Helios64 reboots after shutdown - instead of stay powered off

bunducafe

Hi folks,

I am puzzled. When I am away for a few days I usually shut down my nas. It does indeed shut down but over night comes up again. Now I would like to know what triggers that unwanted restart here...

I am currently on 21.08.3 Buster with Linux rockchip64 5.10.63 and do have OMV running... I could unplug the battery next time but I'd rather solve the issue the correct way.

It's strange to me because I did not change any system parameters in OMV or via SSH. I do believe that an update to the latest kernel did mess things up.

Where do I have to have a look?

I am currently away from the office, so I can only verify that once I am back in a week or so... But as I did not encounter that issue beforehand I wonder if it can occur "just" out of the blue...?!

Okay, just connected via VPN: No alarm set, so RTC is not the culprit.

I'd love to bump this thread one more time as it really annoys me.

I was reinstalling OMV but it seems that it is not the culprit of the unwanted boot after a shutdown. Yesterday I installed the alpha OMV6 and it ran fine. I shut it down over night and ejected also the sdcard but this morning the blue leds a are flushing again

I did format the eMMc, too beforehand so I have absolutely no idea why the helios64 repeatedly comes up again. Why does it not stay shut down? And: Where do I have to look in order to get the server to behave like I want it to?

Probably start by taking a fresh sd card, install current armbian, do not install anything else and try again. 

If it does not restart is seems OMV problem. 

If it does, check WOL (wake on lan) or similar functions. And attach serial console and log it while powered off, to see what happens on start. 

Maybe the hardware / power supply is faulty or do you by chance have intermittent power failures where you live?

I am pretty sure there is no "auto restart" in general armbian. For helios64 specifics you can check here: 

https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/patch/kernel/archive/rockchip64-5.10

https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/packages/bsp/helios64

And since no one else is reporting this, I cant image it is a general problem ;)

@Heisath Yes, that's exactly why I am "puzzled".

I have to get the console going then which in the past did not work well together with my MacBook Air. Anyhow, let's give it another try...

Beyond that: I did a fresh install with armbian and further with a fresh OMV.

WOL is not enabled nor is the GPIO Auto-Power On.

I will report once I found the culprit or if I need any further assistance :)

Okay, my bad. I just should think a little bit more beforehand then I could solve things myself.

Well, as I was affected by the malfunction of the eMMC after having upgraded the Linux kernel i did format the eMMC but did not pay attention that it still able to boot from that partition. A look into the Troubleshooting section would have solved everything within minutes: https://wiki.kobol.io/helios64/troubleshoot/

Anyhow. I can now turn off the machine as expected and everything's fine.