Can't start kernel with U-Boot built from source

MikePooh

Hi!

I have Orange Pi Pc Plus and Armbian based on Linux 5.8.11-trunk which successfully loads with any U-Boot taken from official Armbian distro. However I need to do minor changes in U-Boot KConfig (Allow store env vars in ext4). For that purposes I cloned U-Boot from its GitHub repo and build it.

make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- orangepi_pc_plus_defconfig
make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf-

This make me a u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin file which I transferred to my SD card.

The U-BOOT loading step passes well, and I've seen "Starting kernel ..." However kernel doesn't start.

I've set VERBOSITY=7 in armbianEnv.txt and seen that kernel loading just suspends on different steps time by time.

I've tried to build and use different versions of U-Boot, form 2022-01-rc3 (latest) to 2020-10 which is used in default Armbian distro and got the same effect.

Maybe I am missing some KConfig params? Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, MikePooh said:

U-Boot taken from official Armbian distro.

Armbian distro is a side product. Main product is Armbian build framework which provides environment where one can recompile whole image or its vital parts successfully with far greater certainty. It also exists because we want to avoid spending time researching problems you have ...

It looks like you are doing things right, but without study its impossible to say.

1 hour ago, MikePooh said:

Please advice.

Proceed this way:

https://zuckerbude.org/armbian-using-create-patches/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.