Suggestion: ask Fastly for bandwidth for mirrors

This is currently a low priority problem - we gain short and mid term absolutely nothing except losing hours for communication. And users also don't gain anything since current infrastructure is already in fairly good shape.

https://github.com/armbian/mirror

We have a lot bigger problems elsewhere - for example - people that want to help has to wait several weeks for processing since we don't have full time staff that has all day long talking with them. Then we need someone to drive this and that project, but we lack both parties ...

2 hours ago, voltagex said:

Seems like Armbian would be big enough to apply for this: https://www.fastly.com/open-source/

Thanks for the suggestion.   Fast.ly is an awesome platform

Yeah we  actually were using them via fosshost mirroring prior.    Ironically it didn't work well for our image use case but was okay for apt repos.

Took some tuning, and still had some weaknesses with the upstream fosshost mirrors they were caching. 

Anyway for our use case our mirror network is in great shape now and gives us better control.... 

8 hours ago, voltagex said:

Your build script went out to BitTorrent without asking me to get some file - how many non-US / non-EU users do you have? I realise Australians are going to be a tiny percentage of your users but it was definitely noticeable.

Many.  I think the feature was suggested by someone in China.  Honestly the first time we've received negative feedback  on it.    

I know we do webseeds, but I've never dug into it.    

Is it illegal to connect to torrent trackers in Australia?

3 hours ago, lanefu said:

Is it illegal to connect to torrent trackers in Australia?

No, and apologies, I was a bit snarky there.

I understand your position but still think some "local" mirrors would be a big help. Maybe I should ask someone at AARNet...

Integrated. Defaults changed to not use Torrent network anymore

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/3306

For already cloned framework, you will need to copy config/templates/config-example.conf to userpatches/ or just edit USE_TORRENT="no" parameter in a config.

4 hours ago, voltagex said:

but still think some "local" mirrors would be a big help. Maybe I should ask someone at AARNet...

One in AU and one in NZ would be ideally. We were close to set a mirror in Wellington, but our space needs were too big for what they could give us. Perhaps they have upgraded ... 

1 hour ago, voltagex said:

How much space is required?

Archive optional

root@armbian:/home/armbian/repo# du -sh ./*                                     

103G ./apt                                                                   

3.4T ./archive                                                               

4.0K ./armbian-logo.png                                                      

446G ./dl

On 1/13/2022 at 1:21 PM, lanefu said:

Archive optional

root@armbian:/home/armbian/repo# du -sh ./*                                     

103G ./apt                                                                   

3.4T ./archive                                                               

4.0K ./armbian-logo.png                                                      

446G ./dl

Whoa, that's quite an archive. Maybe archive.org could take it, like they do with Arch?

Important Information

Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Guidelines