Serial Console (P14)

inconsistant

Using P14 in the documentation (https://wiki.kobol.io/helios64/usb/#serial-console) I am unable to get a serial connection to work. Has anyone been able to get UART2 debug Serial working using P14 and an FT232 USB cable?

With Kobol plug pulled looking to just have this run in DAS mode over USB-C to still get use without fear but still need to maintain serial console to monitor booting as it sometimes locks up on boot. Downclocking to 1Ghz or below conservative seems to do a lot better but still looking to have remote debug console.

When I try to connect I just get the follow error and no output.

pl2303_get_line_request - failed: -32

On 1/27/2022 at 12:19 AM, inconsistant said:

When I try to connect I just get the follow error and no output.

pl2303_get_line_request - failed: -32

Where do you get this message? As far as I read the 2 pins are simply put parallel to the on-board FTDI chip. So the board shouldn't know if there is something connected or not.

If this is a message from your client, then blame your PL2303. If you don't connect it to the Helios, and you short rx and tx (of the PL2303) you should see a local echo in your terminal emulator.

Further, you are aware you should also connect ground?

13 hours ago, RockBian said:

Where do you get this message? As far as I read the 2 pins are simply put parallel to the on-board FTDI chip. So the board shouldn't know if there is something connected or not.

If this is a message from your client, then blame your PL2303. If you don't connect it to the Helios, and you short rx and tx (of the PL2303) you should see a local echo in your terminal emulator.

Further, you are aware you should also connect ground?

I'm getting the message on the client USB side. I think I got either a bad cable or just the wrong one. Ordered this to try (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BLHGWHS). I was grounding the cable, but I think the PL2303 is looking for more juice.