boot-current-rk3318-box
linux-image-current-rockchip64 set on hold.
linux-dtb-current-rockchip64 set on hold.
E: Unable to locate package linux-u-boot-current-rk3318-box

It looks like the system cant find the package linux-u-boot-current-rk3318-box

Any idea why? and is it safe to do the upgrades without it?

Thanks again

Ah, you're right. It depends upon the kernel in the image you burnt actually.

If you took a recent (one week) image probably have the "edge" kernel (5.14), so the right command line is this:

sudo apt-mark hold linux-image-edge-rockchip64 linux-dtb-edge-rockchip64 linux-u-boot-edge-rk3318-box

Anyway, it is not so important to hold the upgrade of the u-boot package. The offenders are the other twos.

A strange behaviour just happened. Using armbian-config, I toggled led option 1, saved and tried to reboot and all I get is a series of lines trying to run a script??

now the system does not boot anymore and I totally lost the installation which has taken days. Is there anyway to rescue it ??

There is no led-conf option in armbian-config, it's in rk3318-config.

It is not a trial and error, rk3318-config is very explicit about choosing "Generic" option when the board is not listed in the options.

You must not choose any led config which is not suitable for your board.

edit: to recovery you have to use the multitool and manually remove the led-conf overlay from /boot/armbianEnv.txt