Is Ubuntu 22.04 LTS going to be a supported userspace environment when released on the 21st April?

Myron

Was looking through Twitter and saw that a message can appear stating that Jammy LTS may be unsupported userspace?
I'm presently (with preset kernel build options used and no customisations) Armbian 22.05.0-trunk Focal with Linux 5.15.32-sunxi

Apparently my build is on 20.04 LTS?

~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS"

What would be any advantages and/consequences if someone invokes do-release-upgrade on or after the 21st of April on their SoC board?

Reference to article:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220406214352/https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu-server-from-20-04-to-22-04/

1 minute ago, Myron said:

What would be any advantages and/consequences if someone invokes do-release-upgrade on or after the 21st of April on their SoC board?

Most likely a broken system.

Userspace upgrades are neither tested nor supported due to lack of (human) resources.

I don't want to vouch for it but I assume yes, Jammy will be supported userspace and Focal being dropped.

Well...  In that case I have a space 32Gb SD card. I shall clone the working SD card, try and upgrade on the copy.  If it works, great.  If it does not, well....   Boo!!!

I shall report back here with my findings.

I'm back with my findings.  It worked, with the only problem not being able to login by SSH. I had set up a group ssh and had AllowGroups ssh in the configuration and for some reason, commented that line out and used AllowUsers myron in and SSH access is restored after restarting the sshd service.

I had to answer the questions about installing either the maintainers configuration or keeping the current configuration carefully.

So....  Result.....  I've upgraded to Jammy.  🙂