Armbian Focal release have no ixgbe kernel module

Aleksandr

Armbianmonitor:

U need ixgbe to run my Intel X550T 10G Ethernet NIC.

That module seems to be a part of linux-modules-$(uname -r) package. My kernel version is 5.10.60-rockchip64. However, I do not have linux-modules-5.10.60-rockchip64 available via apt.

# apt install linux-modules-$(uname -r)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-modules-5.10.60-rockchip64
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-modules-5.10.60-rockchip64'

I have apt downloaded linux-modules of some greater kernel release to make sure it provides ixgbe.ko.

It does:

# apt install --download-only linux-modules-5.11.0-40-generic

# dpkg --contents /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-modules-5.11.0-40-generic_5.11.0-40.44~20.04.2_arm64.deb | grep ixgbe
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2021-10-26 15:50 ./lib/modules/5.11.0-40-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe/
-rw-r--r-- root/root    665577 2021-10-26 15:50 ./lib/modules/5.11.0-40-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe/ixgbe.ko
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2021-10-26 15:50 ./lib/modules/5.11.0-40-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbevf/
-rw-r--r-- root/root    148153 2021-10-26 15:50 ./lib/modules/5.11.0-40-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbevf/ixgbevf.ko

How do I get ixgbe for my actual kernel?

Thanks,

- Aleksandr

12 minutes ago, Werner said:

Create your own kernel packages with custom configuration (enable the driver as module to say) using our build framework: https://github.com/armbian/build

That sounds like a last resort solution.

Can ixgbe be fetched via apt?

Armbian already has it in linux-modules-5.11.0-40-generic. Is linux-modules-5.10.60-rockchip64 available?

2 minutes ago, Aleksandr said:

Can ixgbe be fetched via apt?

No.

2 minutes ago, Aleksandr said:

linux-modules-5.11.0-40-generic

This package comes from upstream and has nothing to do with Armbian. Also your system will no longer boot if you try to install it since userspace providers (Debian/Ubuntu) kernels will not work on the board you are using.

3 minutes ago, Aleksandr said:

Is linux-modules-5.10.60-rockchip64 available?

Armbian does not provide an extra modules package. Modules is included in the linux-image.

On 11/19/2021 at 6:03 PM, Igor said:

doesn't seems to have any real world use case once PCI is gone for NIC.

In my case, this kind of setup is perfect for testing if my copper wiring capable of 10G bandwidth.

My new apartment is going to have Cat.6 wires built into concrete walls and it's important to have ability to check that it's done right as soon as possible. I want something portable to be attached at both ends of individual network segment and prove that it's running at 10G speed.

A professional solution for that might cost $5k+: LINKRUNNER 10G Professional KIT. An alternative would be spend $500 on 10G DAC Ethernet switch (like TP-Link TL-SX1008) and another $500 on RockPro64 + Intel X550 setup. I end up having a basic "10G network tester" plus I am re-using all of its components after.

I was looking a distribution for a my Rockpro64 that has X550 drivers. I think I will stick with Debian at this point.

43 minutes ago, Aleksandr said:

if my copper wiring capable of 10G bandwidth.

RockPRO and that card will certainly not tell you that since it can only utilise 10Gb lan up to 50-60% max.

I want something portable

I use this one. Works as advertised (on i7 laptop), can utilize 10Gb up to 100%, but yes, it's a bit pricey.

I was looking a distribution for a my Rockpro64 that has X550 drivers. I think I will stick with Debian at this point.

Even that driver might be included in that - nobody test, nobody use build - you can expect all sorts of troubles we have under control. I gave you best possible advice. When you send a merge request, kernel is automatically recompiled (example). You just download it from that Pull request artefact, unzip & install (dpkg -i kernel.deb), reboot and your driver is present. Next builds (apt update ; apt upgrade) will automatically include this driver. Believe me, generic Linux distribution might have better general support, but those single board computers are not your desktop PC / server.