X windows from armbian

FredrikA

Armbianmonitor:

I have been away from the forum for a while because my armbian has worked as a charm for a long while. Now however I have a minor problem

All my devices (nvidia-jetson nano, raspberry pi 4, raspberry pi 2W, raspberry pi 3) can do x-windows to xming (running windows on my main computer).

However none of my armbian can (running kernel Linux orangepi4 5.10.63-rockchip64, sunxi and sunxi64) start xeyes on my windows computer while

raspberry and tegra can, so nothing is wrong with my setup. What has changed regarding X11 since kernel 4.x?

Using "export DISPLAY=localhost:10.0" in all SBC:s ~/.bashrc

On armbian I get "Error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0"

On the others I get the xeyes app displaying as a x11 application.

Moved to P2P help, since it is not a RK3399-specific issue, nor a bug.

2 hours ago, FredrikA said:

export DISPLAY=localhost:10.0

How are you connecting from your Windows machine? If you are using putty, it will work without setting this env variable, since putty will make its own proxy (in fact, this variable will break it). If you are using Window's built-in ssh client, then you need to do the config on the Windows side.

After further experiments where I copied a successful setup from another computer, it seems like the bug is in putty. I.e. if I have a session, without X forward, and change it to X forward in the gui

it does not actually change the x forward setting.

And by the way I am using putty to connect and then xming for the x session.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.