Building an out of tree kernel object

ajellisuk

Hello

I am trying to build a driver for a PineCube. The driver is Cedar_Ve.ko. Unfortnately I'm running in to problems either building the driver or deploying it. I have tried 3 approaches, but not work.

1) I downloaded the source for the kerenl 5.10.6 which I'm using from here: https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/armbian-apt/pool/main/l/linux-source-5.10.60-current-sunxi/ and built it using the following commands:

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- sunxi_defconfig

make LOCALVERSION="-sunxi" ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- zImage modules dtbs

I then cloned the source for the Cedar driver from here https://github.com/uboborov/sunxi-cedar-mainline

I built the driver against the above kernel using this command line:

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- LOCALVERSION="-sunxi" KERNEL_SOURCE=../linux-source-5.10.60-sunxi/ 

Using the above steps the driver cross compiled, but when I tried to load it on the PineCube, the module failed to load. The kernel log gave the following message:

cedar_ve: version magic '5.10.60-sunxi SMP mod_unload ARMv7 p2v8 ' should be '5.10.60-sunxi SMP mod_unload ARMv7 thumb2 p2v8 '

2) Having tried the above steps, and not being able to find a way to resolve the error with the above driver, I tried the above steps but using the kernel in the armbian sources here

build/cache/sources/linux-mainline/orange-pi-5.10/

But the build failed with

/bin/sh: 1: scripts/basic/fixdep: not found

I looked in the source tree for the kerenl for orange-pi-5.10, and could see that fixdep was not built.

3) Finally I tried building the driver on the PineCube itself, but the build failed with:

./include/linux/page-flags-layout.h:95:2: error: #error "Not enough bits in page flags"

So my questions are what is the recommended approach to building an out of tree module for Armbian? And in the case of method 2 how do I get the build process to build fixdep?

Thanks in Advance

Andrew

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.