Error in function compile_kernel

I repurposed my old build system hardware and am trying to build a new one. Nice faster box ;]

On this new linux host I create a virtualbox machine and install Hirsute from the link in the documentation. I do an apt update / upgrade. I install git and clone the build directory according to the documentation.

Everything seems to go well until it gets through a lot of the .o files and gives

[error] ERROR in function compile_kernel [ main.sh:574 -> main.sh:479 -> compilation..sh:506 -> general.sh:0 ]

the line above is always the same, although it comes after different .o files for different boards.

I've rebuilt the virtual machine several times and the error is consistent. I've selected several different boards. Wether I give root a password or use sudo same result. I've got this to work fine in the past and have compiled a lot of images. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong this time.

Where should I look to try to figure out what I need to change?

34 minutes ago, Technicavolous said:

Why is the update / upgrade breaking things?

You mean updating host machine? It should not break anything. When it does break, show errors so we can understand what is happening.

as root in the virtual machine

do-release-upgrade

and a reboot fixed everything. Is this supported? It appears to have taken care of my issue here. It would make sense if repositories had changed.

There were many failed downloads and 502 errors during the previous attempts. I started from scratch this morning and it posted a note to upgrade. So I did and wow it ran first time! I've got two builds successful now with the same config selections as were failing before.

Sorry for the noise but it had me stumped.