armbian-config -> System -> Enable Desktop sometimes says "Killed"

mahaju

I am using orangepi zero LTS board

I have seen this happen with both Armbian_21.08.1_Orangepizero_focal_current_5.10.60.img and Armbian_21.08.1_Orangepizero_buster_current_5.10.60.img images, although this problem seemingly solved itself randomly in the focal version. I am not sure what is up with that, I am currently testing on the buster version. I am using the serial console for controlling the board (ttyS0)

I have already downloaded "Desktop with browser and softwares" from armbian-config -> System

After this the menu item changes to armbian-config -> System -> Enable Desktop

If I go to this menu item, it askes me if I want to autologin -> Yes, No

After I choose Yes the board sort of hangs for a while and I get a sudden message saying killed and it it takes me out of the armbian-config menu and into the command prompt

When I reboot the board after this, the SPI TFT LCD attached to the board does not go into GUI mode (the LCD itself is being correctly detected, have a look at my question related to that here:

The Armbian boot up messages show (multiple times) that "starting lightdm service has failed".

Going back to armbian-config -> System, the menu option is still "Enable Desktop" which I believe should be "disable desktop" in case GUI desktop was actually enabled

What is happening here, and how do I make sure GUI desktop gets properly enabled? A solution for both focal and buster will be appreciated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.