Upgrading Cubietruck to 22.02

cw73

Hello,

I am running a Cubietruck with Armbian 21.08 Buster. I wonder if this can be upgraded to 22.02.

The usual

apt update
apt upgrade
apt dist-upgrade

does not install any new packages.

However I see e.g. the deb files for the kernel are existing in http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/armbian-apt/pool/main/l/linux-5.15.25-sunxi/ and also http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/armbian-apt/dists/buster/main/binary-armhf/Packages contains the new packages. The kernel is NOT set to freeze in armbian-config. Also that tool does not offer the new 20.02 packages. I seem to overlook something here. What prevents the installation (my apt skill are obviously limited...).

Thanks & regards,

Christoph

3 hours ago, cw73 said:

does not install any new packages.

Try apt update 3-4 times and new packages will come up. If I understand correctly, each time it will  update from a different repo. I did this today and at the 3rd repo (imola.... something) new packages showed up. Though I did not start the upgrade yet. If you upgrade, let us know how it went.

Thanks lampra!

I made a slide change in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list:

#deb http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/armbian-apt/ buster main buster-utils buster-desktop
deb http://apt.armbian.com/region/EU/ buster main buster-utils buster-desktop
christoph@bert:~$ 

The 2nd time I run apt-get update new 22.02 kernel files were picked up. I was brave and went for it:
Screenshot_2022-03-10_09-59-22.png.2926032735d12e8bc9dc8e2c26a19b92.png.

The welcome message still says "Armbian 21.05.6 Buster" but that was stuck also before. Kernel packages got successfully updated as you see,

So far everything works, but do not have any fancy things connected.

BTW, I have also a Cubieboard2. Here the same trick worked and it is now on Armbian 22.02 Focal

Cheers!

I guess the version number in the welcome message gets somehow filled from the VERSION variable set in /etc/armbian-release. Since it read "# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE" in the very first line, I did not attempt to mess around with it.

It's however like you say, the wrong version number there appears not harm (at least not that I noticed besides from the misleading login message)

Today I upgraded my Cubietruck running Ubuntu Bionic to 22.02 but after a reboot it could not load any modules. Each module load attempt ended in „exec format error”. I went back to 21.08 version for now. What could be wrong with 22.02?

For the welcome message, If this is an updated old installation (like mine from 2016) IIRW, you might need to manually uninstall an armbian package and reinstall it.

What is the output of

dpkg -l | grep -i armbian

mine is below, and the welcome message is correct:

root@cubietruck:~# dpkg -l | grep -i armbian
hi  armbian-bsp-cli-cubietruck       21.08.2                                          armhf        Tweaks for Armbian bullseye on cubietruck
ii  armbian-config                   21.11.0-trunk.85                                 all          Armbian configuration utility
hi  armbian-firmware-full            21.08.6                                          all          Linux firmware-full
ii  hostapd                          3:2.9-102~armbian21.05.1+1                       armhf        IEEE 802.11 AP and IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP Authenticator
ii  htop                             3.1.0-0~armbian20.08.2+1                         armhf        interactive processes viewer
ii  linux-libc-dev:armhf             21.08.6                                          armhf        Armbian Linux support headers for userspace development

Here we go:

christoph@bert:~$ dpkg -l | grep -i armbian
ii  armbian-bsp-cli-cubietruck                                  21.05.6                                 armhf        Tweaks for Armbian buster on cubietruck
ii  armbian-config                                              21.11.0-trunk.85                        all          Armbian configuration utility
ii  armbian-firmware                                            21.08.6                                 all          Linux firmware
ii  hostapd                                                     3:2.9-102~armbian21.11.0-trunk+1        armhf        IEEE 802.11 AP and IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP Authenticator
ii  htop                                                        3.1.0-0~armbian20.08.2+1                armhf        interactive processes viewer
ii  linux-dtb-current-sunxi                                     22.02.1                                 armhf        Armbian Linux DTB, version 5.15.25-sunxi current
ii  linux-image-current-sunxi                                   22.02.1                                 armhf        Linux kernel, armbian version 5.15.25-sunxi current
ii  linux-libc-dev:armhf                                        22.02.1                                 armhf        Armbian Linux support headers for userspace developmen

It looks that armbian-bsp-cli-cubietruck is still on an older version. Is it "safe" to re-install it? If yes, how?

1 minute ago, lampra said:

Probably this needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled manually

The package seems to be gone from the repos:

christoph@bert:~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall armbian-bsp-cli-cubietruck
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Reinstallation of armbian-bsp-cli-cubietruck is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgrad

Also browsing around doesn't let me find the required DEB file.

2 minutes ago, cw73 said:

The package seems to be gone from the repos:

Try

root@cubietruck:~# apt-cache search armbian-bsp-cli-cubietruck
armbian-bsp-cli-cubietruck - Tweaks for Armbian bullseye on cubietruck

If it exists, you could try

apt remove armbian-bsp-cli-cubietruck && apt install armbian-bsp-cli-cubietruck

6 minutes ago, lampra said:

I just noticed that you seem to be on "Buster" not on "Bullseye", so the message is probably correct.

You only upgraded the kernel

Correct. I might want to try the update from Buster to Bulleseye in a separate step. (I know it is not officially supported).

However I am rather scared to remove and re-install the BSP. I do not see it in the repository any more (despite apt-cache search returns something).

1 minute ago, cw73 said:

However I am rather scared to remove and re-install the BSP. I do not see it in the repository any more (despite apt-cache search returns something).

You could revisit this after the upgrade to Bullseye if needed.

I had to do this after an upgrade on a running system. Turns out nothing scary happened. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.