how to install armbian to emmc

Ryanfab

my board S902x 

I have download Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.9.0.xz from https://disk.yandex.ru/d/_rQgn_FosYuW0g/20.10/20201014

I extract xz -d Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.9.0.xz

then burn using balena

some changes are

extlinux/extlinux.conf

LABEL Armbian
LINUX /zImage
INITRD /uInitrd

FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb
APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

boot.ini become

ODROIDN2-UBOOT-CONFIG

if test "${devtype}" = ""; then setenv devtype "/dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb"; fi

if fatload ${devtype} ${devnum} 0x1000000 u-boot.ext; then go 0x1000000; fi;

rename u-boot-s905x-s912 to u-boot.ext

when I put on reboot_mode=cold_boot

InUsbBurn
[MSG]sof
Set Addr 6
Get DT cfg
Get DT cfg
Get DT cfg
set CFG

then I send command from windows cli updater

c:\update bulkcmd "run start_mmc_autoscript;"

I can running linux

I need advice to install to emmc

appreciate your response.

thank you

root@arm-64:~# fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk1

Disk /dev/mmcblk1: 7.3 GiB, 7818182656 bytes, 15269888 sectors

Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disklabel type: dos

Disk identifier: 0x8b04b650

Device         Boot   Start     End Sectors Size Id Type

/dev/mmcblk1p1      1953792  2953215   999424  488M  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

/dev/mmcblk1p2      2955264 15269887 12314624  5.9G 83 Linux

root@arm-64:~# fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 14.9 GiB, 15931539456 bytes, 31116288 sectors

Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disklabel type: dos

Disk identifier: 0x7272c9e5

Device         Boot   Start     End Sectors Size Id Type

/dev/mmcblk0p1        32768  1081343  1048576  512M  e W95 FAT16 (LBA)

/dev/mmcblk0p2      1081344 30805119 29723776 14.2G 83 Linux

• Ryanfab changed the title to how to install armbian to emmc

I have a T95 Minimx+ (Amlogic s905x) with 1 GB ram and 8GB flash

I followed balbes150 posts and downloaded Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_buster_current_5.9.0.img burnt it to flash and renamed u-boot-s905x-s912 to u-boot.ext. I also edited extlinux.conf

I nserted the sd card into the TV box, and it booted but stopped at 'Starting Kernel'

I have attached the extlinux.conf file and a screenshot of the booting sequence. Any help would be appreciatwed as I have 10 of these boxes that i need to instal Armbian on.

Thank you very much

IMG_1019.jpg

extlinux.conf extlinux.conf-menu

Hey im running Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_buster_current_5.9.0.img on an X96 Max (S905x2) and it works fine from sd-card but since this build is command line only, im not sure how to copy it to eMMc, so far all my attempts ended in me reinstalling armbian alltogether. 
(i used to run a desktop build and copying to eMMc was easy by mouseclick but now i need buster to run open media vault and i need to do it via command line)

If anyone can point me to what fille/script i need to run id be more than happy.

2 hours ago, boxmeister said:

If anyone can point me to what fille/script i need to run id be more than happy.

This is covered in the last paragraph of the TV Box FAQ entry: Installation Instructions for TV Boxes with Amlogic CPUs

On 12/25/2021 at 8:00 PM, ning said:

if you don't want to keep vendor OS, just simply install mainline uboot, and install https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/u-boot-menu it will generate extlinux.conf which similar to grub.conf.

hello Ning..

Can you point to a detailed step by step instructions? I am running (bullseye) with Linux 5.9.0-arm-64 on a Amlogic s905x (1G+8G T95x) from the sd card and want to run it from the emmc. I dont care about the vendor android OS that came on the box

Thank you!

Hi, after the boot, there´s a script called install-aml.sh, maybe located in /boot or / system, run it to install in emmc!
Run it using  the bash command: sh install-aml.sh.  
Once  copied to emmc, reboot the box soon and install all the packages that you need.

This file does a physical copy of whole system to emmc, it uses the "dd" command, precisely.

On 2/2/2022 at 2:45 AM, ccs1664 said:

Hi, after the boot, there´s a script called install-aml.sh, maybe located in /boot or / system, run it to install in emmc!
Run it using  the bash command: sh install-aml.sh.  
Once  copied to emmc, reboot the box soon and install all the packages that you need.

This file does a physical copy of whole system to emmc, it uses the "dd" command, precisely.

Hi ccs1664:

I am new to the Armbian. I am thinking of installing my Armbian from SD card to the emmc on my TV Box but worrying that might lose my multiboot (or the  "toothpick method") from the SD card. Can I still able to boot into LibreElec/CoreElec/Batocera from SD card once I have installed my Armbian into my TV box with S905X3?

@SteeMan Yes, I have read the post that you have mentioned. That's why I know about the "toothpick method" for activating the multiboot function.😀

It may or may not work.  For example the installs for coreelec and armbian are incompatible.

I was thinking of using the EmuElec/LibraElec and Armbian in my TV box. I have drilled on how to do this from various sources. I know that coreelec use a different way to boot up the system from Armbian, but I am not sure if Eumelec/LibraElec may have the same problem. Maybe I am going to use both Armbian and Emuelec solely on external drives instead.

Wouldn't it  be possible if I have installed Armbian on emmc and boot with Batocera on SD card/USB?

Edited by wyim

On 3/15/2023 at 10:34 AM, wyim said:

Wouldn't it  be possible if I have installed Armbian on emmc and boot with Batocera on SD card/USB?

I don't know if this is possible or not since I don't know anything about what Batocera is.

Unless Batocera uses the same booting process as Armbian, it is unlikely.