Extend Helios64 storage.

grek

Hey guys.

I have helios64 with 5x WD14tb red pro.... and ZFS fs. 

but currently im out of free space :(

I want to extend somehow my storage pool.

I'm wonder if it's possible to buy additional storage enclosure like from QNAP ( TL-D800C) - JBOD 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 type C and put additional 8x HDD

I wanted to create additional ZFS pool raidz1

Do You think it will work? 

ahaa. Well possible for sure in theory. However various sources do not like the idea having disks connected via USB in a raid configuration...

Did not experiment with that by myself yet so I cannot elaborate.

I think you did not give the most pertinent information.  It depends what is your current topology.  As redundancy is done at the vdev level in ZFS (if I am remembering my terminology correctly).

Depending on that, it can be possible to upgrade in place.  Topology will dictate how much effort that takes.

the helios64 runs a jmicron JMB585 sata controller, in theory you should be able to run an external sata expander enclosure running a jmicron JMB575  chipset. I have all the hardware sitting here but haven't had the chance to test it yet. possibly over the weekend ill get a chance. last time i tried running the drives off the helios64 power supply...things didn't go well.

I don't wanna be rude, but with you having already maxed out 70TB of capacity, this might be the time to consider moving to a larger storage device that also has active support behind it.

The Helios64 always was a low-power hobbyist device which still has problems that probably will not get fixed.

A larger device could also net you additional data protection features (hardware raid-controller, ECC-RAM, more CPU for checksums etc.).

On 4/15/2022 at 2:10 PM, Krita said:

the helios64 runs a jmicron JMB585 sata controller, in theory you should be able to run an external sata expander enclosure running a jmicron JMB575  chipset. I have all the hardware sitting here but haven't had the chance to test it yet. possibly over the weekend ill get a chance. last time i tried running the drives off the helios64 power supply...things didn't go well.

So had a crack at this again finally worked flawlessly, apparently a cheap 350mA USB power supply doesn't work. just plug it into the helios if required.....